Fifth leg setlists.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Axver

Vocal parasite
With an announcement of dates imminent and rumours abounding of three shows in a couple of Aussie cities, I've started to give some more thought to the upcoming sets. I've previously subscribed to the school of thought that suggests the sets will be pretty much what was played on the fourth leg (given the huge gap between dates, I really don't think it's fair to consider the upcoming dates as part of the fourth leg).

But the fourth leg didn't acquire a static, fully defined setlist. All Because Of You made only two shows. Original Of The Species, Yahweh, and Fast Cars cropped up a few times. Stuck In A Moment and The First Time weren't permanent. All I Want Is You started to settle in as a closer but who knows if that will last or if 40 will be back. COBL started opening the stadium shows, but maybe U2 will revert to Vertigo? Keep in mind, in the Southern Hemisphere, the sun sets later in the evening in November/December than in March, though I'm not sure if it would set late enough to impact visuals in cities like Auckland (I know it definitely would not in Brisbane even on the longest day as it's completely dark by 8pm!).

Also, keep in mind Australia missed out on Elevation after initial reports suggested U2 were coming, so what Elevation material might we see? I think Stuck In A Moment, if it wasn't definite before, is thoroughly certain now if the dates do fall in November, given the proximity to the anniversary of Hutchence's suicide. Might we also see Walk On? And as faint a chance as this is, In A Little While or even something not played since Elevation?

And then there's the unresolved question from the original dates: will we get location-specific songs? Specifically, we're all well aware of One Tree Hill in New Zealand, but there's also the case of Van Diemen's Land in Melbourne, just across Bass Strait from the real Van Diemen's Land, Tasmania. And here's an idea so far removed from reality that I'm typing it more for the amusement factor than anything else: might U2 finally get their act together and play Mofo?

I do hope we get third nights in Melbourne and Sydney - they'd sell for sure, and we could get some interesting sets. Maybe we'd be lucky enough to hear Fast Cars. I honestly think that after all this time, we may see a few setlist alterations. Of course, the core set will stay - the War series, the Africa trilogy, and I expect we'll get the Zoo encore. But some other parts could be variable; the band especially seemed to not nail down a firm second encore on the fourth leg. Bring on One Tree Hill, I say! :hyper:

I was thinking about this the other day, I was thinking they should play Mofo here in NZ, since we didn't get Popmart :wink: :drool: .

It could easily be like ZooTV where they suddenly change it. Zoomerang had Dirty Day, Daddy's Gonna Pay, and Lemon.

And they've had plenty of time to practice songs they want to add.

I hope we get an INXS cover for Sydney.
Don't Change :drool:

OK maybe that's asking for too much but this isnt:
OOTS EVERY NIGHT!!!

MacHat said:
I was thinking about this the other day, I was thinking they should play Mofo here in NZ, since we didn't get Popmart :wink: :drool: .

Back in March, my dream was that New Zealand would get Mofo. I believe early Popmart tour programmes actually listed New Zealand (and Singapore) as somewhere the tour would visit. It's a shame that didn't turn into reality, and I hope NZ gets at least one Pop song. Even if I'm not there to hear it. :sad:

phillyfan26 said:
It could easily be like ZooTV where they suddenly change it. Zoomerang had Dirty Day, Daddy's Gonna Pay, and Lemon.

And they've had plenty of time to practice songs they want to add.

As true as that is, the fifth leg of ZooTV followed the Zooropa album while it appears that this time, there's no new material on the horizon.

Axver said:
As true as that is, the fifth leg of ZooTV followed the Zooropa album while it appears that this time, there's no new material on the horizon.

I'm not saying with new material, but material they haven't used on Vertigo. We do need a little extra Pop. New Zealand deserves some extra Pop!

Or maybe we'll have a new song about the injustice NZ has faced without Pop material...?

We're still waiting for Electrical Storm and ugh.. A Man And A Woman. One Step Closer as a snippet maybe? I guess a slim chance for the boy miniset instead of the overused boring UTEOTW->NYD->ISHFWILF.

Nisse said:
We're still waiting for Electrical Storm and ugh.. A Man And A Woman. One Step Closer as a snippet maybe? I guess a slim chance for the boy miniset instead of the overused boring UTEOTW->NYD->ISHFWILF.

UTEOTW and NYD are still great. It's Still Haven't Found that needs to go.

phillyfan26 said:

I'm not saying with new material, but material they haven't used on Vertigo. We do need a little extra Pop. New Zealand deserves some extra Pop!

Or maybe we'll have a new song about the injustice NZ has faced without Pop material...?

