Impromptu birthday cheer from Chicago on 5/10

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jesterjim

Babyface
On Tuesday night (right before Party Girl), Chicago wished Bono a happy birthday with a little birthday cheer, which grew to a roar!

Bono appeared touched. He mentioned how much he and his family enjoyed spending the week in Chicago.

Bono then asked for the "beautiful giant of Chicago". A tall girl (in comparison to Bono) then climbed on stage. Bono asked for "one birthday wish", for her to "sit down". lol

The 5/10 show did not include Yahweh or 40, instead they played Original Of The Species and an encore performance of Vertigo.

All together I thought it was an excellent show.

I've seen every tour since the Unforgettable Fire, and I never thought I would see another show with the same electricity as the 1st time I saw them on the Joshua Tree tour (Detroit 1987), same week they appeared on TIME magazine for the first time, and the same week WOWY hit number 1, but this show was very close!

YES, this show will go down as ONE of the best from the Vertigo tour and maybe even one of the best in U2 history!

This concert was THAT strong - in its intensity, in its performance and in the Love that given between U2 and the audience.

I can proudly say that I was in the section that started the "Happy Birthday" cheer for Bono and it was quite a beautiful moment! :wink:

it was an incredible concert. I had my questions about the setlist, about the streets performance, about the human rights video, before seeing the show in person.

But once I see it with my own eyes, everything worked perfectly. I thought the band was on fire both nights I was there. The crowd to me was a bit ehhh sometimes on 5/10, but 5/9 was great.

RademR said:
The crowd to me was a bit ehhh sometimes on 5/10, but 5/9 was great.

Huh, that's strange. I think it's completely opposite...The crowd sucked around me about 10 feet off the tip of the ellipse on 5/9...everybody just stood there and didn't hardly react. On 5/10 I was front rail in the ellipse and it seemed like everyone was going pretty nuts whenever I looked back. I guess it all depends where you are.

ya i think ure right. i was in the lowers behind the soundboard for 5/9, and everyone around me was getting down.

but in 5/10 i had a side view in the 300 levels and the WHOLE front row (i was in row 2) was sitting down the ENTIRE show.

I've been to the 3 Chicago shows and its hard for me to gather when the crowd has been most into it.

I was in 300 level and it seemed like the crowd was crazy throughout the entire stadium(because I could see everything)

Then 5/9 I was in the ellipse and could only tell what was going on around me (we were going nuts!!)

On 5/10 I felt they performed best, I was in 100-level and couldn't really tell how the 200 and 300 level was.

I do feel 5/10 was the best show, energy and music wise by the band.

It's too bad because "An Cat Dubh" is a great tune, many people hit the exits during that song.

Crowd seemed to really get into "Electric Co" from my vantage point.

Performance wise, I thought 5/9 and 5/10 were basically equally incredible, so I'll wait to hear the bootleg to make a final decision.

Last edited:
RademR said:
It's too bad because "An Cat Dubh" is a great tune, many people hit the exits during that song.

Crowd seemed to really get into "Electric Co" from my vantage point.

Performance wise, I thought 5/9 and 5/10 were basically equally incredible, so I'll wait to hear the bootleg to make a final decision.

Good call!! I am waiting to hear them now too!

Yes, I think Electric Co. was definitely appreciated by the crowd (I assume not everyone in the stadium is familiar with it). I took my 23 yr old cousin (who I've gotten into U2 a bit, although she didn't know the song, her reaction was amazing (and the song is older than her!!).

I just hope we get Gloria tonight :drool:

Being from Europe, I hear much criticism about the shows, so it's really good to hear from the fans how great the shows were, thanks @ all for sharing your impressions.

I wish I could have been at the birthday show :)

Back
Top Bottom