Love is blindness in a gig

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wished they'd play it in EVERY setlist this tour!

It makes sense since the return to the ZOO-TV bit in the encore.

I wish.
One of my favorite songs ever.

should have played it on the third leg of the Elevation tour every gig, now that would have been great.

Agreed. But I'm still trying to figure out why the original poster thought it would be a good song to play in relation to the bombings in London. :huh:

This song almost got to be about the terrorism in Northern Ireland. If you listen to it with that in mind it almost fits perfectly.

In an parked car, on an crowed street (car bomb)
Love is clockworks, love is cold steel (A bomb is produced by steel and controlled by an clock)
No call, no warning (Since when did terrorist warn thier victims?)

A common misinterpretion in my opinion is that this one acctually is about love and sex but I think that's wrong. The love that Bono is talking about is most probaly not the one between man and woman, it's probably about the love you feel for your country and what you believe in.
The song is (I think) about the misguided love the terrorist feels for his country and that it leads to totally blindness - blindess for what you are fighting for, the act of violence becomes a purpose in it self. Blindness can also be interpreted as stupidity and I belive that U2 tries to say that terrorism, and this extreme form of nationalism, is really stupid.
Mike Nickelson (nickelsoncsus.edu) told me that if you listen towards the end of the song you can make out a subliminal ticking sound which is out of time with the rhythm. This, along with the feedback guitar fury and Bono's droning chant ending brings to mind an impending bomb attack.

i dont know how correct everything on that site is, but its some interesting reading

I've also read that LIB is about suicide. (Thread is ripping, the knot is slipping... Squeeze the handle, blow out the candle...) I thought it was about the IRA all along. Maybe it's about suicide bombers? :huh:

the greatest closer to any u2 show ever. i was fortunate to hear this live on many occasions and can honestly say that it was the greatest moment of live music i have ever witnessed. Every time.

chrissybaby said:
the greatest closer to any u2 show ever. i was fortunate to hear this live on many occasions and can honestly say that it was the greatest moment of live music i have ever witnessed. Every time.

:jealous:

the best was at the Birmingham NEC on June 1st 1992. Yeats' poem September 1913 was spoken at the end by Bono. I have a crappy recording of it, but it is by far my fave U2 moment ever, and i feel blessed to have witnessed it. What a song!!! Adams bass, and that Neil Young style guitar by Edge at the end.... Bono on stage with a girl, the planets being mapped/projected all around the arena... the look on everyones face as we left the building.....speechless. the greatest end to the greatest tour by the greatest band ever.

Back
Top Bottom