if gd will send his angels LIVE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
U2Man said:

Actually, I thought you were joking about my confusing remark earlier, and that's true...sorry about that :wink:

I didn't say they didn't care for it or like it in general. I just said that right now, they somehow seem to repress it......:shrug:

And when you said that you don't think they want to play IGWSHA because of their bad experiences with that POP song in the past....well, it just seemed to me to support the point I was trying to make about them repressing the POP period, presently.

Maybe its phonetics then and we just keep misinterpreting each other?? :shrug:

Anyway, I said the reason they are not playing IGWSHA is because it didnt work as a live full band song when they tried to play it at the beginning of Popmart. It didnt work then, so I dont see how or why they would try it at this stage. Nothing to do with the song itself or the Popmart period. I didnt even imply that. I'm talking about this specific song. Someone could have brought up Acrobat, and applied it to the Zoo tour, I would have said something similiar about it not being done now as well.

Last edited:
Blue Room said:

If they had felt that way about it they would have continued to work on it in soundcheck during the Popmart tour. Look at Staring At the Sun, they worked on that at every single soundcheck up until they decided to go acoustic with it. After Vegas, they never worked on the full band IGWSHA again. They obviously didnt think it worked that way and had no interest in trying to make it work that way. Not sure why that would change 8 years later and they would suddenly get the urge to work on that song? :shrug:

I would love to see them do it, but there is no way and you indicate that as well. So I'm not sure what your point is?

When bands go on tour they look at their back catalogue and see what songs they'd want to play for the current tour. What made them decide to go back and play Electric Co, or Miss Sarajevo, or to go back and rework the Fly for Elevation tour? Sometimes you just get an urge to play a song and think it would fit in the set.

U2 went back and reworked some of the Pop songs years later for the best of cd because they didnt have enough time to finish the album. It's not that far of a stretch to think theyd want to go back and rework some of the live songs that didnt work because they didnt have enough time to rehearse.

anyway, my point is just that if they did get that urge to work on it so it could be played live, it could be an outstanding live song. Isn't that the point of this thread, to discuss the song being played live?

Last edited:
Chizip said:

When bands go on tour they look at their back catalogue and see what songs they'd want to play for the current tour. What made them decide to go back and play Electric Co, or Miss Sarajevo, or to go back and rework the Fly for Elevation tour? Sometimes you just get an urge to play a song and think it would fit in the set.

All the Boy songs were looked at because the band see's How To Dismantle as kind of a return to that era. So they thought those songs would fit this tour. Miss Sarajevo was added simply because of where the Euro DVD was being shot and they liked the way it worked and have kept it at this stage. The Fly was added because the band thought they needed another Achtung song so they went through those songs and they liked the vibe of The Fly in the original setlist (changed their minds later in the tour and dropped it, Edge felt it lost its energy and the 911 style setlist didnt fit it any longer).

My point is, all those songs were added for specific purposes with something specific in mind. For the life of me, I cant imagine a specific reason why out of all the POP songs they would pick IGWSHA as that song. I dont think it would happen. You point to them reworking The Fly, but they had played The Fly at every Zoo show and had it down. They never got IGWSHA down and didnt even try to.

Again, I think it would be great if they did. But I think there is a better chance of them playing Acrobat and/or Red Hill Mining Town over IGWSHA and those two songs are almost impossibilities on their own.

Blue Room said:

For the life of me, I cant imagine a specific reason why out of all the POP songs they would pick IGWSHA as that song. I dont think it would happen.

Again, I agree, there is no way we'll see it. But maybe they'd want to do it to prove that it could be done well? Instead of giving into failure and dropping a song forever, they could take up the challenge to make it work if they wanted to. I think it could be a cool song to throw after Sometimes...MD/Somtimes/IGWSHA...though that may put some people to sleep

Or they could play it instead of With or Without You. It was a single, as well as on a movie soundtrack and somewhat popular, so its not like it would be the last song in the world to pick. Playboy Mansion would be the absolute last song I'd think would get played live.

But for the last time, I know we wont ever see it, but if they could find a way to make the song work live I would be all for it. Would be much more interesting than bringing back songs like I still havent found...:yawn:. and thats all ill say on that.

Last edited:
Apart from some of the members here as usual (mis)quoting each other and pretending to be provocatice or ironic - this bitching around starts really to get on my nerves (!) - the song itself, which has been the topic, had in fact a strange history during the 1st leg of POPmart '97.
I've attended the now famous Vegas gig myself and all I can say is, that U2 haven't had rehearsed fine at the time, the tour started. This not only regarding some of the POP tunes, but also a part of the elder "Greatest Hits" - which made it a raw, sometimes spontaneous and so very interesting and creative "live rehearsal in public". IGWSHA has been arranged perfectly with nice guitar lines, solo parts and a beautiful The Joshua Tree like backing synth sound as a layer for, what the four played live. On the other hand, Bono obviously had problems with the lyrics (guess what news ...), but improvised much - and the full band version was great and moving, showing a lot of potential for the forthcoming shows ....

But obviously the band decided not to work on it, but to reduce the tune into a snippet being performed after UTEOTW, linked directly. Thus, as NYD conquered that spot, IGWSHA was kicked out of the setlist - never to return. One laugh at the end: The song was published as an official U2 single - at a time, when it had already disappeared completely from the stages of the world.

ZOOTVTOURist said:
Apart from some of the members here as usual (mis)quoting each other and pretending to be provocatice or ironic - this bitching around starts really to get on my nerves (!) - the song itself, which has been the topic, had in fact a strange history during the 1st leg of POPmart '97.
I've attended the now famous Vegas gig myself and all I can say is, that U2 haven't had rehearsed fine at the time, the tour started. This not only regarding some of the POP tunes, but also a part of the elder "Greatest Hits" - which made it a raw, sometimes spontaneous and so very interesting and creative "live rehearsal in public". IGWSHA has been arranged perfectly with nice guitar lines, solo parts and a beautiful The Joshua Tree like backing synth sound as a layer for, what the four played live. On the other hand, Bono obviously had problems with the lyrics (guess what news ...), but improvised much - and the full band version was great and moving, showing a lot of potential for the forthcoming shows ....

But obviously the band decided not to work on it, but to reduce the tune into a snippet being performed after UTEOTW, linked directly. Thus, as NYD conquered that spot, IGWSHA was kicked out of the setlist - never to return. One laugh at the end: The song was published as an official U2 single - at a time, when it had already disappeared completely from the stages of the world.

I'm sorry, I know I'm destroying the ONE campaign with my posts. :laugh: Maybe they will add it as a snippet, but that wont count as a song on the setlist though! :laugh: I will try harder to meet with your stringent posting criteria. I'm sure others will as well. I dont want to upset the posting police.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom