Kill the CAT DUBH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jelloe

The Fly
Too many other great nostalgic songs for them to choose...

Phoenix 4/14 would rather hear: I Will Follow, Unforgettable Fire or Ultraviolet.

The rest of the setlist is great! Can't wait!!

I like An Cat Dubh/Into the Heart and I don't want to see them kill it, but I would like to see them rotate some other oldies in. The Unforgettable Fire would be amazing....

:rolleyes:

An Cat Dubh/Into The Heart has been one of the best parts of the tour. Awesome song and I'm so glad - and incredibly surprised - that it's back.

What I think is pathetic is that U2 fans whine about wanting older songs back, and now that U2 have actually brought back a great rarity, they're whining that they don't want it.

F#*k you...can I say that on this site???
Complaining about An Cat Dubh/Into The Heart!!!
You've got to be kidding???
And then saying they should replace it with the overplayed-to-death I Will Follow - shame on you!!!
Now The Unforgettable Fire...that's a different story alltogether - we can only hope.

haha, i don't think that they should play i will follow, but that combo is a real dull one live..... the electric co however has come across great....

In San Diego, An Cat Dubh/Into the Heart was absolutely magnificently played. I say that not just because they DID play it, but because it truly sounded wonderful and moved the crowd. I hope they play it regularly.

Of course, I Threw A Brick/A Day Without Me would also be nice . .

I don't understand how anyone would want to replace ACD/ITH for I Will Follow, a great song but one that has been played constantly since 1980 and has been a fixed part of the set list in most of U2's tours.

I think they should play An Cat Dubh/Into The Heart until the end of this tour and hopefully we'll get it in a dvd. Those songs give the show a more deep and powerfull feeling both because of the rarity quality and the power contained in the songwritting style the band had in the beginning. Most defenitly one of the best moments on the Vertigo Tour! Leave it where it is! :up:

Last edited:
Leave it! Other than the Cry/Electric co. thing, that's what I'm looking forward to the most. I used to sit in my car as a teenager with those songs cranked at top volume. I can't wait till I see them on the 20th! It won't be safe to be near me.

I find it somewhat amusing that people are complaining about the setlists for this tour. During the last two tours the setlists didn't change over the course of each tour as much as this one has over four shows. It won't ever be "perfect" but at least they're changing it up.

The "cat" should be kept...one of the best things in the set list so far.... enough discussion

"It's good to shut up sometimes." - Marcel Marceau

Axver said:
:rolleyes:

What I think is pathetic is that U2 fans whine about wanting older songs back, and now that U2 have actually brought back a great rarity, they're whining that they don't want it.

As an 'older' fan I find it jarring to hear UltraViolet referred to as an oldie. The younger fans have to understand that the same burning need inside of them for nostalgia is shared by the 'older' fans; we both grew up on the staples, the staples are just different. Surely there is room for both, despite what seems to be a rift, over-generalized and dramatic, between the 'older' fans and the 'younger' fans. The key phrase here is over-generalized. Because really - each to her/his own right? The most depressing thing of all is that the conflict is all based on a kind of base neediness. For instance, I would kill to see them open with Electrical Storm, but I try not to let that excitment become the focus of the experience (imminent - Van.). I feel fortunate for even being able to be there, especially in light of all those who couldn't get tickets. I say "Bring 'em on!" in whatever form they come. I'll be there to meet the experience. Goodnight.

jelloe said:
Okay, the hate campaign against "An Cat Dubh" needs to stop.

If they drop it, you know what they're going to replace it with? Not "Ultra Violet" or "Acrobat" or "Alex Descends Into Hell For A Bottle of Milk" or whatever stupidly rare song you want to hear. Get real.

No, they'd replace it with "With or Without You" or "Until the End of the World" or something else we've all heard about a billion times already. Enough fanboy wet dream threads.

And you know what, "An Cat Dubh" is a good song. Not "good compared to their other early stuff" or "good considering it's one of their first songs," I mean it's a good song in its own right.