What I meant is that the new songs on ZooTV's fifth leg were all new songs; U2 didn't bring any old songs out of retirement despite the long break. So if there were some new material on the horizon, we'd probably see that in the set, but as there isn't, will they use some time to rehearse old material or just go with what they had? I guess it's hard to know given there is no precedent.

And ha, what a great song idea: "We Regret Rorting New Zealand Out Of Popmart". And then they release an EP, "Sorry To All The Countries We've Never Visited". :lol:

My guess is there wont be anything drastically different from what has been done so far on the tour (and I mean out of all the setlists they have done, not just 4th leg). I would guess the differences will be of the snippet variety mainly. I could possibly see something new that is acoustic. Most likely the setlists will be similiar to the 4th leg setlists. As Axver mentioned though the lighting could be a factor. If its not dark by showtime, I think Vertigo will reappear as the opener like in Europe. Which means it could be the reappearence of Vertigo X2! :laugh: I can already see the bitching threads starting about that.

From all the reports I have been seeing they have been dealing with their personal life OR they have been in the studio working on new material. I dont think they have spent any of the off time so far rehearsing anything for the 5th leg. So at this point, the large break means nothing as far as them adding different songs to the setlist. :shrug:

Last edited:
Blue Room said:
As Axver mentioned though the lighting could be a factor. If its not dark by showtime, I think Vertigo will reappear as the opener like in Europe.

I just did some research on sunset times in the relevant cities, and if the concerts are in November, I think U2 won't have problems. Brisbane, Sydney, and Adelaide are definitely fine, with the sun setting prior to 9pm even on the longest day in December, and in November, sunset is around or before 8pm. Melbourne's is a little later but doesn't get past 9pm either, and the Telstra Dome has a roof anyway. Auckland is roughly the same as Melbourne, and Wellington, were it added, would probably not be problematic either as sunset falls earlier than 9pm during the relevant timeframe. The only city that could pose a problem is Christchurch, if it is added: sunset is close to 9pm in late November, and after 7 December, it is after 9pm.

I guess we'll have to wait and see, but if darkness = COBL opening, then COBL will probably stay.

From all the reports I have been seeing they have been dealing with their personal life OR they have been in the studio working on new material. I dont think they have spent any of the off time so far rehearsing anything for the 5th leg. So at this point, the large break means nothing as far as them adding different songs to the setlist. :shrug:

Though would there be much point in rehearsing material for the tour now? If the shows take place in November, that's still four months away.

Axver said:

Though would there be much point in rehearsing material for the tour now? If the shows take place in November, that's still four months away.

There wouldnt be any point in it. But someone mentioned that they could have spent all this time working on new songs to play so they were a possibility. I was commenting on that.

My guess would be they wont start playing as a live band again until a week or two before the tour re-starts. The focus then will be to get the songs they were doing before back in good shape and I doubt they will be focused on adding something different then.

Like I have been saying, I'm guessing based on their touring history and rehearsal/soundcheck history. Of course they could surprise everyone. But I think the odds are much greater that this will happen over what U2 typically does.

I see them playing the 4 singles from ATYCLB, One Tree Hill, and All I Want is You with a Never Tear Us Apart snippet some time during at leg.

I hope any song from Pop rises from the cellar, Gone most likely will show up.

I don't think it's going to be darker to open with COBL... so here's my projected setlist

Vertigo
I Will Follow
Elevation
The Electric Co.
New Year's Day
Beautiful Day
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
One Tree Hill
City Of Blinding Lights
Miracle Drug
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
Love And Peace Or Else
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Bullet The Blue Sky
Miss Sarajevo
Pride (In The Name Of Love)
Where The Streets Have No Name
One

MOFO
The Fly
Electrical Storm
With Or Without You

Yahweh
Original Of The Species

theu2fly said:
I don't think it's going to be darker to open with COBL

Why not? I checked the sunset times on timeanddate.com for November and December, and only Christchurch after 7 December could really cause problems.

Australia and New Zealand are not as far south as Europe is north, so you don't get the sun up to ridiculously late hours unless you're down around Invercargill/Dunedin way.

