"It has to be a different set"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chizip

Blue Crack Addict
This is a Bono quote on Dutch TV after a Chicago show

They are talking about going to Europe...

"It has to be a different set. I'm a little nervous because it has taken us a while to get this one right. So I'm hoping we'll be ready by opening night with something new, something fresh."

hmmm, what happened to that?

If I got dissapointed everytime Bono mischaracterised something in an upcoming tour/album/single I would probably slit my wrist.

I don't believe a word he says about anything, which is sad.

it's not bitching, its just interesting that both Adam and Bono had said they were going to change things up a bit for the European Leg, but that really hasn't happened.

The set opens with a different song, which by their standards probably equates to a different set.

They could try opening with ABOY and closing the show with Vertigo. That would give another feel to the set

ABOY
Twilight
Gloria
Into The heart/Electric Co.
Beautiful Day

it will become more varied, I've no doubt: I expect they'll start to design a new light show for songs such as Bad and Original Of The Species and maybe some other new ones. All those introduced as new so far (OK, from my experience of 3) have been played early in the set so as to only need a basic light show, meaning the end of the sets have all been very similar, or ust been a mix of the same few songs, as the light-screen is being used full time by then. What was the light show like for Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses?

They need more light show anyway.
Just check this table of local sunset times:

Brussels, June 10th: 21:51
London, June 19th: 21:17
Dublin, June 24th: 21:53
Vienna, July 2nd: 20:56
Amsterdam, July 13th: 21:56
Rome, July 23rd: 20:37
Oslo, July 27th: 21:58
Munich, August 3rd: 20:47
Barcelona, August 7th: 21:01
Lisbon August 14th: 20:32

This means that for instance the shows in Munich and Lisbon will start in the (semi) dark

I'm not even sure they got the 1st leg setlist right. They pull it off live because of the old U2 magic but if Bono thinks they have perfected the 1st leg setlist he really is along a river in Egypt. IMHO Zoo TV was a good setlist, post 1st leg Popmart was a good setlist, late 1st leg/2nd leg Elevation was a good setlist. Vertigo is a mediocre setlist and the only saving graces, the old Boy songs, they didn't even play them in Europa so far.

RA-D said:
What was the light show like for Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses?

No light show. Just simple individual video screens for the band members.

Shameless repeated self-plug, but a Wild Horses video will be uploaded on Wednesday/Thursday... depending on how up to it I feel when I land back in the states. :wink:

yes, as i've become a larger u2 fan over the last few years I've started taking Bono's quotes less and less seriously (except the ones about Africa, of course).

@Muad'zin
"Zoo TV was a good setlist, post 1st leg Popmart was a good setlist, late 1st leg/2nd leg Elevation was a good setlist. Vertigo is a mediocre setlist and the only saving graces, the old Boy songs, they didn't even play them in Europa so far..."

Sorry, but your judgement is nonsense:
ZOO TV and ZOOROPA here in Europe had a unique spectacle - often a political cabaret and theatre as part of a rock show - but regarding the setlists, they were apart from a few surprises and slight changes very steady: though with classic tunes and a very strong tour album (ACHTUNG BABY).
POPMART had a strong touring album, too - and one the most boring and steady setlists in U2's history. Yes, there were some beautiful shows, but hearing the same songs with the same "jokes" (Karaoke!) night after night is for a die-hard fan as me not, what I want. The band and its music were drowned in technique and not finished stage concepts. Plus many of the new versions of old tracks didn't convince as the abbreviated "I Will Follow", the short-cut "Pride", the "funky" "Bullet The Blue Sky" or the slower "Mysterious Ways" making a terrible and banal encore with One (plus short snippet) at the end...
ELEVATION here in Europe was not good, it was great - and the learning out of POPMART's mistakes: different track lists for following nights and the desire to redust old classics not having been performed for ages. Plus: the band sees the fans again and does fullfill even requests, if they want to.
VERTIGO so far is developing this feeling even further: The setlists are designed to get the masterful new album a big point in the set plus a bunch of "Greatest Hits" played as exciting as not in decades. And you'll find tunes, that are "old", but were no singles as a challenge for the band and the real fans. So stop bitching the setlists: Every night U2 do play a different setlist with changing running orders, playing "new" songs or inserting snippets, that vary. This is really beautiful and kind of radical for U2, too - because so much joy in "playing" you might find back in '89/'90, when you go back in their history. Enjoy!

