Goodbye old friend

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Axver said:

Of course, the irony here is so many people were pleading for variety - I guess they only wanted variety if it meant they got their favourite songs.

That's sure how I feel about variety. :yes: I mean, if they replaced The Fly with Drowning Man, I would be Mad As Hell. (I don't care for DM).

i'm just upset they dropped the songs entirely, i mean seriously i could go with swapping them around the set, they don't have to be in the encore.... i'd much rather hear the fly that sunday bloody sunday.

granted ultraviolet would be great anywhere.

even after the long break they have continued with the "adult contemporary" encore :sad:

VertigoGal said:

That's sure how I feel about variety. :yes: I mean, if they replaced The Fly with Drowning Man, I would be Mad As Hell. (I don't care for DM).

:lmao:

You're insane.

Edge plays acoustic guitar now?

I heard it with Edge on electric guitar!

Nananananaananaana!!! :p

God Part III said:
Edge plays acoustic guitar now?

I heard it with Edge on electric guitar!

Nananananaananaana!!! :p

Actually, the version they are doing now is a little better than the full electric version. It builds more with Larry's drums and Adam's bass. Plus I always preferred the single version versus the album version anyway. I may be the only one, but no nananana at me. I would rather hear it the way the are doing it now. :shrug:

U2 gets bashed for rehashing things on this tour, yet the biggest rehash - the Zoo tv encore, right down to the character moves, flashing words, changing costume - is the "best thing on this tour".

:up:

Axver said:
I totally don't believe this and I think some of you are panicking way too soon. If you ask me, this is simply a way of U2 holding time before they debut some new material with a setlist order that they're comfortable with. I mean, opening an encore with The First Time? Like that's going to hang around for the next 42 shows.

is it ok to panic now?

It looks as if The First Time encore is here to stay. Unless U2 pull a 180 for the New York shows it seems like the acoustic encore will be around until December. I do like the songs and haven't heard First Time live but I do think they might be better in a different part of the show. They could have a two song acoustic set like Zoo, Popmart and Elevation.

You guys are crazy. There's no way The First Time is going to stick around for every show on the Leg. Enjoy it while its here!

its to obscure to warrant being played every night of a tour leg.

It will end up i fear being replaced by stuck, o rmayb even original. Never workewd out why that thing seems 2 b on the dvd's yet never actually gets played outside dvd-zone

Chizip said:
It appears that what many have considered the best part of the Vertigo show has faded away only to live on in our memories.

The Zoo babies followed by spine tingling rocking versions of Zoo Station and the Fly once reminded us all that was right in U2 shows, and in the world. But now, this combo appears to be gone forever, with faint hope it could make a rare appearance in a city with multiple dates.

Now this would be easier to take if it was replaced by equally amazing rockers Mofo and Discotheque, but apparently U2 has decided to go with the adult contemporary route for the first encore.

Don't get me wrong, I love the First Time, but the encore should open with a rocker. Here's to hoping the Chicago 9/20 show's encore becomes the norm and the shows following it are just an aberration.

But it doesn't look good :sigh:

Having seen U2 too many times this tour, I concur. However, it's an interesting trade.

The one thing I missed in Leg 1 was the simple acoustic set that Edge and Bono did so brilliantly during the Elevation tour. In Leg 1, I often felt that U2 didn't use the ramp enough - especially compared to how often they used the heart during the Elevation tour. In direct contrast, I love seeing how U2 uses the ramp in Leg 3 - and I love hearing the acoustic setlist. Some call it U2-lite or Adult Contemporary U2, but I think this mini-setlist is great for an encore.

However, the second encore should be a lot more rocking. Last night (10/4) we heard ABoY, which is great, then "40". That's it. I was quite disappointed. Here was a chance to do some ZOO TV, or "Bad" or even "Fast Cars" or anything - but they just ended with "40". I'm not a fan of double "Vertigo", but I'd rather hear that than see this rather wimpy second encore.

IMO, the acoustic setlist is brilliant for the first encore - keep it. But the second encore should be rocking. And if they want to mix it up, do a "Bad/40" lead out.

The spot where the First Time is now, and where the Zoo/Fly/Mysterious mix was, instead of being the same every night, could be a place for mixing it up. While the Discoteque suggestion is a good one, other "surprise" nuggets that could fit there and may not be *totally* unrealistice include:
Kite
Wake Up Dead Man
Staring at the Sun
Desire
All I want is you
One tree hill
A sort of homecoming

As for the closer. I like th 15 minute "Bad-40" medley, especially if he adds Ruby Tuesday, Walk on the Wild Side, and Sympathy for the Devil just for old time's sake.

Or why not trying the Beautiful Day-Electric Co' section here for once? Why not Zoo or Pop it up early in the show?

just thinking and looking forward to them throwing caution out the window late in the tour.

Anu

Back
Top Bottom