Favorite version of Streets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Favorite Performance of Streets

• Joshua Tree/Rattle and Hum as the opening song

Votes: 23 20.5%
  • ZooTV

Votes: 24 21.4%
  • Popmart

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Elevation

Votes: 28 25.0%
  • Vertigo

Votes: 7 6.3%

• Total voters
Axver said:
OK, I can see the reply to my first comment coming, so ...

If this is meant to cover Lovetown, it doesn't do a very good job. Streets was played at 46 out of 47 Lovetown shows, but opened just 24 of them. Lovetown Streets is my favourite and my three favourite performances were either fifth or seventh in the setlist. As my favourite version was not the opener and was on a tour only alluded to but not named, I don't really think the poll leaves me much room to vote.

Also, on The Joshua Tree Tour, although Streets, when used, normally opened the show, there were some instances when it didn't.

I'm with Axver. Lovetown Streets is my favorite.

Joshua Tree/Rattle And Hum - A lot of passion and soul on the band's playing and in Bono's voice. Maybe the fact that it was the opening song added some kind of extra adrenaline to the song. Some really great versions from those tours.

Vertigo - That's right. I'm loving the Vertigo Tour version of Streets. One of the reasons is because Bono's voice is so good and powerful again and another is that great intro that he says at the beginning. I think it's beautiful and perfect for the song. Also the "What else are we gonna do" line instead of "It's all we can do" is REALLY powerful and works really well there. I CAN'T stop listening to the London version of this song (the show that was broadcasted). Larry is also adding some new stuff to it and making it even more interesting.

Popmart, even though Lovetown is a very close second. The outtro is just KILLER on Popmart. "Then-there-will-be/Then-there-will-be/Then-there-will-be," not to mention the transition from Please. :drool: :drool:

My actual favourite version of Streets is the one that features in the Rattle and Hum film (from Sun Devil Stadium, Arizona). Why? The keyboard intro swells up in the background as Larry, Edge and Adam walk onto the stage in silhouette. Then, just before Edge launches into the signature guitar part, he picks out a few gorgeous notes that chime perfectly with the backing track. It's hard to explain why, but these extra few notes just make the song for me. I've heard many live versions of Streets, but so far this is the best one - the only other intro that comes close is from a 1993 Dublin show, but even that isn't quite as good. It has some of the extra guitar notes, but not all of them.

Elevation: Slane

All I Want is You - OHHHHHHHH - Where The Streets Have No Name.

Perfect segue, for that particular show, its almost like he is calling to the Heavens for Bob.

I think the Vertigo versions are musically sound, but I find the tie in with Africa ruins it for me (much as I agree with Bono's sentiment, I believe Streets is a song which stands best on its own). Streets needs the blazing red background and subtle intro.

I was just thinking actually that the version from Popmart Mexico with the "Mexico Mexico Mexico" outro is wicked as well.

Can I throw out the Elevation version, post 9-11?

In particular Super Bowl Halftime. Beautiful Day into Streets with names scrolling, USA flag jacket. Tears from my eyes.

I love the Popmart version-best one visually and I liked the effect they put on the Edge's guitar also I've always felt Streets worked best with a good intro from another song. I kinda think the Vertigo version is weakest.

the poll machine said:

Joshua Tree/Rattle and Hum as the opening song : 19 21.59%
ZooTV : 15 17.05%
Popmart : 27 30.68%
Elevation : 23 26.14%
Vertigo : 4 4.55%

The stats after I voted for PopMart Streets.

Elevation just behind after all the crap that that tour seems to get these days?

PopMart is the best (IMO) because of the segue from Please :drool: , the added keyboard effects in the intro, the visuals, the manic ending that seemed to get faster and faster - WOW!

Elevation segues and Bono's 'blessing' - along with the fact that I thought Bono voice on the E tour was on top form - make it my second...

...with TJTT coming in a very close third even though I still get goosebumps when Larry taps his drumsticks and the keyboards slowly, magically begin.

Next is ZOO TV...hmmm...wait a minute! This is too f*ckin difficult!!!!

I love them ALL equally for their own individual merits!

Right, in first place PopMart (just) followed by in second place by Elevation, JTLT and ZOO :wink:

...but definitely Veritgo in last place - the worst performance of the song actually making it sound really ordinary with its lame segues (no imagination), no lights and non-event ending.

I hope the band rethink this track for 2006 and pay heed to the awe-inspiring Mexico PopMart version.

1. Joshua Tree: Red backdrop + lightning flashes of lighting + Bono quoting Wordsworth...

The old Man still stood talking by my side;
But now his voice to me was like a stream
Scarce heard; nor word from word could I divide;
And the whole body of the Man did seem
Like one whom I had met with in a dream

2. Popmart: extended, new outro, Edge's most goregous and beautiful guitar tone ever...MEXI-COLA!

3. ZooTV

corianderstem said:
This was really hard. The Zoo TV transition from the "heart of darkness" set into Streets is breathtaking and so amazing, but lately I've really been into the Elevation version, with the great transitions (All I Want is You and/or 40).

Geez, I voted for Elevation, but after typing the Zoo TV stuff, I think I want to change my vote. :wink:

Completely agree. IThe Bad into Streets transition gives me goose bumps, but its let down by poor vocals. The transition from 40 isnt as good but the vocals are better. RTSS transition on Zoo TV also awsome and Bonos voice is brilliant.

I love the intro in Popmart, but dont like the way it sang.

They have totally ruined it this tour with the africa crap. The energy has gone.

Too hard to decide!

Last edited:
I'm glad somebody brought this up. I was at the Hartford show the other night and it KILLS ME to say this, but Streets was one of the disappointments of the night. Where was the long keyboard intro/buildup??? And maybe it was just me, but I thought Edge's intro riff sounded muffled....I swear, I didn't even realize it was Streets being played. So bummed out!! It almost seemed like they played it just to get it out of the way.

Streets is my all-time favorite song in concert....any band, any concert, this song has always been my top choice. The Boston DVD version of this song is truly epic.

WalkOnTheEdge said:
...It almost seemed like they played it just to get it out of the way....

It's not the best performance of the track on this tour and I'm just wondering if they play it because they enjoy playing it or because they feel they have to?

If it ain't broke then don't fix it!
(ditto with BTBS)

Back
Top Bottom