I missed the 3rd encore...have they done that before?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Re: Re: I missed the 3rd encore...have they done that before?

Hallucination said:

I mean no offence and I don't mean to be rude but HA!!! Seriously I always laugh at the people who start to leave before the house lights come on. Really how much time are you saving by leaving early. Never in my life have I even considered leavig a show before the lights came on. Sorry sconti I don't mean to be an ass. Just use this as a learning lesson. DON'T LEAVE BEFORE THE HOUSE LIGHTS COME ON PEOPLE!!!! How much time do you really save by "beating" the traffic?

Public transportation was closed early sunday night...since everyone takes the T and even that's sketchy (especially if you need disability access,) the blue line was having major issues - so - yes - i missed my fav song, but after the way they played - they were completely on fire...

Axver said:
And as far as spontaneous encores go ... back on Elevation, at three shows, U2 closed with spontaneous performances of Out Of Control. Ifr you head back to 7 April 1987, you'll find a show where U2 closed with 40, then came back out to play Trip Through Your Wires and Southern Man.

Hey, I was there. Here's how spontaneous it was.
The band left after 40.
The house lights CAME UP.
The Clannad song played almost to conclusion.
Naturally the Summit had began to empty out when the lights suddenly went out again. You can imagine how nuts (and loud)things got with some people stopping where they were to watch, some scrambling to get back to their seats and some rushing the stage. Pre-internet, some people didn't find out for days what they had missed. I wish I could remember exactly what Bono said but I remember him introducing both songs.
I've always wondered if this was the only time U2 continued a concert after closing with 40. Anybody know?
Anybody have a tape of the show, including Trip and Southern Man?
Needless to say, I NEVER leave a U2 concert until the lights have been on AT LEAST 5 minutes or more.

INDY500 said:
Hey, I was there. Here's how spontaneous it was.
The band left after 40.
The house lights CAME UP.
The Clannad song played almost to conclusion.

:ohmy: Wow, I didn't realise it was that majorly spontaneous. That's awesome. I'm really jealous of you, by the way!

By the way, that was the first time Trip Through Your Wires was played on the JT Tour, though it had been done twice beforehand at TV appearances.

I've always wondered if this was the only time U2 continued a concert after closing with 40. Anybody know?

Until this year, it was. On 17 May 2005 in East Rutherford, U2 played Vertigo x2 after 40.

Anybody have a tape of the show, including Trip and Southern Man?

To my knowledge, no such tape exists ... never seen it around anyway.

I was up front and the band left... the techs started taking down ...... .. and then you saw the sheer pandamonium and panick on their faces. I was SOOOOOO happy they came back especially because half of the front row including many "regulars" left to go get a number for the next night. Just shows they are not fans. Many left during BAD !!!! which was on the set list as the last song. I mean left during BAD ... are you insane!!!!! Anyway they came out and sang All because of you ... then Bono turned around to Larry and Adam screamign "Fast Cars.." it was totally unplanned. I was very happy. My 17th show and I wasn't leaving the rail till the house lights went up. Fast Cars was not quit as good as in NY and such... were it was planned and on the set list. If you missed it then you REALLY MISSED IT! Getting a spot for the next night.. is not worth missing a second of a show. And leaving during BAD just shows what kind of fan you really are. PLUS in Boston the stage set up was different and you could the guys come out from the right of the stage and go behind the stage before the show ... and when they left you could see them go out the same way. So anyone up front paying attention knew they were still under the stage.

Re: Re: Re: I missed the 3rd encore...have they done that before?

uppitycrip said:

Public transportation was closed early sunday night...since everyone takes the T and even that's sketchy (especially if you need disability access,) the blue line was having major issues - so - yes - i missed my fav song, but after the way they played - they were completely on fire...

Closed? We came in via the T on the Green Line, and that was never closed, so I'm not sure what type of public transportation you are talking about.

Axver said:

:ohmy: Wow, I didn't realise it was that majorly spontaneous. That's awesome. I'm really jealous of you, by the way!

By the way, that was the first time Trip Through Your Wires was played on the JT Tour, though it had been done twice beforehand at TV appearances.

Until this year, it was. On 17 May 2005 in East Rutherford, U2 played Vertigo x2 after 40.

To my knowledge, no such tape exists ... never seen it around anyway.

Thanks for your answers Axver. I have a very poor recording of the show, but the taper was apparently one of those that left as it's missing the final 2 songs.

Three chords, the truth and a little spontaneity.

Back
Top Bottom