Fan power?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2mixer

War Child
I love this picture on u2log...(rest of my post under the picture)

v3chicago.jpg

...is this anyone from this forum?

Bono reportedly played First Time after talking to a fan beforehand so I'm wondering does fan power acytually work?

Is it possible to 'nudge' the band into playing songs that maybe they haven't rehearsed for a long time?

Is it possible for fans to affect a setlist?

Do you think the band members notice fan's (like the Mofo fans above) requests and maybe think about pleasing their fan base - a sort of reciprocal respect for them?

Oh yeah absolutely I believe there is such a thing as fan power! The band has their usual setlist, the structured and planned set list, like a script for the show to go by, but they will change things up and improvise. I know one guy in Toronto who with his group of friends managed to bump into Bono and company outside the center and asked to hear a song which actually got played! Awesome to hear that the band listens to its fans. I wonder though about the snippets they are choosing to play....are these pre planned or does Bono improvise on those? I love this photo of fans asking for MOFO. I feel it coming, they will play it on this leg. I also do believe the band has respect for their fans. They are a class act. :yes:

im in that picture but bonos leg is blocking me :grumpy:

adam smiled at the mofo sign :drool:

That's a great photo. And if they play Mofo I'll be on the next plane outta the UK.

I agree with Carek1230, they have a standard setlist. But I think they also have standard oldies that can be dropped. Because they ignore some fantastic songs. Zooropa is neglected in favour of casual fan pleasers I feel. Especially on Popmart.

They play loads of gigs in the US. Have they got any lined up for South America or Australia? The US seems to get the best of them at the expense of other countries.

I think there is some truth to it. Here is the thing though. If a fan suggests a song that is pretty easy for the band to do with limited rehearsal (IE The First Time) and it appeals to Bono, it may get done. Songs like Mofo, Zooropa, etc.. would take some rehearsal before being played so that type of song is less likely if suggested. Anything is possible, but I dont think Mofo is on the radar screen at the moment with the band. Could change though. :shrug:

Blue Room said:
I dont think Mofo is on the radar screen at the moment with the band. Could change though. :shrug:

Well, they did run through it for 30-45 minutes in Toronto with Bono on vocals ... :shrug:

Axver said:

Well, they did run through it for 30-45 minutes in Toronto with Bono on vocals ... :shrug:

and obviously didnt feel it was working.......... :shrug:
Not saying it wont be done, I just dont think its a priority currently. They have also worked on Please, Crumbs and Electrical Storm on this tour and none of them have turned up. So because they thought about it, or tried it, means nothing really.

Last edited:
Blue Room said:

and didnt feel it was working.......... :shrug:
Not saying it wont be done, I just dont think its a priority currently. They have also worked on Please, Crumbs and Electrical Storm on this tour and none of them have turned up. So because they thought about it, or tried it, means nothing really.
How do you know that?

TheBrazilianFly said:

How do you know that?

Its well documented that they worked on the songs I mentioned back on the first leg and rehearsals for the Euro leg. None turned up. I'm not saying Mofo wont be done. I just dont think its super likely at the moment. Maybe the New York shows where there will be alot of variety and alot of time to work on new things. They worked on Mofo one time this tour for 30 to 45 minutes. That doesnt translate to its going to be played for sure based on U2's patterns and history.

Blue Room said:

Its well documented that they worked on the songs I mentioned back on the first leg and rehearsals for the Euro leg. None turned up. I'm not saying Mofo wont be done. I just dont think its super likely at the moment. Maybe the New York shows where there will be alot of variety and alot of time to work on new things. They worked on Mofo one time this tour for 30 to 45 minutes. That doesnt translate to its going to be played for sure based on U2's patterns and history.

Well, just because fans heard them work on it for 30-45 minutes doesn't mean that's all the time they spent on it, and from what I hear, it was a pretty fully-fledged version, which would require some commitment to programming it. After all, did ANYONE hear them rehearsing Miss Sarajevo? I know I never saw a word about it until it debuted in Amsterdam. So they could be rehearsing it quietly and most of us would be unawares.

In any case, I'm not expecting it to show up, but still hoping. The upcoming NYC stand will be very interesting.

Axver said:

Well, just because fans heard them work on it for 30-45 minutes doesn't mean that's all the time they spent on it, and from what I hear, it was a pretty fully-fledged version, which would require some commitment to programming it. After all, did ANYONE hear them rehearsing Miss Sarajevo? I know I never saw a word about it until it debuted in Amsterdam. So they could be rehearsing it quietly and most of us would be unawares.

In any case, I'm not expecting it to show up, but still hoping. The upcoming NYC stand will be very interesting.

Do we know for sure it was a full version? Reports I heard initially from fans that were there was they could only hear the keyboard base line seqeuncer for the most part. Which could mean the band themselves didnt even work on it. I think they did a little bit. I dont think they have worked on it since though, just a hunch and the fact that it hasnt turned up 3 shows later. One of which was a multiple night stand in a new market since it was worked on. Like I said, maybe New York. If its not done there I dont think it will be.

I hope its done, would be awesome as it was one of my suggestions for an encore at the beginning of the tour. Anyway, this thread has gone off topic. Putting it back on, the band even working on Mofo was on their own accord, not a fan suggestion. I would bet those fans would not have made that sign in the pic if they had not heard through the grapevine that the band may have worked on the song. :shrug:

Blue Room said:

Do we know for sure it was a full version? Reports I heard initially from fans that were there was they could only hear the keyboard base line seqeuncer for the most part. Which could mean the band themselves didnt even work on it. I think they did a little bit. I dont think they have worked on it since though, just a hunch and the fact that it hasnt turned up 3 shows later. One of which was a multiple night stand in a new market since it was worked on. Like I said, maybe New York. If its not done there I dont think it will be.

I hope its done, would be awesome as it was one of my suggestions for an encore at the beginning of the tour. Anyway, this thread has gone off topic. Putting it back on, the band even working on Mofo was on their own accord, not a fan suggestion. I would bet those fans would not have made that sign in the pic if they had not heard through the grapevine that the band may have worked on the song. :shrug:

Well, I believe a couple of the people there said that Bono was on vocals for the entire time. It'd help if one of them would post on this thread! I think someone like VintagePunk would know.

Though of course, even if it was the full band for a decent length of time, we both know that doesn't necessarily imply a song will be played - just look at Stuck In A Moment! I'm wondering if maybe this sign will spur them on to keep working on Mofo, though. Feedback like that may influence the band. I hope it does. There's a week-long break coming up, so they've some spare time ...

They will probebly be in New York that week off. Which translates to they will just relax and do nothing until its time for the shows. Plenty of soundcheck time though once the they get going with the shows.

Blue Room said:
They will probebly be in New York that week off. Which translates to they will just relax and do nothing until its time for the shows. Plenty of soundcheck time though once the they get going with the shows.

Why am I not shocked? :laugh:

To answer one of my own questions (having read the previous posts) maybe at times the band CAN be open to 'new ideas' or 'suggestions' from what fans think.

There's NO WAY they are going to play Acrobat no matter how many fans beg (cue the band's premier) and there's NO WAY fans are going to change a complete setlist (rehearsal time is a good point) but fans might just have a little influence here and there - especially at soundchecks and rehearsals.

I think 'listening' to what's going on in their fan base is a great thing and maybe, just maybe, that leads to a surprise now and again - eg 3 songs out of a full world tour isn't too much to ask.

BUT as long as the lunatics don't take over the asylum!
Imagine a whole tour ran by the fans!!!!
The concert I'd attend could be chosen by someone who loves ATYCLB!!!

Back
Top Bottom