Fifth leg setlists.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I really can't imagine them getting too adventurous with the setlists for what would appear to be only 10-15 shows. Tweaking it a bit to reflect 10 year gap sounds credible and One Tree Hill is in my top 5.

I go mental if I heard the UF intro...much like Electric Co San Deigo.

jimjam said:
You have to remember that a lot of these songs will not have been played for 9 months when they go for them so... think of something you learned off 9 months ago and try and remember it now... that is exactly the way it is going to be for the band...with the newer material at least. The band should be approaching these setlists as if it would be a completely new tour

This is a good point. However, I wonder if the band will work on the idea that it's easier to re-learn a song like NYD or AIWIY, songs they played nine months ago, than a song like LNOE, which they last played nine YEARS ago (well, 8.5 years, but who's being pedantic?).

I am wondering if they'll decide to bring out the "simpler" songs that are easier to rehearse, given they'll be aware they're probably a bit rusty - think I Will Follow and Desire here.

I think we could see a total setlist shake up, I think that it is not out of the question, it wouldnt surprise me if the Africa part and the War part was completely taken away as to the band this isnt what they are into now, that was nine months ago and they came up with these Ideas two years ago, I'm not saying they will go, I'm just saying there is a big case for them going.

I'd like you to be right but I think you're totally wrong. The War and Africa series are integral parts of the Vertigo Tour sets and I really don't see the band dropping them. If they do make alterations (which I don't expect), all I can really imagine is RTSS back instead of Miss Sarajevo or Crumbs being slotted in somewhere.

Bono said they will be amazing shows because it will be their last chance they play these songs for a very long time

That quote, to me, implies that they will keep playing the same stuff, like Zoo Station and OOTS and whatnot. I guess we'll see.

But here's my pick for a song if they choose to do something new or out of the ordinary: A Man And A Woman. It will be summertime down here, and AMAAW was a popular song on radio during the summer after HTDAAB's release. It would suit the time of year perfectly, and if they do an acoustic version, it would probably be quite easy to learn too.

Hmm? Someone mention WIRE?

Vertigo
I Will Follow
Elevation
Wire
New Year's Day
Beautiful Day
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
City Of Blinding Lights
The First Time
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
Love And Peace Or Else
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Bullet The Blue Sky
Miss Sarajevo
Pride (In The Name Of Love)
Where The Streets Have No Name
One

Zoo Station
The Fly
Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
With Or Without You

All Because Of You
Original Of The Species
One Tree Hill

Axver said:
I've no problem with "I hope they play The Electric Co.", even though the band seems to have given that the boot, but this isn't the place for "Wire needs to be in the set!"

And I intended that we use this thread for discussion, not just posting custom sets with little or no elaboration as to how it relates to the topic at hand.

Axver said:
But here's my pick for a song if they choose to do something new or out of the ordinary: A Man And A Woman. It will be summertime down here, and AMAAW was a popular song on radio during the summer after HTDAAB's release. It would suit the time of year perfectly, and if they do an acoustic version, it would probably be quite easy to learn too.

I secretly have had that in the back of my mind. I'm not a big fan, but if they ever intended to do it, now is the time.

Another thing to consider is curfew times, In Europe U2 had to leave the stage by between 10:30 in some shows and 11:30 in others this meant the they usually went on stage between 8:30 and 9:00 This could mean there may be some brightness at certain shows... if there is a curfew

jimjam said:
You have to remember that a lot of these songs will not have been played for 9 months when they go for them so... think of something you learned off 9 months ago and try and remember it now... that is exactly the way it is going to be for the band...with the newer material at least. The band should be approaching these setlists as if it would be a completely new tour

You'd be surprised how much you can pick up like an old glove once you start rehearsing again. I sometimes play old stuff after not having played it for years and it just goes like I played it yesterday.

Besides, its not as if they haven't played these songs over and over and over again ad nauseum. I predict the real bitch will not be in playing these songs again, but in getting the flow of the show right. That will probably cause the most changes, if any.

jimjam said:
Another thing to consider is curfew times, In Europe U2 had to leave the stage by between 10:30 in some shows and 11:30 in others this meant the they usually went on stage between 8:30 and 9:00 This could mean there may be some brightness at certain shows... if there is a curfew

Hmm, good point, I don't know what the curfews are like here, though I think I remember someone saying that U2 could probably go pretty late at Telstra Stadium in Sydney, given there aren't any residential areas nearby.