RademR said:
yes, as i've become a larger u2 fan over the last few years I've started taking Bono's quotes less and less seriously (except the ones about Africa, of course).

I wish he would have said"we are gonna play the same songs each and every night" at the beginning of the tour. Then at least we would have a varied set.:wink:

Chizip said:
This is a Bono quote on Dutch TV after a Chicago show

They are talking about going to Europe...

"It has to be a different set. I'm a little nervous because it has taken us a while to get this one right. So I'm hoping we'll be ready by opening night with something new, something fresh."

hmmm, what happened to that?

:yes: The thruth is - everything we've had on the European leg so far - except Wild Horses - has been so incessantly predictable and boring that it is almost funny. The Brussel setlist was kind of a worst case scenario. They couldn't have come up with a more boring and expected setlist than that - and it continued in the next concerts. Pop and Zooropa songs? :madspit: We didn't get them!

Re: Re: "It has to be a different set"

U2Man said:

:yes: The thruth is - everything we've had on the European leg so far - except Wild Horses - has been so incessantly predictable and boring that it is almost funny. The Brussel setlist was kind of a worst case scenario. They couldn't have come up with a more boring and expected setlist than that - and it continued in the next concerts. Pop and Zooropa songs? :madspit: We didn't get them!

lol, someone posted the sentence "Brussels was the best setlist ever" and was serious about it..I love it...

Setlists in Europe up till now are a joke..sorry to say it folks. went to see them in the US in Chicago and if you compare the set I saw there with what you get lately..it's a travesty...How can anybody in their ringht mind (and I say this with all due respect) sya that the setlist are great in europe.

the last 6 concerts you lost:
gloria, uteotw, an cat dubh/into the heart, the ocean, Bad, 40..

we gained:
still haven't found, all I want, I will follow, Vertigo twice(standard)

Going to three Amsterdam shows so they HAVE to mix it up there since they LOVE Holland and such. but what if you were in Brussels..
:huh:

they are not going to change the set very much for the rest of the tour.
if anyone thinks they are I'd like to sell you a bridge.

hmmm....i think we'll see some new songs coming into play on the third leg in the States. As for the European leg, not many changes.

Re: Re: Re: "It has to be a different set"

zwervers2 said:
Going to three Amsterdam shows so they HAVE to mix it up there since they LOVE Holland and such. but what if you were in Brussels..
:huh:

I don't think they'll mix the setlist much... it's the best place and time for filming the European Vertigo DVD... days will be shorter, roof can be closed, 3 shows= lots of room for editing... etc...
so they'll probably play the same songs at (at least) 2 out of 3 shows...IMO

ZOOTVTOURist said:
Sorry, but your judgement is nonsense:
ZOO TV and ZOOROPA here in Europe had a unique spectacle - often a political cabaret and theatre as part of a rock show - but regarding the setlists, they were apart from a few surprises and slight changes very steady: though with classic tunes and a very strong tour album (ACHTUNG BABY).

It depends on what you mean. Yes Zoo TV/Zooropa was static, but so were almost all U2 setlist past, present and future. You cannot therefore condemn it because its static. Thats like accusing the pope of being catholic. Static setlists area given with U2. Therefore the question becomes, is it a good static setlist. And it was a good solid setlist that dared take risk by focusing on new songs for the first half and hardly needed any tweaking. The only major change was to accomodate Zooropa songs for the Zoomerang tour.

POPMART had a strong touring album, too - and one the most boring and steady setlists in U2's history. Yes, there were some beautiful shows, but hearing the same songs with the same "jokes" (Karaoke!) night after night is for a die-hard fan as me not, what I want. The band and its music were drowned in technique and not finished stage concepts. Plus many of the new versions of old tracks didn't convince as the abbreviated "I Will Follow", the short-cut "Pride", the "funky" "Bullet The Blue Sky" or the slower "Mysterious Ways" making a terrible and banal encore with One (plus short snippet) at the end...

