Lemon & Ultra Violet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mauwer

War Child
Friends ,

Do ya all think that Lemon or Ultra Violet will show up????
It was rumored that they were rehearsed.

Anyway like the setlist`s from San Diego are great.
An Cat Dubh , Electric Co. and Gloria got played , SUPER!!!!

But they could throw in Ultra Violet or Lemon for songs like Elevation and Pride?

Cheers ,

Mauwer

Ultra Violet, I believe, was just a song Bono said he would like to play again. I'm not sure if anyone actually said they had heard it rehearsed, though of course, just because we don't have a report doesn't mean it hasn't been rehearsed extensively.

The rumours of Lemon may not have been reliable. I'm honestly still not sure what to think about them.

Lemon....humm.... I know it was rehearsed, but regarding that he can't sing falsetto any more (or sometimes only) I doubt Lemon is the right song to perform live.....:sad:

Yahweh_OMG said:
Lemon....humm.... I know it was rehearsed, but regarding that he can't sing falsetto any more (or sometimes only) I doubt Lemon is the right song to perform live.....:sad:

Unfortunately, I think that you're right...though it pains me to admit it...! Ha ha ha. I would KILL to hear a good version of "Lemon," but if he is incapable of singing it (or, for that matter, if the band doesn't feel polished enough to pull it off), then I'd rather they just leave it alone. Better not to bother than to embarass themselves, you know?

In a perfect world, though, I'd be in heaven if they played either of these songs...and a great many others, too...!!

As the set stands now, I have a hard time seeing where Lemon would fit in, musically or thematically.

I think Bono might have a hard time singing it, and I also don't see it really jacking up the crowd, nor furthering Bono's political aims.

Ultraviolet would seem to have a better chance, musically, but thematically it's a stretch. They seem dedicated to Zoo Station, the Fly and One, and I think if we see another Achtung song, it's going to be Until the End of the World. I'd love to see (and hear) Ultraviolet again, though.

Alright, bear with me for a second here. What if The Edge did the falsetto, and Bono took over on the "slowly slipping under" part? He can then sing the "man makes a picture", "midnight is where the day begins", and "these are the days..." parts. It's not like most of the song is falsetto, just the first verse, the second "she wore lemon" couplet, and the "you're gonna meet her there" part, which is only another 4 lines. That's 10 total falsetto lines.

I think it could be done this way, and would give Edge a neat little showcase for one song. That novelty would make it interesting for people who aren't fans of the song.

This would probably be in my Top 3 songs I'd like to hear live, so I'm hoping it shows up.

laz

"Lemon" wrecked his vocal chords......it was songs with falsettos like that which now force him to use that breathing apparatus around show times.....I don't think he wants to risk anymore damage, especially for a song that might not get much of a crowd reaction....

Poor Lemon... if true about Bono's vocal chords, don't bring it out then (though it'd be nice). And I'd kill to have Ultra Violet brought back into some set lists sometime soon.

ultraviolet is so much better than ancatdubh or into the heart. granted tomorrow or drowning man or fire would be peachy keen......

Lemon isnt happening. Take a good look at what Axver originally said on this thread. Thats your answer.

Honestly, I dont get why so many want it. Its OK, but there are so many better songs just on Zooropa alone over that one and Zooropa is one of my least favorite U2 albums!

Last edited:
BigMacPhisto said:
"Lemon" wrecked his vocal chords......it was songs with falsettos like that which now force him to use that breathing apparatus around show times.....I don't think he wants to risk anymore damage, especially for a song that might not get much of a crowd reaction....

Breathing apparatus? I haven't heard he had that...

What exactly is it that he has? If you don't mind me asking... Were there pictures of it or something that circulated?

Last edited:
Lemon is such a great song. I love it's trippyness with oblique lyrics and trancey chill out sounds. Playing this tour would be cool as it's so different to the rest of the set. It'd throw it for a bit, before getting back to geeetars.

Thank heavens Lemon is gone.

Ultraviolet - only worth it if you haven't seen it (like many songs). I doubt if it would be a standout performance.

I also tend to doubt any rumors about them being rehearsed.

