Get Rid of the Usual Songs (At Least Some of Them)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lancerla

The Fly
I would love to hear some new songs with some old this time around -- and for them to take out the same songs we've been hearing for years.

I'd love it if they took out:

With or Without You
Pride
New Year's Day
I Will Follow
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Desire

And I wouldn't be upset if I didn't hear:

Bullet the Blue Sky
Beautiful Day
Elevation
One (loses it live)

But they have to play Streets. And as many songs off the new album as they can.

And I'd love to hear:

Bad
I Fall Down
Kite not acoustic
a proper All I Want is You
Running to Stand Still & Zooropa (yeah right)
Electric Co.
Dirty Day
Gone

Whatever. As long as those tickets arrive soon.

Last edited:
Kite's never been done acoustic (not sure if you are implying it has or not).

And a 'proper' AIWIY? Yeah, they did that on Elevation ...

U2's setlists will never satisfy everybody. Personally, I don't care what they play. I just want to see them. Maybe I'm too easily pleased.

Axver said:
Kite's never been done acoustic (not sure if you are implying it has or not).

And a 'proper' AIWIY? Yeah, they did that on Elevation ...

U2's setlists will never satisfy everybody. Personally, I don't care what they play. I just want to see them. Maybe I'm too easily pleased.

kite was def done acoustic on elevation - think it might have been at Slane, i dont know about the others. Bono comes up to the front with a guitar and tells a story about his and edges dad's "pissed as farts" walking through New York singing and then dedicates Kite to his dad.

at least i think it was kite... or have i got it totally wrong...?

Beautiful Day
Elevation
One (loses it live)
all must be played (as well as with or without you)
if they play all the songs of the new album it would be too boring.
They only have a couple of good rockers on the new album, the rest is good for accustic/bstage only

digsy said:

kite was def done acoustic on elevation - think it might have been at Slane, i dont know about the others. Bono comes up to the front with a guitar and tells a story about his and edges dad's "pissed as farts" walking through New York singing and then dedicates Kite to his dad.

your right that is kite, but it is a full band version- not acoustic. it was always played full band on elevation.

digsy said:

Bono would hold his guitar and tell the story, and he would often repeat the final verse of Kite while strumming solo, but just because he had the guitar doesn't make it acoustic. The way the song was done on Boston and Slane was very much full band, which was the way it was always done on Elevation.

lancerla said:
One (loses it live)

I find this funny. Because One is the only track on Achtung Baby that I'd skip because it doesn't come close to how amazing it sounds live.

UTEOTW has been played a lot, however, it holds a message the band really likes to share. And of course Bono and The Edge like to act out their parts. The crowd goes wild.

WOWY is so classic. it's the one song that i would be really sad not to hear.
as for the rest on your list, sure, i wouldn't mind if they dropped them. but they're crowd favorites.

The best part about "Desire" during Elevation was the band intros they usually did before it. I didn't like a lot of the versions on that tour, it seemed so "unrehearsed" at times. Now if they did a Lovetown version, :drool:

So it can go, but all the rest of the classics they should play. Not everynight, but most of the time.

Two songs that need to be played every night: one and streets

I wouldn't mind the acoustic version of Desire to go. But if they bring back an electic version (which would compliment songs like All Because Of You well), then it should be there and in full force.

the tourist said:
I wouldn't mind the acoustic version of Desire to go. But if they bring back an electic version (which would compliment songs like All Because Of You well), then it should be there and in full force.

Hell yeah! If you've heard Desire, 27 September 1989, you know how Desire's meant to be.

Desire (Lovetown, with solo)
All Along The Watchtower
All Because Of You
(or put ABOY first if you like)

:drool: :drool: :drool:

I'm sick to death of Bullet the Blue Sky. It's not a classic and it's far too overdone to excite anyone. Drop it, please.

Until the End of the World has gotten pretty old, too. I'm not quite as tired of that song as I am with Bullet, but I would rather they drop the song in favor of an oldie that has been played in a while like the Unforgettable Fire or something like that.

I certainly wouldn't shed any tears if Pride or New Year's Day were dropped. And if all U2 are planning on doing with Desire is the same boring acoustic version they kept trotting out during the Elevation tour, they may as well keep that one in the vault, too. I would give a kidney to hear a full band version of Desire, though.

I also won't miss any of the All That You Can't Leave Behind songs. Keep Beautiful Day in the setlist (I see them using that song to open the Encore) but, well, leave the rest behind.

I must say that I will never tire of With or Without You, One, I Will Follow, or I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For.

Okay, they simply CANNOT take out One or Streets. As far as I'm concerned those are the only two true U2 staples.

I'm sorry, but I'm sick of Pride. That can go. And I'm not a huge fan of Still Haven't Found, either. Bullet is brilliant but I have to say the Elevation version was a little weak compared to ZooTV and Popmart...if they can make it more like the 90s, maybe somehow incorporate eye-rack but without sounding too cheesy...I dunno, I want BTBS but only if it really, really ROCKS. WOWY and UTEOTW I think are too classic to drop, but they're not quite up to One/Streets level. Sunday Bloody Sunday is one of my favourites but could perhaps use a rest...I dunno. If they do play it I hope it's either Edge-solo like Popmart or way fast and punky like the early days. New Year's Day is good but I could live without it. Personally I think The Fly should be added onto the essential list...Elevation was the best version yet.

Play some Pop tunes!!! That's all I ask. Last Night on Earth and Please, anyone? :drool:

nicholsfornixon said:
I'm sick to death of Bullet the Blue Sky. It's not a classic and it's far too overdone to excite anyone. Drop it, please.

Until the End of the World has gotten pretty old, too. I'm not quite as tired of that song as I am with Bullet, but I would rather they drop the song in favor of an oldie that has been played in a while like the Unforgettable Fire or something like that.

Although I think they should play UF, I'd be sorely disappointed to not see Bullet, seeing as it is the most rocking U2 song. And Edge's moment of guitar-hero glory under the spotlight.

Back
Top Bottom