Just like Zoo TV the electronic overkill demands a static setlist. Any time a band delivers a show strong on gimmicks, lightshows and theatricals you can be sure of a setlist written in stone. And if you don't like hearing the same songs night after night then (don't take this the wrong way) maybe you are not such a die hard fan as you think you are. Because then you would know this is ALWAYS what you are going to get with U2 shows. And you can accept it. Sure Popmart started of terribly, but by the time it hit Europe they had ironed out the kinks and made it rock solid. Watch the Mexico City Popmart video and it flows from start to finish.

ELEVATION here in Europe was not good, it was great - and the learning out of POPMART's mistakes: different track lists for following nights and the desire to redust old classics not having been performed for ages. Plus: the band sees the fans again and does fullfill even requests, if they want to.
VERTIGO so far is developing this feeling even further: The setlists are designed to get the masterful new album a big point in the set plus a bunch of "Greatest Hits" played as exciting as not in decades. And you'll find tunes, that are "old", but were no singles as a challenge for the band and the real fans. So stop bitching the setlists: Every night U2 do play a different setlist with changing running orders, playing "new" songs or inserting snippets, that vary. This is really beautiful and kind of radical for U2, too - because so much joy in "playing" you might find back in '89/'90, when you go back in their history. Enjoy! [/B]

This is where we disagree because I don't think the Vertigo setlist is A. that good and B. the new album isn't that great either. All the strong tracks are in the first half and surprise, surprise, those are the ones that they are consistently playing live. To many of the greatest hits classics sound very tired to me, interpretations of interpretations of interpretations that go back to Zoo TV, therefore not exciting and the amount of bitching the 2nd Vertigo generates is astounding. Personally I don't mind it that much although I can understand the desire of some that with their kind of catalog to hear something else instead. The setlist just doesn't flow that much for me. The one thing I did like was them doing An cat dubh/Into the heart and Gloria/The Ocean. Playing old stuff not done in aeons is always good. And now they stopped doing that in Europe. So that's why I'm not impressed.

Muad'zin,

That is a good thought out post. I agree with most of it. Difference being in regards to the Vertigo tour. Although I do agree to a certain degree with you about it also. From what you said about Vertigo it seems alot of your problem with it is you dont like the new album. Since there are alot of new songs being done it would stand to reason that you are already pre disposed to not like the setlist. :shrug:

Here is my take. I think the Vertigo pattern they settled into for the most part in N. America on the first leg was decent, not fantastic. So I'm not gloom and doom about the Vertigo tour but I do agree the static list could be improved (when I say static, I mean the basic structure of the setlist). I think the static setlist developing for Europe is also decent, but not fantastic. I'm one that doesnt mind the static setlist either, but I think they need to get a slightly better one going. I actually think the best setlist pattern so far was Chicago 4. Unfortunately nothing similiar has been done since. So I guess the band doesnt agree with me! :laugh:

Some of the songs that people complain about are not going anywhere (IE Pride, Streets, Bullet etc.). But I think they need to tweak the order of some songs and continue to interchange one or two songs in and out like they have been. Those of you demanding huge variations from U2 havent been paying attention to the past 20 years of their touring. They are doing some slight variations here and there which from U2 standards is a huge deal. But to expect WAY more is just not realistic. Then to complain about it like you are shocked and appalled that they are not reaches the ridiculous level.

Some fans expectations are just out of the stratosphere. Just look at this very forum. There is a thread indicating they think Indian Summer Sky is a possibility tonight because its the longest day of the year!!!! That song will never be played again other than maybe a snippet, and I think even that is unlikely. I think we should just try to enjoy the tour though and hope U2 continues to try to tweak the setlist. Which I think they will be doing.

Going into the tour, I think perhaps U2 saw the rust on some of the "classics," like SBS, NYD, Pride, WOWY, Bullet, One, Streets even.