Also, I wonder how long U2 will actually spend in rehearsal. That may be the determining factor about whether we get new songs - will they rehearse just long enough to pick up where they left off, or will they schedule more time, enough to experiment with some new ideas and possibly introduce them into the set?

Axver said:

Also, I wonder how long U2 will actually spend in rehearsal. That may be the determining factor about whether we get new songs - will they rehearse just long enough to pick up where they left off, or will they schedule more time, enough to experiment with some new ideas and possibly introduce them into the set?

Its certainly possible. I think the fact that Bono hates rehearsal makes the odds greater that they will do just enough to pick up where they left off and not more. :shrug: If I had to guess, anything new would be added a few shows in and it would be something they worked on during soundcheck or in the dressing room before a show. Which to me would mean something acoustic most likely.

Blue Room said:
Bono hates rehearsal

That certainly explains a lot. :wink:

I agree with your thoughts - though I certainly hope we get a surprise, as unlikely as that may be. How long did the band spend rehearsing in Toronto, it was three days, wasn't it? We got Fast Cars, In A Little While, and Discotheque out of that one. Maybe we'll be lucky again this time. I'd just be happy if they brought back some of the lesser-played Vertigo songs, such as The Frst Time and All I Want Is You (both possible), Fast Cars (maybe?), Crumbs (improbable), and the full band WGRYWH (ha).

One thing that's interesting is the speculation U2 are having their stage shipped to Japan and they'll rehearse there. I frankly think that's completely wrong, but if it does prove true and the first show is somewhere other than Japan, then I think our chances for new material improve. Put it this way: why would you go to the expense of shipping the stage to Japan (even though you'll need to then ship it elsewhere for the first show) and only spend a couple of days rehearsing, picking up where you left off? You'd ship it there if you actually intend to stay there and rehearse for a decent amount of time and do a little more than just get back into the same old groove from earlier in the year. But like I said, I think this "rehearsal in Japan" speculation won't come true.

Axver said:

I agree with your thoughts - though I certainly hope we get a surprise, as unlikely as that may be. How long did the band spend rehearsing in Toronto, it was three days, wasn't it? We got Fast Cars, In A Little While, and Discotheque out of that one. Maybe we'll be lucky again this time. I'd just be happy if they brought back some of the lesser-played Vertigo songs, such as The Frst Time and All I Want Is You (both possible), Fast Cars (maybe?), Crumbs (improbable), and the full band WGRYWH (ha).

Difference with Toronto is they had only been off the road for over a month, not 7 to 8 months. So there is the difference. If the Japan deal is true I think the reason is because it was for some reason cheaper/available and logistically worked the best with all factors considered (how or why that would be I have no idea). I doubt it had anything to do with the band saying "We need to work on new songs" though. Typically those things happen due to cost and whats available. The other thing you have to remember is that the crew needs to get back into the swing of things also. As in setting up the stage and making sure everything works properly. From what I have heard some of the gear has to be substituted with new gear because the other stuff the rented before is not available now. Also, there may be some crew that cant make it for this leg because of other commitments. So you have to break in some new members also. Alot of factors involved with starting a large operation like this back up after this long off.

Blue Room said:

Difference with Toronto is they had only been off the road for over a month, not 7 to 8 months. So there is the difference. If the Japan deal is true I think the reason is because it was for some reason cheaper/available and logistically worked the best with all factors considered (how or why that would be I have no idea). I doubt it had anything to do with the band saying "We need to work on new songs" though. Typically those things happen due to cost and whats available. The other thing you have to remember is that the crew needs to get back into the swing of things also. As in setting up the stage and making sure everything works properly. From what I have heard some of the gear has to be substituted with new gear because the other stuff the rented before is not available now. Also, there may be some crew that cant make it for this leg because of other commitments. So you have to break in some new members also. Alot of factors involved with starting a large operation like this back up after this long off.

All good points. The Japan thing just strikes me as odd, though. I remember hearing that U2 have quite a bit of equipment stored in this part of the world (Sydney, Auckland) - maybe that's wrong, but if it's right and the rumours that the tour will restart in Australia are true, it just doesn't make sense to me to take all that equipment to Japan for rehearsal, only to bring it back to Australia for the tour, and then take it to Japan AGAIN for the shows there. A lot of expensive toing and froing. Maybe it does work out better for the band though. :shrug:

In any case, if the band spend a week or less in rehearsal, I don't think I'll be expecting much in the way of surprises, maybe just One Tree Hill or the return of the Boy material, but if they do a couple of weeks and make a point of going somewhere special, I'd have a little hope that we could get something new.

