Is it true Original of the species was played last night?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2girl

Blue Crack Addict
:up:
:hyper:

If anyone attended, how did it sound like? Just piano, like the Apple conference, or more full band like Brooklyn?

i was there and was very excited when they started it. it was time for an encore and larry and adam were already offstage and edge was about to leave, but then bono went to edge and asked him if he wanted to play "Original" then they got Larry and Adam. Edge went over to the piano and Bono said "we're gonna try something we've never played as a band live before, except in the studio". Edge started playing it and Bono sang, after the first verse or 2 Larry and Adam came in strong and the song was great! so yes, it is true that "original of the species" was performed on April 10th. now we wait for the audio........

nuke126 said:
i was there and was very excited when they started it. it was time for an encore and larry and adam were already offstage and edge was about to leave, but then bono went to edge and asked him if he wanted to play "Original" then they got Larry and Adam. Edge went over to the piano and Bono said "we're gonna try something we've never played as a band live before, except in the studio". Edge started playing it and Bono sang, after the first verse or 2 Larry and Adam came in strong and the song was great! so yes, it is true that "original of the species" was performed on April 10th. now we wait for the audio........

:drool:

The description sounds like it was played the same way it was played at the Brooklyn Bridge concert. Is this true?

Axver said:

Bono always gets these things wrong. He has such a great memory. :wink:

I think that he does it on purpose to make the crowd think that they are in for a world premiere... when, in reality, it is not.

:|

Edge on piano DOES NOT equal "full band".

OOTS without the electric guitar is CRAP. I thought that was apparent by now.

I would say the same thing about Yahweh but somehow they manage to pull it off. OOTS, however, should be a showstopper, and you can't do that this way.

I'm really sick and tired of the band totally overproducing in the studio and then feeling the need to deconstruct to such a level onstage. It's not rocket science, and I don't see why Bono can't learn this simple piano part, or why Edge can't pull a New Year's Day.

I hope this garbage doesn't appear at the other two shows I'm attending.

laz

No it wasn't played like it was on Brooklyn (I was at that show and the San Jose shows)...both were full band, in Brooklyn they attempted the full instrumentation, with Bono on guitar, but it was a bit messy (Bono hadn't quite gotten the guitar down). Last night they did it sans guitar but with everything else. And it sounded good!

i just listened to the san jose version for the first time one second ago.
definitely not crap.
i was at brooklyn and you are right, bono's guitar was sketchy (shocker).
they are better off playing it this way so he can just focus on singing.
it is my favorite song off the album, and even though i would love to hear edge playing guitar on this, i'd rather they play it with no guitar than not play it at all.

Uhh, yeah, it's crap. It's boring.

This song is supposed to be uplifting, right? That's what I read. It's telling a girl to enjoy her youth, enjoy the life the has and not to grow up too fast. The end of this song is so joyous I can't listen to it without feeling like I'm on a cloud. But not this arrangement.

This starts like it's being played at someone's funeral. And yeah, it picks up, but it sure doesn't sound upbeat like Sweetest Thing did.

I'm sorry, but the piano is no substitute for Edge's guitar chimes of heaven. There IS no substitute.
Bono sounds great but that's only one part of the formula for success. The only really good thing is that at least they didn't play the embarassingly bad strings from the album version.

I just don't understand why you'd take such a majestic track, with such moving and powerful guitar work, and castrate it.

I hope this gets minimal audience response, so they either shelve it or rework it. I am FUCKING SICK of hearing inferior versions of masterpieces like Stay, The Ground Beneath Her Feet, and this one.

Weak. Just weak.

laz

Axver said:

Bono always gets these things wrong. He has such a great memory. :wink:

Actually - I was there and Bono said they had never played it live 'full band.' He specifically said that he and Edge had played it but Larry and Adam had never played with them live. So this was the first live full band performance.

-Miggy

Miggy D said:

Actually - I was there and Bono said they had never played it live 'full band.' He specifically said that he and Edge had played it but Larry and Adam had never played with them live. So this was the first live full band performance.

-Miggy

Axver is right...Bono either has a poor memory, or using a bit of artistic license ;) because they DID play it full band (Adam and Larry included) in Brooklyn, seen it with my own eyes. :)

Here's hoping that Edge multi-tasks and does the piano at the start and picks up the guitar to make the song soar, and help out Bono's vocals, which already seem great. Or maybe recruit Daniel Lanois or Chris Martin to play the piano part at the 1st East Rutherford show! Love the song.

I liked it a lot.............not as exciting as "Zoo Station", which they obviously pulled to get this one in there.........but it was REALLY cool to be there when this song was played live by the full band for the first time on the tour. :drool:

Love the album version.

Liked the Brooklyn version (better than just Edge on piano and Bono, like the Apple thingy version), was a step in the right direction IMO.

This one is beautiful, for all I care they can play it like that and I won't complain. Bono sings better than on Brooklyn version (hey if that's the price for no guitar, I'll take it), and the piano is gorgeus.

Back
Top Bottom