They played it tonight at Staples Center, and IMO (even though I love these songs), they need to take it out of the setlist--it sounds great to a die-hard U2 fan but it takes the initial momentum of the show and grinds it to a screeching halt--there was a parade of people walking up the aisle for beer/bathroom breaks druing these songs--the arena was absolutely dead when they played ACH/ITH.

ultraviolet353 said:
They played it tonight at Staples Center, and IMO (even though I love these songs), they need to take it out of the setlist--it sounds great to a die-hard U2 fan but it takes the initial momentum of the show and grinds it to a screeching halt--there was a parade of people walking up the aisle for beer/bathroom breaks druing these songs--the arena was absolutely dead when they played ACH/ITH.

Like I said before, that is their problem, not U2's. The die-hards will love it.

Its a great song, and they should bring a few more oldies to the setlist. So far this tour have been so amazing IMO because we get the chance to hear these old classics.

But of course i have not been in the crowd so far, so i dont know how the reaction is. Atleast the bootleg versions sound fantastic

I could care less what the other 20,000 people are doing when An Cat Dubh comes on. All I know is that I've heard this song so many times by the grace of boots, and I might finally get a chance to hear it live!! Go take a piss, go get a beer, while I'm singing right along imagining what it must have been like back in 1981. I cant wait!! That goes for Electric Co. too!! :drool:

I thought this duo was a bit slow in that particular setlist.

Loved Electric co.

I love the fact u2 are playing a good mixed setlist it shows that they care about all their fans, the hardcore particulary enjoying older songs like an cat dubh/into the heart,I would love to hear them play i threw a brick through a window and the unforgettable fire

Re: Re: Kill the CAT DUBH

typhoon said:

No, they'd replace it with "With or Without You" or "Until the End of the World" or something else we've all heard about a billion times already. Enough fanboy wet dream threads.

Thats right this a place of serious business and discussion such as personal playlists, personal album orders, personal u2 histories, personal single release schedule. This is not a place for what ifs and wishes. Jeez I wish people would get over being diehard fans and just suck it up and take what the band gives you.:wink:

That being said I like An Cat Dubh, I don't love it, its never been one of my favorites but I'm glad to see it back. Here's my fanboy wet dream though, I would love to hear 11 O'Clock or A Celebration somewhere else in the setlist.

Last edited:
Harry Vest said:
F#*k you...can I say that on this site???
Complaining about An Cat Dubh/Into The Heart!!!
You've got to be kidding???
And then saying they should replace it with the overplayed-to-death I Will Follow - shame on you!!!
Now The Unforgettable Fire...that's a different story alltogether - we can only hope.

U R so eloquent!

An Cat Dubh/Into the Heart was a bad song then...it ain't getting better now. I'd rather hear 'The Ocean' 4 times in a row followed by "Treasure(Whatever happened to Pete the Chop)" backwards on a banjo before I hear An Cat Dubh again.

jelloe said:

Phoenix 4/14 would rather hear: I Will Follow, Unforgettable Fire or Ultraviolet.

The rest of the setlist is great! Can't wait!!

An Cat Dubh/Into the Heart is as much of a guitar classic as any Hendrix tune. 100% Edge, 100% original. Sounds and tones that were previously unheard of. Edge's guitar work has never been better than the Boy album. I've been trying to figure out how to play some of those tunes since I was 16- 20 years ago.

And of course I go to one of the the only shows where they don't play it.

P.S. I will follow gets slower and slower every time they play it. Sounds like sh**, especially after the 20 time.

ultraviolet353 said:

absolutely insane. maybe those are the people who are buying HTDAAB as a first CD...these two songs were highlights in the show for me, and certainly for many of the people around me on the floor.

PowerSurge, you said it all. :)

I love the song, but I agree it is a momentum killer that early in the set. If it were saved for later in the show, I think it would work better. If they're gonna pull out rarities, I think Gloria would be a better one to play on a regular basis-- a lot easier for the crowd to get into because it has that upbeat, more rock and roll quality to it as compared to the moody sound of An Cat Dubh.

Ya know what? An Cat Dubh needs to stay, if it isn't played at the show I go to I'm gonna be pissed...and if a bunch of n00bs who never heard U2 before "One" came out don't like it that's just too bad.

And if it doesn't rock enough for ya, how about "I Threw A Brick/A Day Without Me" instead?

Back
Top Bottom