McGuiness talks about the tour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

djerdap

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
From atu2.com:

There's just five days to go until Irish rockers U2 launch their Vertigo world tour at the San Diego Sports Arena on Monday night.

And long-time band manger Paul McGuinness says the group enjoyed themselves during a week of rehearsals in Canada, at Vancouver's GM Place. Toronto has to wait until September for their four sold-out shows at the Air Canada Centre.

"It's fantastic," said McGuinness, speaking to The Sun in an exclusive Canadian newspaper interview down the line from Vancouver. "We're kind of semi-Canadian ourselves, because we've been working with (Toronto concert promoters) Arthur Fogel and Michael Cohl, so we feel pretty much at home here."

McGuinness said that while a crew moved into GM Place on Feb. 25 to start building the Vertigo stage, the band didn't arrive until last week following their March 14 induction into the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame at a ceremony in New York.

"We arrived that same night," said McGuinness, who was scheduled to leave Vancouver tonight. "We flew out of New York on Monday night and we got into Vancouver very early Tuesday morning."

The next thing for U2 singer Bono, guitarist The Edge, bassist Adam Clayton and drummer Larry Mullen Jr., who have been rehearsing in various locales since last December, is dress rehearsals, McGuinness said. They take place at the L.A. Sports Arena tomorrow, Friday and Saturday nights with some radio contest winners in attendance.

But while in Vancouver, he said, the band was pretty much left alone: "It was very quiet. No one bothered us. Canadians are very low-key, they leave you alone."

U2 didn't even get out on the mother of all Irish holidays. "I'm afraid St. Patrick's Day was a normal working day," said McGuinness.

McGuinness, who has been managing U2 for 27 years, ever since they formed in 1978, says Bono and company are looking forward to Monday's launch with equal amounts of excitement and nervousness.

"It's quite nerve-wracking," he said. "I'm not a performer. But for them, I think, they're always quite nervous about a new show. We've had some great shows in the past and people have high expectations of what's going to happen at a U2 concert. Anyone who doesn't feel scared going out and performing in front of 20,000 people would be a little odd anyway, I think. They're kind of sensible about it but like any performer, they get nervous and they want it to go well."

The Internet has been rife with rumours about the new Vertigo production, that it will be similar to the wildly successful Elevation trek when the band performed on a stripped-down stage encased in a heart-shaped catwalk.

McGuinness would only say it's an in-the-round stage at one end of the floor similar to the Elevation setup.

"It is a completely different production, but it shares characteristics with the Elevation production," he said.

As for songs, McGuinness said when you've been recording for 25-plus years, you have a lot to choose from.

"It's very difficult to get the balance right between the new material, which they're very excited about and which is currently on the radio, and on MTV and on MuchMusic, and the songs that people really expect to hear. But they are determined not to become their own kind of tribute band. It's not a greatest hits show. It's very important to us to get the new material into the spotlight, so you can expect most of the new album will feature in the set."

McGuinness said sales of U2's latest album, How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb, which is closing in on worldwide sales of nine million since its release last November, indicate it's poised to become the group's best-selling album ever.

They also won three Grammys in February for the album's first single, Vertigo.

"It's very unusual, in fact, unique," McGuinness said, "to be having a number one record, selling out a world tour, the week that you're being inducted into the Rock And Roll Of Fame," says McGuinness. "That's normally reserved for venerable, rather older, people."

A rehearsal set list

U2 fan site Interference posted this set list performed by the band during one of their private rehearsals in Vancouver last week. Band manager Paul McGuinness said it was accurate for that rehearsal, but he stressed that the band is working on a bunch of different set lists. He figures it must have been a fan outside the building "who could tell what the songs were through the steel doors," McGuinness told the Sun. (*Indicates from new album, How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb):

Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own *
Stuck In A Moment
Love And Peace Or Else *
Out Of Control
City Of Blinding Lights *
All Because Of You *
Yahweh *
Bad
Beautiful Day
Pride (In The Name Of Love)
Where The Streets Have No Name
Walk On
Elevation
One
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
Vertigo *
Miracle Drug *
Bullet The Blue Sky
With Or Without You
Running To Stand Still

© Toronto Sun/Canoe, 2005.

So, that very much unpopular setlist has been confirmed, but as McGuiness says, the band is working on a bunch of different setlists, which is great.
And it will not be a greatest hits setlist. God, I hope. Just give us finally some rarities.

