Looking Back at Speculation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lancemc said:
Depending on the new album of course, am I the only person who wants to see Streets open the shows again? After the shockingly disappointing Vertigo version of Streets, I'd like to see the band just move
Streets back to the beginning of the show. It's the perfect opener, and it was awe-inspiring during the Joshua Tree and Lovetown shows. I know a lot of fans would be disappointed about no segue for the song, but I'd still rather see the iconic Red background with the band entering as silhouettes, and the return of the original synth intro.:drool:

That's joygasmic, but I really want to see them end a show with Streets.

This is my perfect 2nd encore:

All I Want is You
Bad (these two done Lovetown-style, but Bad has like 5 snippets of amazing songs)
Running to Stand Still
Where the Streets Have No Name

and the janitor would have to mop my face up from off the floor.

LemonMacPhisto said:

That's joygasmic, but I really want to see them end a show with Streets.

This is my perfect 2nd encore:

All I Want is You
Bad (these two done Lovetown-style, but Bad has like 5 snippets of amazing songs)
Running to Stand Still
Where the Streets Have No Name

and the janitor would have to mop my face up from off the floor.

I'd love to see a show close out with

Bad/Rolling Stones snippets/some other songs/40

The lights stay down and the intro to Streets starts out very quietly.

Farking orgasmic.

Anyone remember pre-tour, when Bono was in Mexico, and there was that article which said that the band was working on Lemon? Anyone remember that? How would that have sounded? Hmmm... Bono couldnt sing the falsetto, so what would he do? Hold a tambourine like in ABOY! :wink:

beLIEve_ZOO121 said:
And also there was Mofo... played at a soundcheck if i'm right? That and the wanderer, also never made it into the setlist.

Yes, we know that Mofo was soundchecked on 18 November 2005 in Atlanta, and reports indicate it was soundchecked elsewhere (maybe 16 September 2005, Toronto?).

I don't think the band intended to put The Wanderer in the set, but just to play it on the Johnny Cash tribute. Nonetheless, I'm surprised they didn't play it as it wouldn't have been too hard to slot into the set somewhere. It would've been quite cool.

As far as the Mexico reports go, I think it was established that they were fabrications and not to be believed, but Lemon (and, apparently, Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car) were indeed both soundchecked at some point.

Mofo was soundchecked twice that I'm aware of. I dont think it was done in Toronto, although fans outside claimed they heard it. I think it was just the sequencer though with Edge hitting the riff. If that counts as being played, so be it, but I dont think the rest of the band worked on it then.

Lemon was never officially confirmed. Most of the Mexico rehearsal rumors were complete BS. A fan simply put their wish list of songs out there. A few turned out to be right, but if you remember they listed like 40 songs, they were bound to guess a few correctly. Although I think a fan here asked Hamish or was it Steve Lillywhite? in San Diego or another west coast show if U2 had worked on Lemon and he said yes. The only problem with this is Hamish and/or Steve were not at the Mexico rehearsals. :shrug: It was also reported that Bono's security guy John said they worked on Lemon on the third leg in Toronto and possibly Chicago. I dont believe this is correct though. Either the fan that got the information was mistaken about what he said or John was thinking of a different song and said it was Lemon.

Daddy's Gonna Pay was supposedly worked on, but it was a mess and the band quickly dropped it. Apparantly it was completely reworked and wasnt anything like what they did on Zooropa. But it just didnt work.

The band never intended to play The Wanderer at a show. They supposedly only worked on it one time prior to LA in soundcheck and only talked about shooting it in LA that one time previously.

Mikal, I'm sorry my posts bug you. I will try to use less :shrug: 's. But please, pick apart my posts as a result. Or do me a favor and block me. Thanks

Also, on the 3rd leg vertigo there was a fan who asked Bono about Zooropa, and he said that they'd been working on a song from that album. On the night, they added in a snippet of Daddys Gonna Pay.. and also played The First Time.
So who knows? Maybe they started working on it because of the fan's comments? Maybe we should do that more often, and then we might get songs we want... Ask Bono for Acrobat!!! :wink:

@ Blue Room, thanks for the interesting info! :bow: Where did you get the info?
In terms of reworking Daddy's Gonna Pay, i reckon that probably did happen, coz they also reworked Discotheque, they might've been in a reworking mood. If it turned out anything like Discotheque did, it would have been great! :rockon:

Back
Top Bottom