Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aardvark747

Blue Crack Addict
How big was this in America when it came out? I only ask, cos I am quite suprised that U2 havent played the song since Popmart. I can't quite recall how high it got in the UK charts, but I know that many ppl who only know a few U2 songs, always name this one when they're asked.

So given that it IS a very popular, not to mention heavy number, any thoughts on why it's been left out thus far - when they include such 1 n a half minute stunners like 'The Ocean'?

According to Billboard it went to number 1 in the mainstream Rock and Modern Rock charts.

Aardvark747 said:
I can't quite recall how high it got in the UK charts

nor me but it was on my 'Now that's what i call music 32' CD :wink:

first U2 song i ever heard:drool:

this deserves to be brought back

It was a pretty popular tune in the US. It went with the Batman:Forever soundtrack. A song that should have been played on Halloween!!!

In the UK it was Number 2 - June 1995,

and I'm pretty sure it was kept off number one by Boom Boom Boom by the Outhere Brothers - oh dear.

(Either that, or the shockingly poor film that was Batman Forever)

Ellay said:
In the UK it was Number 2 - June 1995,

and I'm pretty sure it was kept off number one by Boom Boom Boom by the Outhere Brothers - oh dear.

(Either that, or the shockingly poor film that was Batman Forever)

haha 'Boom boom boom' - i remember that gem from the mid-ninties

i really liked Batman Forever as well :reject:

That song is HOT!!!:drool:

I love all the OOHH's Bono puts in that song.:wink:

Considering their extensive catalog, it's hard to see this song even in the their top 50%...

Probably why we'll never see it again live

Although... it would certainly be more interesting live than The Ocean... Every time I've seen Ocean this year it's been like a mass exodus to the concession stands...

jrjunior31 said:
Although... it would certainly be more interesting live than The Ocean... Every time I've seen Ocean this year it's been like a mass exodus to the concession stands...

ya, no clue why they play this song. absolutely no clue.

but "thrill me" is classic, love that song. it rocked on Popmart.

This is going to seem like a leap, but the other day when I listened to it, I had a moment. I swear this song influenced, or seeded, Radiohead's Ok Computer era on some small level. The guitar effects and subtle electronic sounds are pretty telling, IMO.

Nube Gris said:
it hit #14 on the US Billboard Hot 100

Actually, it was #16.

But as was noted, it was #1 on both the maintream rock and modern rock charts. It was a very successful single, and I'm surprised they haven't played it since.

I'd love to hear it in the encore with Discotheque.

phanan said:

Actually, it was #16.

But as was noted, it was #1 on both the maintream rock and modern rock charts. It was a very successful single, and I'm surprised they haven't played it since.

And it got rejected from entering Zooropa because they didn't want a hit.

:hmm:

Back
Top Bottom