Hah, you just beat me to posting that. One thing that bothers me and may give people the wrong impression is that the article fails to mention that setlist is NOT IN ORDER. I remember the person who posted it said they heard those songs rehearsed and listed them "in no particular order". And as much as people are annoyed about it, Running To Stand Still, Out Of Control, and 40 are definitely worth getting excited about! And we also know that's definitely not all that was rehearsed.

Now the BIG NEWS of that article: DIFFERENT SETLISTS! I think Blue Room called this one first, so commendations to him. This is incredibly exciting news - not since Lovetown have we had such variety! I am not getting my hopes up as Lovetown's variety is hard to beat, but ... wow, different sets!! Bring on the tour!

About the different setlists issue - maybe McGuiness wasn't implying there will be varied setlists, but they are trying and testing setlists for the tour, with basically the same songs, just differently combined.
Lovetown was varied, but mostly with the same songs and their placement in the mix. There were no groundbreaking changes like Pearl Jam, R.E.M., Radiohead or The Cure does these days.

djerdap said:
About the different setlists issue - maybe McGuiness wasn't implying there will be varied setlists, but they are trying and testing setlists for the tour, with basically the same songs, just differently combined.
Lovetown was varied, but mostly with the same songs and their placement in the mix. There were no groundbreaking changes like Pearl Jam, R.E.M., Radiohead or The Cure does these days.

McGuinness's statement could be taken multiple ways, but by stressing the band are rehearsing multiple different setlists when presented with one overheard rehearsal, I think that implies they are rehearsing some sets that differ markedly from that one. It wouldn't surprise me if they have written and practised a number of sets and then decide on two, as they are playing at least two nights in all cities but New York on the first leg. Should be interesting.

And regarding Lovetown, I know it definitely wasn't as varied as some bands, but in U2 terms, the variance was astronomical. I think they should employ a similar system now - a number of cohesive combinations (i.e. Desire/All Along The Watchtower, Streets/I Will Follow/ISHFWILF, Angel Of Harlem/WLCCT/Love Rescue Me) that can be rotated through the setlist and linked via rarer songs or numbers that are rotated. So instead of being locked into one setlist, they have combinations they can shuffle (but retain visual effects) and they can have a broad selection of songs from which they could use to put other songs into the mix, try out stuff, and if it works, keep it.

Here's a hypothetical.

Combinations:
1. Vertigo/All Because Of You/I Will Follow
2. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own/Bad/Where The Streets Have No Name
3. One/Yahweh/40
4. Love And Peace Or Else/Bullet The Blue Sky/Running To Stand Still
5. City Of Blinding Lights/Original Of The Species/Stuck In A Moment
6. Pride (In The Name Of Love)/Beautiful Day

Now here's two setlists showing what they could do if they used those combinations in conjunction with a pool of other songs.

Night #1
1. Vertigo
2. All Because Of You
3. I Will Follow
4. Until The End Of The World
5. Love And Peace Or Else
6. Bullet The Blue Sky
7. Running To Stand Still
8. City Of Blinding Lights
9. Original Of The Species
10. Stuck In A Moment
11. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
12. Bad
13. Where The Streets Have No Name
14. Mysterious Ways
15. Pride
16. Beautiful Day

17. Crumbs From Your Table
18. An Cat Dubh/Into The Heart
19. The Fly

20. One
21. Yahweh
22. 40

Night #2
1. Love And Peace Or Else
2. Bullet The Blue Sky
3. Running To Stand Still
4. New Year's Day
5. Pride
6. Beautiful Day
7. City Of Blinding Lights
8. Original Of The Species
9. Stuck In A Moment
10. She's A Mystery To Me
11. Kite
12. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
13. Bad
14. Where The Streets Have No Name
15. One
16. Yahweh

17. Vertigo
18. All Because Of You
19. I Will Follow

20. Out Of Control
21. Gloria
22. 40

good setlists but did i not read in various articles that the highlight is goona be the way they combine with or without you into where the streets have no name?

I still hope there will be more Achtung Baby, Pop songs and at least one Zooropa song which is not Stay! I wish that Lemon and Zoo Station will appear in a regular setlist. :drool:

Average: 21 songs
New album: 8 or 9
----------

That leaves 12 to 13 ´oldies´. I´m getting sick of people wanting more AB or more War etc. What do you expect: That they play 35 songs every night??

Don´t get me wrong... I would love to see them for 3 hours, but they are not like Springsteen or The Cure...

I'd like to thank Mr. McGuiness for confirming my rehearsal setlist.

