I missed the 3rd encore...have they done that before?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sconti

The Fly
I went to the show last night and missed the 3rd encore. It was my 7th show this tour and I had no idea they were going to pull something out like that. I kind of feel like an ass for missing it, but have they ever done that on this tour before? I guess I should have waited for the house lights to go up, but I thought after Bad/40 they were definitely going to be done. Man, am I kicking myself right now!!!

They sort of did it at MSG on 10/10. They played the 2nd encore of ABOY, Yahweh, and Bad, then they left the stage for a minute or so and returned to do 40. But they were only gone for a minute or so, and I don't think they turned the lights on. Did they turn the lights back on last night and then come back out, or did they keep them off? I'd never leave a show until the lights come on. OMG, I'd be kicking myself if I missed that. I LOVE Fast Cars, and that'd be a right pisser to miss it.

sconti said:
I went to the show last night and missed the 3rd encore. It was my 7th show this tour and I had no idea they were going to pull something out like that. I kind of feel like an ass for missing it, but have they ever done that on this tour before? I guess I should have waited for the house lights to go up, but I thought after Bad/40 they were definitely going to be done. Man, am I kicking myself right now!!!

Wow!, I imagine a lot of tour regulars got burned bigtime on this. I'll be ready for them in Cleveland. I'm not going anywhere. That's awesome they did a 3rd encore. Way to go U2.

I actually thought there was a chance we were getting a 4th encore. Bono definitely wanted to, and was whispering something in Edge's ear... they disappeared down the ramp and the house stayed dark for a good minute or so with thunderous applause..... yes, at that point we were getting greedy....

kyleschaffer said:
I actually thought there was a chance we were getting a 4th encore. Bono definitely wanted to, and was whispering something in Edge's ear... they disappeared down the ramp and the house stayed dark for a good minute or so with thunderous applause..... yes, at that point we were getting greedy....

I agree with you, thinking there was a chance for a 4th encore. The lights stayed down after Fast Cars long enough to tease us and get the crowd into another frenzy. Did Bono want to Vertigo again? who knows, but getting the 3rd encore was absolutely amazing. Hopefully they'll have something left for tonight's show! :wink:

Being their sixth time in Boston this year, with so many folk seeing them for the more than first time, its great they did something like this to shake things up. Nobody wants to see the band on autopilot and the boys raised the bar last night.

kyleschaffer said:

Yeah, I was almost convinced we were getting a fourth too -- apparently after Bono asked Edge, he mouthed "too much?" At least, that's what I've read. But those house lights took so long to come on. Ah well.

As the others who replied, I would never leave my seat until those lights come on.. people were streaming out of my section (Zone 7, right above Loge 7), and I couldn't help but laugh a bit when about half of them streamed back in/stood in the exit when the band launched into ABOY.

Fast Cars was such a treat. But I think I was the only one in my general area who had any concept of the lyrics.

Best songs last night were definitely Bad, Until the End of the World, and Fast Cars :drool:

Why would anyone leave any concert before the house lights come up? That ranks up there with people that feel the need to spend big bucks on a show and then get comepletely trashed before/during the show so that they remember little to nothing about the concert itself.

u2gator

I'd imagine a lot of people figured the show was over and tried to beat-feet out of there before the lights came on to get to their cars quickly in an attempt to beat the rush. At 10/10 at MSG, people were streaming out after With or Without You. My friend and I moved down to the front our our section for the 2nd encore, and after Bad, before they came back for 40, we were tempted to hop the railing and move down even further to the 100-section, because so many people around us had left.

Every concert I go to, I hope to get that extra song like last night's show. That's just too crazy...and FAST CARS! Ugh!

I think it'd be tough for them to top that show tonight. Shall be interesting to see the setlist. Needless to say, I bet fewer people will be leaving before the lights come up!

U2FanPeter said:
I wonder if any of the setlist bitchers that left early are now converted?

u2fp

No, they would still be complaining that ABOY was still in the encore! :laugh:

The key to telling if they are doing more is if you see them leave from under the stage for backstage. If they dont, they are coming back. Typically they leave the houselights down though for a minute or two even after they are done because the band typically leave immediately in their cars following the show. Especially if they are doing a runner.

I wonder if Fast Cars and ABOY were planned last night or if they did it off the cuff. My guess would be it wasnt planned.

Atu2.com reports that Joe O'Herlihy said they were unplanned. And from our seats directly behind the stage, that was obvious. Bono's teleprompter was dark during the 3rd encore, and Larry's tech was frantically scrambling to tape lyric sheets to the drumkit, so Larry would know the song structure for Fast Cars.

hibricc said:
Atu2.com reports that Joe O'Herlihy said they were unplanned. And from our seats directly behind the stage, that was obvious. Bono's teleprompter was dark during the 3rd encore, and Larry's tech was frantically scrambling to tape lyric sheets to the drumkit, so Larry would know the song structure for Fast Cars.