BigMacPhisto said:

personally i would attribute his vocal chord damage to the heavy smoking that he does, cause that really fucks ur voice.......

and id love to see ultra violet played again, one of my fav zoo tv songs ever! would go well straight before or after the fly or around one.......... or even be4 wowy when they play it :drool: :drool: :drool:

sv said:
Thank heavens Lemon is gone.

Ultraviolet - only worth it if you haven't seen it (like many songs). I doubt if it would be a standout performance.

I also tend to doubt any rumors about them being rehearsed.

I agree with you about Lemon, I dont get why people are clammoring for it. They "barely" played it live on the Zoomerang tour (too many backing sequencers and keyboards). It also doesnt fit at all with the themeing or feel of this tour. Some fans are claiming that Willie and Steve Lillywhite confirmed that they did rehearse it though. My "guess" however is that it was VERY early in the rehearsal (as in 2004) process and probebly wasnt done much or ever given any serious consideration.

I disagree on Ultraviolet. A retooling with Edge giving the guitar a harder sound or feel could be outstanding and I think would fit the tour. You are correct though, it has not been rehearsed. Not sure if that was part of the Mexico rumors but I believe its complete BS.

Last edited:
Lemon has to be one of the worst u2 songs I have ever heard, I still cringe when I remember first hearing it I was really disappopinted with the direction this song and most of zooropa took, give me songs from their 80s albums anyday to this or most of the zooropa/pop tracks.

If you shout... said:

Unfortunately, I think that you're right...though it pains me to admit it...! Ha ha ha. I would KILL to hear a good version of "Lemon," but if he is incapable of singing it (or, for that matter, if the band doesn't feel polished enough to pull it off), then I'd rather they just leave it alone. Better not to bother than to embarass themselves, you know?

In a perfect world, though, I'd be in heaven if they played either of these songs...and a great many others, too...!!

I sadly agree. :( I like Lemon--the sound, the bassline, etc., but I doubt Bono can pull it off though.

I would love to see a complete reworking of Lemon. Get rid of all the backing tracks and keyboards and make it a guitar driven song. Maybe play in a different key. They could totally make it awesome. They have completely changed song in the past, why not this song now?

There was plenty of guitar in Lemon. Those chiming chords you hear throughout the verse is Edge's guitar with a shitload of phasing/delay/vibrato, maybe some pitchshift as well, to make it sound like a keyboard. Going by what they say that creating a sound first forms the basis of a new song I'd say that Edge's guitar was pivotal increating Lemon.

A falsetto doesn't ruin your voice...it is actually very easy on your voice and vocal chords.

The likely reason that Bono doesn't attempt the song any longer is that it's been the excessive drinking and smoking that have damaged his ability to confidently go for the high notes found in songs like Lemon. Unfortunately, it's probably his own fault.

Sad because the falsetto is what turned me on to U2. The AB days and all of the falsetto found on those songs is what truly got me hooked. And now I'll probably never get to enjoy it again.

Exactly - the falsetto does not ruin one's vocal chords. It may, however, be difficult to sing falseetto once one's vocal chords have already sustained damage (drinking, smoking, poor technique). This is clearly the case with Bono.

starvinmarvin said:
Exactly - the falsetto does not ruin one's vocal chords. It may, however, be difficult to sing falseetto once one's vocal chords have already sustained damage (drinking, smoking, poor technique). This is clearly the case with Bono.

I don't think Bono has poor technique, but aside from the drinking and smoking I'd say the biggest contributor to his vocal damage would definitely have to be screaming songs like "Bad," "Pride," or "Sunday Bloody Sunday." It's much harder on the vocal chords to sing songs like that than it is to sing a falsetto.

ImOuttaControl said:

I don't think Bono has poor technique, but aside from the drinking and smoking I'd say the biggest contributor to his vocal damage would definitely have to be screaming songs like "Bad," "Pride," or "Sunday Bloody Sunday." It's much harder on the vocal chords to sing songs like that than it is to sing a falsetto.

That's what I mean by bad technique - the screaming. It sounds really cool, but is undoubtedly hard on the voice

Back
Top Bottom