MAJOR SPOILER ALERT - Saturday Rehearsal Setlist - Whaddya Think?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
TheBrazilianFly said:
Edge sings the falsetto chorus again on The Fly?! :faint: :combust:

that's awesome

BonoVoxSupastar said:
With the stage set up, how are those seats behind stage going to be?

I was wondering the same thing. I'm stuck behind the stage at a couple shows.

during "Zoo Station", Edge is using a "Vertigo" guitar -- black with the red circles on it :rockon:

Last edited:
My take, for what it's worth:

- I'm sure for both songs and visuals, the band kept some stuff close to the vest and will break out a few surprises tomorrow night in San Diego.

- Also, I REALLY hope that we get a mixed setlist this time around. As good as it sounds like it was yesterday, I'd be all for COBL not even being the opener every night. Mix that up, too.

Or, even if the basic structure remains the same (ie, the same opener, the same closers, etc) at least rotate songs in and out of the middle of the set. If 10/12 songs changed every night -- from a selection of 25 or more, it sounds like), this could be the tour we've all been waiting for.

Mid-May can't get here soon enough...or, at least the bootlegs. :)

BonoVoxSupastar said:
With the stage set up, how are those seats behind stage going to be?

And what's with Bono playing drums, the whole song???

Nope just at the end, after the "break" of drums towards the end. Bono played the single tom/cymbal and Larry went back to his kit on stage.

Does Edge sing "Love... We shine like a burning star" during The Fly or is it Bono?

Need to know!

God Part III said:
Does Edge sing "Love... We shine like a burning star" during The Fly or is it Bono?

Need to know!

It has already been posted (even in this very same page) that The Edge sings the chorus.

Last edited:
if anyone who attended the gig last night, could they describe how Elevation started? If it wasnt the trippy into, did it sound like the SNL performance beginning?

TheBrazilianFly said:

It has already been posted (even in this very same page) that The Edge sings the chorus.

Must have skipped that. Thought he asked about it. :huh:

They completely snubbed Zooropa for this set list. I'm not too fond of the songs from Boy. I'd rather hear anything from other records. Where is Bad? Where is Stay or Lemon?

I also don't like COBL to be thrown away as an opener. It's such a good song and I feel that it's wasted as an opener. When you listen to an opener you're usually just looking forward to the rest of the show that's about to come.

I do hope they mix things up a LOT more.

they'll def. switch up the list, i think "I Will Follow" will replace "An Cat Dubh" sometimes, UTEOTW will replace "Elevation" (hopefully...), it's gonna be a great tour :up:

It would be awesome to hear "Cat Dubh" live, edge's guitar at the end
:drool:

But if I'm a at a concert that starts off with City of Blinding Lights/Electric Co/I Will Follow I might pass out.

jon_lemire said:
My take, for what it's worth:

- I'm sure for both songs and visuals, the band kept some stuff close to the vest and will break out a few surprises tomorrow night in San Diego.

-

Good point - these are rehearsals, so maybe the band did not feel it necessary to rehearse standards like UTEOTW, WOWY, or New Year's Day. I bet at least 1 of these shows up Monday night.

U2Girl1978 said:
I'm curious...Did Bono do that funky jig at the beginning of zoo station like he did during the fly tour?

What about Bullet the Blue Sky? Did he do that whole spotlight thing?

Bono was doing his Zoo Station steps but he wasn't doing any kicking or arm motions. The steps were stretched out and high and he balanced on one leg a couple of times. He started out on the ramp when the lights came on with smoke coming from the ramp. You could tell Bono loves doing that song by the way he was moving along the ramp. The song ROCKED! It was the highlight of the setlist for me.

Bono didn't use a spotlight during Bullet. He did use one during '40' though.

i cant bloody wait..... sooooooooo close, now if a bootleg of one of the shows happens to fall into my hands, do i watch it, or wait until June when i get to see the show Live

roybal99 said:

Bono was doing his Zoo Station steps but he wasn't doing any kicking or arm motions. The steps were stretched out and high and he balanced on one leg a couple of times. He started out on the ramp when the lights came on with smoke coming from the ramp. You could tell Bono loves doing that song by the way he was moving along the ramp. The song ROCKED! It was the highlight of the setlist for me.

