Live COBL: Adam plays keyboards?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

i_love_adam

War Child
Does Adam take on the keyboards at the start and end of City of Blinding Lights on the tour? Or do they use a backing track? I think it'd be really fake if they used a backing keyboard track. It's so prominent and... no one is doing it! On the other hand, some poeple can live their whole lives without hearing the bass :rolleyes:

Haven't see pics of that at all, y'see. Only of Larry on keyboard during Yahweh

Adam does play the piano at the very beginning and end of City of Blinding Lights. But the rest of the piano is either a backing track or played in the underground (Terry?).

Erhhh, during COBL on the Chicago DVD that was aired here yesterday, it doesn't seem like Adam is playing the piano at any moment.

U2Man said:
Erhhh, during COBL on the Chicago DVD that was aired here yesterday, it doesn't seem like Adam is playing the piano at any moment.
he does play it though, i seen him playing in manchester

KUEFC09U2 said:
he does play it though, i seen him playing in manchester

Ok, maybe it was the way it was clipped then. I'm pretty sure it seemed as if he was standing with his bass at the ellipse when the piano set in :shrug:

i believe i can solve this debate quite easily...

52023111_8a35617d3a.jpg

i took this at MSG on Columbus Day... Adam does indeed play the keyboard during city... he starts the song on it, switches to bass for the majority of the song, then finishes the song back on the keyboard.

i don't think he played the keyboard on the first leg of the tour.

adam did play the keyboard on the first leg, im pretty sure of it. not 100% sure, but im fairly certain.

I've seen photos of him playing it from the first leg.

I personally saw him play it on the Nov 1 concert a few days ago. I was right on the rail, center-right.

It looks like a keyboard, but like 1/4 the size. (they also showed him on the jumbo screen playing it)

he did play the keyboards on the first leg. I saw him in the 3 boston shows.

Who even KNOWS Coldplay's bassist? Chris Martin is such a limelight hogget that the public doesn't even know the rest of the band *shrug*

Yes, it is a queer looking keyboard. I believe Larry uses the same one for Yahweh?

You are talking to a person who has attended 0 U2 concerts

Lila64 said:
we were right in front of Adam at LA2. Looked like he played it to us :drool:

I hope I get to see Adam play the keyboard at my next show!:hyper:

This is a smaller keyboard that's only 2 octaves or so, because Adam and Larry play very simple keyboard parts, and they don't need a full piano/synthesizer.

The parts Larry and Adam play really don't require advance keyboard/piano playing knowledge, they're not chords, really one-finger stuff and they're not playing that many notes. Anyone with a sense of rhythm/timing (which a professional rhythm section should have :wink: ) and a bit of practice can do it.

Yeah yeah. Even a musical retard like me knows that (say if COBL was in C major) , dearest, cutest lovable Adam does
G F E D| F E D C| G F E D| F E D C

(each note is a minim/ half-note)

Pop Artist said:
The parts Larry and Adam play really don't require advance keyboard/piano playing knowledge, they're not chords, really one-finger stuff and they're not playing that many notes. Anyone with a sense of rhythm/timing (which a professional rhythm section should have :wink: ) and a bit of practice can do it.

i've always wondered if they had little stickers on the right keys so that they don't screw it up...

Adam does indeed play keys on COBL
Check or listen to the Anaheim 04-01-05 show.
That one has bass at the start of COBL and no keys.
I guess they were experimenting ( also with the setlist ) that night.
You can even hear Bono counting or saying something to the band when Edge`s slide has to come in.

Cheers ,

Mauwer

Headache in a Suitcase said:

i've always wondered if they had little stickers on the right keys so that they don't screw it up...

Actually I recall seeing a photo of Larry during "Yahweh", and there were stickers on it. (First leg though).

At LA3, they showed what Adam was playing on the jumbo screen, didn't see any stickers.

Makes sense, after a few practices they'd get it down.

Last edited:
they actually had stickers for the notes on the keyboard? :lmao:

im surprised they didnt have the keys that they needed to play light up

Chizip said:
they actually had stickers for the notes on the keyboard? :lmao:

im surprised they didnt have the keys that they needed to play light up

Hey! Don't knock light up keyboards. ;)

Larry stopped taking piano lessons when he was like 9 or 10. Adam, his first time playing a keyboard like that in front of the U2 audience.

It's one thing to go from bass to guitar, think Adam started off on guitar in the first place. Bass to keyboards, much different way of playing.

Now picture drums, to switching to piano/keyboards. Though Larry does have a bemused look on his face in most photos I've seen of him playing it.

Back
Top Bottom