I've been waiting 16 years for 40.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theu2fly

Refugee
And finally I shall hear the greatest closing song that U2 has ever made.

I've been waiting for 40 to make it's return for so long. I can't wait to sing 40... :sad:

15 years, 2 months, and 18 days since it was played on 10 January 1990 in Rotterdam. 15 years, 2 months, and 18 days too long.

I can't wait to sing this song with Bono and thousands of other fans in May.

Long live 40, the best closer ever played!

Yeah, it definitely is the band's best closer after "Walk On", Axver. I totally agree.

I've been waiting since the day I've heard that song to sing it in a concert with them...please keep playing it until december!

And on a side note, does anyone think it has a significance? Such as maybe this is their last tour and they want to bookend it with their best closing song....just a thought.

Johnny Swallow said:
And on a side note, does anyone think it has a significance? Such as maybe this is their last tour and they want to bookend it with their best closing song....just a thought.

Don't think so. I think they're returning to the classic closer because it's just so legendary and good. Furthermore, none of the new songs really lend themselves to being closers - except perhaps Yahweh, until you hear how it is being performed.

As the band seem pretty hyped about recording another album, this definitely won't be the last tour.

I could write an essay on how I am feeling toward 40 being the closer for this tour....but ill just say im happy with it :wink:

There's really no reason not to play "40" anymore. It was the definitive U2 closer as soon as they wrote it.

They stopped playing it for ZooTV simply because they were casting away their past (they led off every show with five consecutive new songs) and probably left it out of PopMart because it didn't fit in (although, of course, it was the last song played at PopMart). By Elevation, they were probably just used to leaving it off (although they used the refrain to segue "Bad" and "Streets" at many shows). The question isn't "why did they bring it back?" so much as "why didn't they bring it back sooner?"

Last edited:
While we're on the subject, does Bono say "the little Lord Jesus" or "then the Lord Jesus"... the latter makes more sense to me as he's introducing/thanking people in the band and the song is a prayer. But someone said he says little Lord Jesus which makes no sense to me.

40 was awesome. Great closing song. I liked walk on but 40 brings me back to days past.

I think Bono said "little lord Jesus"

Kind of goes with the "did you come here to play Jesus ... I did" he routinely twists from One.

Any guesses on odds for a significantly different set in show 2?

Back
Top Bottom