I don't believe they wanted to do these songs just for the sake of doing them; they wanted this show to have an artistic statement. But they found a way to both play most of the "hits" and still fit their theme; hence the new "heart of darkness/war is hell" segment, and the "Africa" segment.

I think they were so pleased to find what they considered an artistically satisfying way to play those songs, that they never thought of changing it. They could have their cake (artistic statement) and eat it, too (greatest hits to stoke the crowd).

It's true: Love & Peace>SBS>Bullet>Running does make a statement, as does the Pride>Streets>One affair. But for me anyway, it's awfully hard to really become immersed in the message, because the song arrangements are not wildly different, and thus having heard them SO MANY times (not just seeing them in concert), the brain goes on auto-pilot.

As a contrasting example, Bullet>Running on ZooTV made a fresh artistic impact thanks in large part to the drastically different arrangements. It forced you to listen closely and re-evaluate the songs in a new context. But today, SBS sounds exactly the same as in '83, '84-'85, most of '87, and '01. Bullet comes from the basic '92 arrangement, and its purposefully exhausted, world-weary tone is lost on most people. Running is just a very dry arrangement. One is essentially the same as ever, as is Streets.

My "complaint" continues to be that U2 could use some of the capital amassed by being so popular to dare a bit more; to make their artistic statements with some fresh songs from the back catalog (they've done this with Electric Co. and An Cat Dubh, bless 'em, but there are a lot more) or to come up with more bold arrangements of the "classics."

I think Vertigo is a good show; it's just not what we'd all hope when we know our band only comes around every five years, and the tours are now numbered.

They need to re-arrange the Pride-Streets-One part. It really doesn't flow. Pride doesn't get a proper ending, and it barely fades into Streets anyway, certainly not like RTSS and Please did. Streets-Pride has always worked, and the intro to Streets could fade in as the Human Rights part fades out, if they really don't want other songs to interfere with this particular trilogy.

I also think that they could use LAPOE and COBL as encore openers. Both would be in the dark, as they should be. The final encore could be:

COBL
Boy song?
Yahweh
"40"

I can only accept Vertigo as closer if it doesn't open, or if it is then followed by "40" as a real encore.

MTEdge said:

No light show. Just simple individual video screens for the band members.

Shameless repeated self-plug, but a Wild Horses video will be uploaded on Wednesday/Thursday... depending on how up to it I feel when I land back in the states. :wink:

2 points:

1) This is my point, the other songs don't have a specific light show yet either, All I Want Is You, I Will Follow and ISHFWILF didn't have a proper light show either. This means that the later setlists are still very limited by what they have light shows for. They obviously have made a good light show for the second Vertigo, but not 40 - I believe that when Larry is given the 'choice' between 'folk-tune' or 'punk-rock', he isn't really choosing as there is a whole light show programmed for Vertigo. There simply isn't a program for 40, Bad, UTEOTW or Acrobat :)wink:), which means that if any of them are to be played, they have to be played earlier in the set. Hopefully, for those of you seeing the tour later in Europe, they will have a show to be used in conjunction with those songs, but as it is, the only chance for any new songs is earl;y in the set, before the sun goes down. Which reminds me, for Vertigo#2, Bono should be singing 'Sun goes down, it's dark'.

2) This is only a show made to be seen once. In Britain, although not every country, there was a ticket restriction limiting you to tickets to only 1 show. Obviously, some of us flouted this by using eBay and trading amongst us, but that's not the band's fault now, is it?

That's all for now.

U2girl said:
6 shows into the leg, is this a new record?

No its not, there were people complaining about the rehearsal selection in Vancouver before the tour even started. I dont see this thread has so much a bitching one. Most posts have actually made good points and are just stating an opinion. Which alot of the setlist threads have not lately. There is nothing wrong with being critical of something the band does if you have thought out logical points you are making. I think there have been some good points on this thread.

somebody talked to Paul Mac at one of the shows...