Bono didn't use a spotlight during Bullet. He did use one during '40' though.

Cool! :D

I Move in Mysterious Ways said:
(prayers answered . . . The Electric Co is back)

I've been asking for this one since 1998.:yes:

I'm wondering if they start the show with the house lights on like on the Elevation tour. Yes? No? I'm thinking no but being in Alberta I missed the rehearsal so I have no idea. Go figure.

BrownEyedBoy said:
They completely snubbed Zooropa for this set list. I'm not too fond of the songs from Boy. I'd rather hear anything from other records. Where is Bad? Where is Stay or Lemon?

I also don't like COBL to be thrown away as an opener. It's such a good song and I feel that it's wasted as an opener. When you listen to an opener you're usually just looking forward to the rest of the show that's about to come.

I do hope they mix things up a LOT more.

I have to disagree with the COBL thing you mentioned. I think it's a fantastic way to open. It reminds me of Mofo in the sense that it's not instantly recognizable to the casual people who'll be there but we'll know it and it's a builder. I like How it's gonna build into this crescendo of "Oh you look so beautiful tonight!!!!" I think it's perfect. To each their own though:wink:

I've always thought COBL was an ideal opener.

And the idea of someone bitching about this setlist makes me chortle out loud. I feel deep pity for those who could find things to complain about with this.

broken toy said:
I've always thought COBL was an ideal opener.

And the idea of someone bitching about this setlist makes me chortle out loud. I feel deep pity for those who could find things to complain about with this.

Agreed. Well said.

COBL is going to be outstanding as an opener, for the shows it opens. I tried to warn people that it wasnt Vertigo. Get ready for the bitching once the tour gets rolling. Honestly, Vertigo as the opener would have bothered me a little. Its just to damn obvious. It may still open some shows, but I like it better in the encore personally.

As said by others, I dont really care. They could come out and play the Elevation setlist and I would enjoy it. Its U2! Keep things in perspective. If you had told me a year ago they would be playing Electric Co, An Cat Dubh, Zoo Station, The Fly and Gloria I would have said you were on drugs. This type of setlist would be like a fans fantasy style setlist IMO. People get pissed when they play only the hits and they get pissed when they dont. U2 cannot win regardless with the setlist.

Hallucination said:
I'm wondering if they start the show with the house lights on like on the Elevation tour. Yes? No? I'm thinking no but being in Alberta I missed the rehearsal so I have no idea. Go figure.

So yeah before it gets lost in the shuffle were the house lights on at the start or off. And yeah I know it's pretty self righteous to be quoteing my own posts.:laugh:

Just off the subject slightly....does anyone think that with the set list we've been provided with here, and the possibility of other real 'gems' being played on the tour that haven't been played for many years, we could be looking at a live album release at the end of this tour?

neilm said:
Just off the subject slightly....does anyone think that with the set list we've been provided with here, and the possibility of other real 'gems' being played on the tour that haven't been played for many years, we could be looking at a live album release at the end of this tour?

Nope. I don't think so. I would be very surprised though if they did not release another dvd. Every band seems to put out a live dvd every tour now. U2 put out 2 for the last tour. Actual live albums seem to be going the way of the dinasour. Who knows though, I suppose it could happen. But I would not welcome it if it ment sacraficeing a live concert dvd.

The real problem is that they can't play 50 songs a night.

I've always thought the right course for them was to play a handful of "hits," a lot of the last couple of albums (whatever they are) and a handful of "resurrections." But even after a bold and beautiful setlist like Saturday's, you have people mad because they stiffed Zooropa and Pop. I suppose they could have dumped Bullet and Elevation for something like Stay and Gone... but honestly, people.

If you're not a fan of "Boy," maybe you can save money and grief and not go this tour. Thank god I love U2, period, and enjoy every one of their albums and singles. It apparently saves me a lot of heartache.

Back
Top Bottom