I cannot tell you how much it amuses me to be publically singled out in a published article by u2's manager. I'm sure they thought everything was relatively inaudible outside. "Hear through the steel doors" - Yep, just like Superman!!!

For the record, on the balcony walkway of GM Place there would only be one thin velvet curtain and one sheet of glass seperating the inside from the outside.

On thursday, I could tell what songs they were playing from a block away. They had their sound system cranked to capacity, likely beyond what legally allowed in concerts with an audience. If you had access to brand new system with an "soundproof" venue, wouldn't you check out it's capabilites?

Lastly, this article also indirectly confirms that there's nobody left in Vancouver.

U2FP

Ditto for Peter. I was eagerly awaiting your reports from Vancouver. No, who's gonna do the same for rehearsals in LA this week?

Silly typo...Sould be "Now, who's gonna do the same for rehearsals in LA this week?"

By the way, did we know there were going to be dress rehearsals Thursday, Friday and Saturday?

U2 is going to have to shake up the setlist a little. With all the multiple shows in one city they'll have to move things around. I'm excited to hear Paul say "But they are determined not to become their own kind of tribute band." Hopefully were hear some rare gems this tour to alongside the new material.

whasjoewahn said:
Don´t get me wrong... I would love to see them for 3 hours, but they are not like Springsteen or The Cure...
As much as I'd love the idea, Bono would lose his voice often in that kind of grueling playtime.

If you read the article closely, and dig into this sections archives: PM only confirms the Wednesday March 16th, rehearsal. It was posted by "Mister MacPhisto"

U2FP

zoopop said:
U2 is going to have to shake up the setlist a little. With all the multiple shows in one city they'll have to move things around. I'm excited to hear Paul say "But they are determined not to become their own kind of tribute band." Hopefully were hear some rare gems this tour to alongside the new material.

Paul and the band have said this before. Most recently, Elevation tour.

I'm not going to get my hopes up too much for the varying set lists.

I think this is what we'll see.

For sure you'll get the new songs. A majority of those will be played at every show, unless a song just doesn't work live. But with U2 rehearsing, they'll know before a case of trail by fire (IGWSHA and DYFL on Popmart).

Then you'll get the classics, Streets, Bad/All I want, etc.

Then there will be the few chosen songs off of each album. Looks like BD, Elevation, Kite, and maybe Walk On from ATYCLB. And then one or 2 from each album after that.

I won't go as far as to say U2 are performing a Greatest Hits act, a la Rolling Stones. But they do play only their hits. What makes these shows much more than a Stones show is, #1 you have all the members still intact. #2, the passion that the band puts into them. And finally, U2 always finds a new wrinkle or two in each song, keeping them fresh.

So I stress to not get hopes up in U2 pulling out a song like Drowning Man or Seconds, or something else that's obscure.

U2 will play their hits, and they will play them well, and I will enjoy it all.

Axver, the first setlist is realistic and excellent. The second one, i think is very far fetched in that there are "oldies" 2 - 5. I think the beginning of the show (first handful) will all be Bomb tunes.

Although songs 17 thru 22 on setlist 2 RULES !

well obviously they will be playing probably 7 or so songs from the new album + electrical storm.

i hope they don't play as many from ATYCLB and play some older and/or rarer stuff.

Numb1075 said:
Axver, the first setlist is realistic and excellent. The second one, i think is very far fetched in that there are "oldies" 2 - 5. I think the beginning of the show (first handful) will all be Bomb tunes.

Although songs 17 thru 22 on setlist 2 RULES !

Yeah, I know the second one suffers from too much new material at the opening - I was just making that up on the spot to suit the combinations that I had created without thinking too much in terms of new/old, just to show what can be done if you have interchangeable, rotatable setlist elements. And I really would love it if they did what no-one expects and ripped out a few oldies to begin on a couple of nights - just varying the set a little. I know it won't happen. But Bullet --> RTSS --> Streets before going into some new stuff would make for an awesome opening.

Sweet Tart said:
well obviously they will be playing probably 7 or so songs from the new album + electrical storm.

i hope they don't play as many from ATYCLB and play some older and/or rarer stuff.

Considering that Electrical Storm hasn't been said to be rehearsed, I'm becoming slightly worried. I actually am beginning to think they are keeping it for Europe, where the single did much better, and will play The Hands That Built America in the US.

And typical pattern says they play roughly 3 songs from the previous album, but ATYCLB was U2's least played live album since The Unforgettable Fire ...

Back
Top Bottom