"I asked him if the shows would be drastically different in Europe , and he said they would - however he then said the basic setlists would remain consistent with the US tour."

http://u2tours.com/displayfan.src?ID=20050514&XID=5698&Return=

so now we have Adam, Bono, and Paul all saying that the Eurigo leg would be different. Now the question is, did they change their mind at the last minute because they didnt feel comfortable enough to change things up, or do they think what they are doing now is a big change?

sigh

here we go again- for stadium shows it is almost inevitable that the band will stuck with the more well known songs- out of 70,000 people many could be casual fans or new fans or whatever, playing even more well known older songs is going to make it hard to sustain the momentum of the show. Playing alot of Boy tracks is a bit of a non-starter really. On Sunday a number of people around me didn't recognise Zoo Station or The Fly- the latter was a No1 here in the UK- what reaction will Cry or An Cat Dubh get?

if you're playing smaller shows, given the problems of getting tickets there is greater chance that more "hard core" fans will be there- the band has more scope to vary the set list. ANyway U2 tour once every 4 years, lets complain less about the set lists and just enjoy the fact that they are touring again- not that long ago it looked like it wouldn't happen at all

Actually this isn't just a U2 thing- other bands with a strong back catalogue have the same issue. Only REM seem to have the knack of massively changing set lists from show to show

U2 seems to always play it safe with setlists. I don't see it changing around much more than it already has, which is a bit lame considering their massive back catalouge

Blue Room said:
But to expect WAY more is just not realistic. Then to complain about it like you are shocked and appalled that they are not reaches the ridiculous level.

Some fans expectations are just out of the stratosphere. Just look at this very forum. There is a thread indicating they think Indian Summer Sky is a possibility tonight because its the longest day of the year!!!! That song will never be played again other than maybe a snippet, and I think even that is unlikely. I think we should just try to enjoy the tour though and hope U2 continues to try to tweak the setlist. Which I think they will be doing.

i stay out of these nonsensical debates but thank jesus for this voice of reason!!!

@Muad'zin
Thanks to your reply, which made your statement much clearer to me. So the main "problem" really seems for me, you don't like the current tour album that much - its songs bulding the frame of the gig. That way you prefer ACHTUNG BABY and POP - with me still thinking, that the 1997's shows were too solid for (though I like POP very much, too) and the "Mexico City" show being played half a year after Europe (!) is not to compare with our gigs at all - regarding setlist and songs' quality. this regards the whole 4th leg, by the way, which was great.
On the other hand, you hit the problem "Which songs adapt a mass audience in stadiums?", that U2 have answered so far with cutting out the more "obscure songs from our past" (Bono 2001), that have been performed relatively often in the US - and were highlights of the shows (An Cat Dubh, Into The Heart, The Ocean, the more regular Stories For Boys snippet, even the rocking Gloria, '40', even the anthem Bad - and also the still beautiful Original Of the Species). Maybe they think them more "indoors-suiting". On the other hand, more "Greatest Hits" and sing-alongs came in - and that's what the average concert attendant will aprreciate without thinking much about it. This goes also for the (have to be played) classics in the category like New Year's Day, Sunday Bloody Sunday, Pride, Where The Streets Have No Name Or One. Ideas to throw these tunes (maybe often heard, but they ARE very strong, too!) out are absurd and don't hit the logic of U2's built up, reltively static setlists for the time they've been performing.
For us here devoting so much time it's different - but also individually from each other: Everybody has his (her) dream-tunes, you'd like to request, when you could. And to satisfy those and of course themselves, U2 gives us a lot for our money (The Cry, The Electric Co., the other non-singles Bullet The Blue Sky, the beautiful piano-driven Running To Stand Still, a complete ZOO TV-flash including Zoo Station - and a set list always in progress from town to town with slight changes of songs/snippets ....) - plus the new tracks, that do appreciate very much.

@Blue Room
Good view. Now, some wishes might be "out of the stratosphere" - but let those guys dream a bit. And: Who would have thought, that U2 would play eight (!) songs from BOY (including the snippets), five from the OCTOBER/WAR period and the massive bunch of six tracks from ACHTUNG BABY - so far?

Back
Top Bottom