And Bono really only remembered the lyrics to the first verse. It was fantastic, at one point he tells Edge to give him a second, then goes over to Edge to see what the next verse is, Edge gives him a look like I have to idea then it looks like Bono goes to the center tip of the stage to consult with someone there (I think he was asking the audience there). :lol: Then he proceeds to sing jumbled lyrics. It was the greatest moment of the whole show for me. For all of the lyrics mishap though he made up for it with some unforgetable Fast Cars dancing. :drool: :happy:

As far as unplanned goes, the techs were basically on the stage unplugging the mics when all of sudden something happened and they're then feverishly plugging them back in and running around like chickens with their head cut off. At that point I new they were coming back, but I honestly thought they were coming back for Vertigo 2, and even when they did Aboy and Bono said 1 more (after Aboy Adam was just standing there his tech had already taken his Bass and it looked like he was ready to wave goodbye and leave) I thought again it would be Vertigo 2. It was one of those tour moments. Even I couldn't fantasized with them closing with Fast Cars.

Snowlock said:
yep, Minneapolis the game back after yahweh and did Vertigo again

From what I heard, Yahweh was the last song on the setlist, it was going to end there...

They were going to throw in a bonus song, it was gonna be 40 but Bono sensed the crowd and they played Vertigo, then Bono said "Go to bed"

sconti said:

I mean no offence and I don't mean to be rude but HA!!! Seriously I always laugh at the people who start to leave before the house lights come on. Really how much time are you saving by leaving early. Never in my life have I even considered leavig a show before the lights came on. Sorry sconti I don't mean to be an ass. Just use this as a learning lesson. DON'T LEAVE BEFORE THE HOUSE LIGHTS COME ON PEOPLE!!!! How much time do you really save by "beating" the traffic?

U2FanPeter said:
I wonder if any of the setlist bitchers that left early are now converted?
I like how every time U2 does something slightly different one night, someone proclaims the end of setlist bitching.

Re: Re: I missed the 3rd encore...have they done that before?

Hallucination said:
Really how much time are you saving by leaving early.

Depending on where you park and the venue, you can save 30-60 minutes by leaving early. But if your smart and know the ropes and park strategically, you can watch the entire concert and get out of there quickly.

heyho_letsgo said:

Fast Cars was such a treat. But I think I was the only one in my general area who had any concept of the lyrics.

Fast Cars is my son's favorite song. My wife and I were singing along and afterwards people were asking me where to find the song. It was kind of funny.

I can't imagine leaving before the lights come up at least not with a band I like :huh:

Even if you can save 30 minutes you're out for the night relax:wink:

Leaving before the house lights come up is slack. Hang around and make lots of noise, demand another encore. Make the band come back for you. I find that to be part of the fun - after my show on 24 May in Boston, I yelled out the entire tracklistings of The Unforgettable Fire and Zooropa as my friend called for random stuff and we had a great time doing it!

And as far as spontaneous encores go ... back on Elevation, at three shows, U2 closed with spontaneous performances of Out Of Control. Ifr you head back to 7 April 1987, you'll find a show where U2 closed with 40, then came back out to play Trip Through Your Wires and Southern Man. Back on Boy and October, there were somewhat regular occurrences of unplanned encores, usually involving a second performance of I Will Follow.

Last edited:
Axver said:
Leaving before the house lights come up is slack. Hang around and make lots of noise, demand another encore. Make the band come back for you. I find that to be part of the fun - after my show on 24 May in Boston, I yelled out the entire tracklistings of The Unforgettable Fire and Zooropa as my friend called for random stuff and we had a great time doing it!

"I don't care if you want to end with Vertigo, I'm going to sing the end of 40 until the carpark is empty!"

Re: Re: Re: I missed the 3rd encore...have they done that before?

bigwali said:

Depending on where you park and the venue, you can save 30-60 minutes by leaving early. But if your smart and know the ropes and park strategically, you can watch the entire concert and get out of there quickly.
The FleetcenterTDBanknorthBostonGardenbuildingwithtoomanynames isn't that bad to get out of, but the other major concert venues here in the Boston area (Tweeter Center and Foxboro/Gillette Stadium) are nightmares to leave traffic wise, so you'll often see an exodus during encores at these buildings.
Your point of knowing the ropes is a good one. At Tweeter, I'll often leave my seat when I know the band (not U2 they've never played there) is on its last song (with an 11:00 curfew, usually its obvious when the show is about to end) and get to an aisle, watch the band finish up and head out quickly. That little manuever can easily save you a half hour or more at that particular venue.

Six times!?

paulrg said:
Being their sixth time in Boston this year, with so many folk seeing them for the more than first time, its great they did something like this to shake things up. Nobody wants to see the band on autopilot and the boys raised the bar last night.

What the #%*@! How come they only play Cleveland ONCE???? I thought we're supposed to be the home of rock 'n' roll? That pisses me off.
m

Re: Re: Re: I missed the 3rd encore...have they done that before?

bigwali said:

The green line is back in service at the Garden, and it was very easy walking out with all the other people and heading over to it (it's literally right next to the building). We had no problem getting right on the subway and heading over to Lechmere station. We were in the car across the street in about 15 minutes or so.

Back
Top Bottom