The one rumor article said they're having stage things delivered to Japan in early October, so they could be rehearsing there before the fifth leg.

theu2fly said:
I don't think it's going to be darker to open with COBL... so here's my projected setlist

Vertigo
I Will Follow
Elevation
The Electric Co.
New Year's Day
Beautiful Day
One Tree Hill
City Of Blinding Lights
Miracle Drug
Love And Peace Or Else
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Bullet The Blue Sky
Miss Sarajevo
One

MOFO
The Fly
Electrical Storm
With Or Without You

Yahweh
Original Of The Species
if only...

i think its safe to say that the zoo encore will stay (i hope it does) and they might even add more songs from that era, afterall they are releasing zoo tv on dvd so im sure they'd wanna support it in some form.....

but yeah i cant wait! i hope it doesnt clash with uni cause if i have to chose, sorry uni!

theu2fly said:

Vertigo
I Will Follow
Elevation
The Electric Co.
New Year's Day
Beautiful Day
One Tree Hill
City Of Blinding Lights
Miracle Drug
Love And Peace Or Else
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Bullet The Blue Sky
Miss Sarajevo
One

MOFO
The Fly
Electrical Storm
With Or Without You

Yahweh
Original Of The Species

I seriously doubt Mofo or Electrical Storm are happening. MOFO would have been done on the 4th leg if it was something they were still considering and Electrical Storm would have been done in Europe if it was something they seriously were going to explore playing (which they never did really explore). One Tree Hill may happen, but my guess is it will be acoustic only (similiar to what they did with Mothers Of The Disappeared in Argentina) in the final encore, and it will only be NZ that gets it. I also think City will still be the opener based on what Axver indicated about the sunset times. So I doubt your setlist is happening.

City of Blinding Lights
Vertigo
Elevation
I Will Follow / The Electric Co.
Until the End of the World
New Year's Day
Beautiful Day
Stuck in a Moment / Walk On
Sometimes You Can't Make It on Your Own
Love And Peace Or Else
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Bullet The Blue Sky
Miss Sarajevo
One

Zoo Station / Mofo
The Fly / Gone
Mysterious Ways / Discotheque
With or Without You

One Tree Hill
Original of the Species
All I Want is You

The first encore I hope ends up like that, but it probably won't.

:scratch: Is this thread suppose to be what you hope they will play or what you think they will play? Maybe I misunderstood.

I did mine based on what I think they'd play. :shrug:

the Mofo, Gone, Discotheque -> WOWY thing is pure fancy.

Blue Room said:
:scratch: Is this thread suppose to be what you hope they will play or what you think they will play? Maybe I misunderstood.

thu2fly likes to post setlists in as much places as he can

Blue Room said:
One Tree Hill may happen, but my guess is it will be acoustic only (similiar to what they did with Mothers Of The Disappeared in Argentina) in the final encore, and it will only be NZ that gets it.

Wasn't MOTD initially going to be a full band version and they only switched to the charango version after the Chilean president gave a charango to Bono as a gift?

Blue Room said:

I guess this thread can be a bit of both, though I was intending for it to be realistic. I've no problem with "I hope they play The Electric Co.", even though the band seems to have given that the boot, but this isn't the place for "Wire needs to be in the set!"

Axver said:

Wasn't MOTD initially going to be a full band version and they only switched to the charango version after the Chilean president gave a charango to Bono as a gift?

I guess this thread can be a bit of both, though I was intending for it to be realistic. I've no problem with "I hope they play The Electric Co.", even though the band seems to have given that the boot, but this isn't the place for "Wire needs to be in the set!"

Rumor had it that they "briefly" worked on a semi full band version in Mexico City during soundcheck. But that they also worked on an acoustic version as well at that time. I say One Tree Hill acoustic because it will be much more simple for them to do and wont require much rehearsal time. Just as a reference, they worked on a full band, semi full band, and an acoustic version of So Cruel back during the Zoo Tour. Which one was played at a show? Obviously acoustic only, thats what I'm basing my predictions on, what their pattern has been in the past with this type of thing. :shrug:

Actually, Electric Co wouldnt really surprise me if its done as it was obviously done extensively for alot of the Vertigo tour. I think that is way more realistic than the band pulling out stuff that hasnt been done at all on the tour so far.

Blue Room said:

Rumor had it that they "briefly" worked on a semi full band version in Mexico City during soundcheck. But that they also worked on an acoustic version as well at that time. I say One Tree Hill acoustic because it will be much more simple for them to do and wont require much rehearsal time. Just as a reference, they worked on a full band, semi full band, and an acoustic version of So Cruel back during the Zoo Tour. Which one was played at a show? Obviously acoustic only, thats what I'm basing my predictions on, what their pattern has been in the past with this type of thing. :shrug:

You've got a point - I just don't want it to be right as I don't like the idea of a watered-down, acoustic One Tree Hill. :wink: Though I don't think there's such a strong pattern of acoustic songs - Fast Cars on the third/fourth legs of this tour was full band, Bad on the fourth of Popmart was too, and Please was initially full band on Elevation before the band reverted to the acoustic version.