You know, this is bizarre, but I'm actually hoping the shows will have to start when it's too light to open with COBL, just because Vertigo opening improves the chances of Boy material.

Vertigo
I Will Follow
Elevation
Gloria
New Year's Day
Beautiful Day
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
City Of Blinding Lights
Miracle Drug
The First Time
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
Love And Peace Or Else
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Bullet The Blue Sky
Miss Sarajevo
Pride (In The Name Of Love)
Where The Streets Have No Name
One

Zoo Station
The Fly
Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
With Or Without You

All Because Of You
In God's Country
Yahweh
One Tree Hill

Last edited:
:|

Axver said:

And I intended that we use this thread for discussion, not just posting custom sets with little or no elaboration as to how it relates to the topic at hand.

Seriously, just make a thread for fifth leg setlist predictions/designs. This is a discussion thread. If you must post a custom set, at least explain how it is relevant to the discussion here.

I don't think the set is going to change much at all. The show from LAPOE to One will be the same. There probably won't be any new additions from Bomb to the live show. The return of Boy songs is very possible. Hopefull, the band will also reutrn Bad to the setlist. Other than that, I think that maybe the 5th leg will get One Tree Hill or Van Diemen's Land. If we're lucky, the band will put in a Pop encore with Mofo and Discotheque but don't count on it. Chances are higher that the Zoo encore will be back. As for the second encore, I'm really hoping that U2 pulls out Love is Blindness as the closer but besides that, nothing new will appear.

Songs that might return:

Stuck in a Moment - I think its a shoe-in
Miracle Drug - Given that Edge's daughter is well again, it would be appropriate.
Van Diemen's Land - a long shot but maybe
One Tree Hill - I'd say its in for the NZ shows

I'd say these songs will fit into the basic setlist from the end of the 4th leg with COBL opening & All I Want Is You closing.

bono_man said:
Songs that might return:

Miracle Drug - Given that Edge's daughter is well again, it would be appropriate.

I'd say these songs will fit into the basic setlist from the end of the 4th leg with COBL opening & All I Want Is You closing.

:up: I would agree with almost all of that. Not sure about Van Diemen's Land though. Except One Tree will either be acoustic or a long snippet at the end of another song.

theU2fly said in another thread something true - Achtung/Zooropa material could fight its way in with the release of the ZooTV DVD. Always to start we have One. Zoo Station and The Fly are essentially locks, too. Then we have this list of possible songs:

PLAYED ON VERTIGO TOUR

UTEOTW
WGRYWH
Mysterious Ways
Love is Blindness

NOT PLAYED, TINY HOPE

EBTTRT

I doubt Even Better makes an appearance, for if it had a shot I'd think they'd have played it already. Until the End should be played, and made frequent appearances of Leg 4, so I'd throw it in. Mysterious Ways, as much as I don't like it on this tour, is probably a good bet. LIB is probably out, as well as WGRYWH.

So:

One
Zoo Station
The Fly
UTEOTW
Mysterious Ways

Until the End will probably be in the four-or-five spot, One closing the main set, and the others will be back-to-back-to-back.

If they plan on playing some new stuff (OTH), it could cut some things, like ISHFWILF, out. Not that it would be a bad thing.

I still wonder how Boy material could fit in though. If they want to put IWF and Electric Co. in, we may lose Until the End of the World.

Maybe they should just play more songs! :hyper:

But I'm interested in seeing what others think about added Achtung/Zooropa material?

phillyfan26 said:
So:

One
Zoo Station
The Fly
UTEOTW
Mysterious Ways

That's what they were playing in South America. I don't think the DVD release will affect much, if anything at all.

Axver said:

That's what they were playing in South America. I don't think the DVD release will affect much, if anything at all.

Unfortunately, my rambling post did end up leading to nowhere. :shrug:

bono_man said:
Songs that might return:

Stuck - Yep this one's for sure
Miracle Drug - Very possible, atleast a few times
Van Diemen's Land - I doubt it, maybe as a snippet
One Tree Hill - also doubtfull, 20(!) years ago since Greg Caroll's death..
maybe as a longer snippet like in Oakland.
Electrical Storm - hopefully, if they spend more than 5 mins rehearsing it!!
Mofo - lot of talk about it in Love U2.. maybe just promotion for Mexico DVD ..or?

There will be new music featured at these shows. It's a gift for the audiences having to wait so long and they'll definitely have completed tracks by then. I'd put money on it.

Back
Top Bottom