Actually, Electric Co wouldnt really surprise me if its done as it was obviously done extensively for alot of the Vertigo tour. I think that is way more realistic than the band pulling out stuff that hasnt been done at all on the tour so far.

True, but I've just become skeptical about The Electric Co. returning, given its slow decline of regularity on the third leg and its solitary appearance on the fourth leg. If the band decide not to change much from what they played in South America, it seems there is no place for The Electric Co.

I wouldn't count on too many different songs; it's not like they're going to spend two months locked away to rehearse, especially if they are working on new stuff. They'll go with the familiar.

I bet you'll get:

Vertigo
COBL
LAPOE
OOTS or MD
Sometimes or Stuck
ABOY
Yahweh

Beautiful Day
Elevation

Miss S. or The First Time or Zoo Station

The Fly
One
UTEOTW or WGRYWH or Myst Ways or New Years Day

All I Want Is You or Bad or 40

Streets
WOWY or One Tree Hill
ISHFWILF or RTSS
Bullet

Pride

SBS

Gloria or Electric Co
An Cat Dubh/Into The Heart or The Ocean
---

Or they could pull a Lovetown 2 and I'd hate you all.

OR, you could get a new song. Personally, I'd be hoping for that over frickin' mofo.

Great thread and great posts by all of you..... I usually don't wiegh in on these threads but here's what I've been thinking about.

I really do think One Tree Hill has a good chance to be played in NZ/Aust. It's one of my all-time favorites not only U2 songs but from any band, I think it will be fantastic for them pull this gem out and play it for such a willing audience who have waited a long time to see them.

Mofo would also be a good bet - maybe even better than One Tree Hill. I hate to say this but I'm looking forward to the shows and the set list parties but I have a sneaky suspicion I may be a bit let down. In my mind I see them play standard 4th leg setlists switching maybe UTEOTW with Mysterious Ways or The Fly and Zoo Station. I've seen many shows starting with the War Tour and from a Band who doesn't mix things up historically anyway I don't see much of a big change with the 5th Leg - I hope I'm surprised though.

CHEERS

AXVER - when was the last full version of One Tree Hill played?

I'm such a setlist geek:nerd:

wouldn't it be something to hear the opening chords to Unforgettable Fire, Love is Blindness or In God's Country or something so different?

Last edited:
YBORCITYOBL said:
I hate to say this but I'm looking forward to the shows and the set list parties but I have a sneaky suspicion I may be a bit let down. In my mind I see them play standard 4th leg setlists switching maybe UTEOTW with Mysterious Ways or The Fly and Zoo Station. I've seen many shows starting with the War Tour and from a Band who doesn't mix things up historically anyway I don't see much of a big change with the 5th Leg - I hope I'm surprised though.

This is how I'm feeling, really. I think the main set will be pretty much the same as what's been done. Really, the only part that could change is the opening bit, which is currently:

1. COBL
2. Vertigo
3. Elevation
4. UTEOTW
5. NYD
6. ISHFWILF
7. Beautiful Day
One or two acoustic songs (I say definitely Stuck In A Moment), then SYCMIOYO and we know the run through to One.

I think that order will stay, but maybe they'll pull out some Boy stuff again - or maybe it will still be light (I'm now not sure if those sunset times guarantee 9pm will have total darkness or just if the sun will be below the horizon but some light still in the sky) and they'll have to open with Vertigo, which I think is a good sign for Boy material.

AXVER - when was the last full version of One Tree Hill played?

9 January 1990 in Rotterdam. Last time U2 were in New Zealand in 1993, it was snippeted at the end of One.

wouldn't it be something to hear the opening chords to Unforgettable Fire, Love is Blindness or In God's Country or something so different?

I'd go nuts. :drool:

You have to remember that a lot of these songs will not have been played for 9 months when they go for them so... think of something you learned off 9 months ago and try and remember it now... that is exactly the way it is going to be for the band...with the newer material at least. The band should be approaching these setlists as if it would be a completely new tour

I think we could see a total setlist shake up, I think that it is not out of the question, it wouldnt surprise me if the Africa part and the War part was completely taken away as to the band this isnt what they are into now, that was nine months ago and they came up with these Ideas two years ago, I'm not saying they will go, I'm just saying there is a big case for them going.

Bono said they will be amazing shows because it will be their last chance they play these songs for a very long time so I would be expecting Greatest Hits setlists wit a lot of emphasis on the bomb songs and (and some greatest hits if you like) that the band thinks wont be played again (at least on the next tour)

Hopefully it will be the last time Beautiful Day is ever played

Back
Top Bottom