Elevation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chizip

Blue Crack Addict
Do you think this song will become a staple and played on every tour from here on out? They seem to enjoy playing it and like the response they get fromt he crowd.

I shudder at the thought.

Chizip said:
Do you think this song will become a staple and played on every tour from here on out? They seem to enjoy playing it and like the response they get fromt he crowd.

I shudder at the thought.

I really prefer the Elevation Tour version of it myself with the trippy intro and the woo hoo's in the beginning.

But Elevation is definitely a classic any way you slice it.

10-4rubberduck said:
Everyone should signal to the band, that they have a pair of earplugs during Elevation. To signal that the song sucks and that it should be removed from future setlists :up:

corianderstem said:
Me too. I have to admit I'm baffled by the negative reactions it gets around here.

Yeah, so am I. As an album song, I think it's pretty worthless and probably of only b-side calibre. But live, it's a heap of fun and I quite enjoy hearing it. It's like Party Girl for me - not a good song per se, but a nice bit of live fun.

As far as its future goes, I doubt it will always be a permanent staple, but I can see it being played fairly regularly. I can see it being done with the frequency a song like MW or UTEOTW was done this tour.

its not the worst song ever, but there are probably 100 songs id rather hear live before it

Elevation is played live because its a great way to get everyone jumping in the stadium. There may be people on this forum who would prefer a rare live song to be played instead of Elevation taking up its place but I couldn't see Acrobat, Mofo, <insert favourite song that never gets played> etc being such a hit..will be met by blank stared faces. Apart from the hardcore fans wetting themselves. :wink:

Although you could make a case that a current album song could be better used, but still its the fun that Axver referred to that I see the reason of U2 playing Elevation throughout the Vertigo tour.

Last edited:
I think it's a very sexy song and I understand why the play it, I especially enjoy the current version with all the teasing, I think it's a great song to be performed live and a lot of fun.

u2 can do no wrong with that song. They have done 2 succesful live versions.

Vertigo Version of it is fuckin awesome . For some reason the 2001 version of it never really get me , but this one , it's awesome , it seems like the whole band sounds better

off topic, but how did this song make it on the u2:18 release? horrible...

it's a good song, but isn't that good to be played at every show. still, it's got a lot of energy and when actually in the audience, it's cool to hear

It´s a crap song and I hope it´ll never be played after this tour.

Doubtful, I know.

Tomb Raider mix or bust for future tours. Maybe leave it for a first encore opener. Elevation - Beautiful Day - some other ATYCLB song like they did this tour with Achtung Baby.

i was surprised to see it make the setlist for vertigo, but i was equally surprised that they reworked it and took the crowd participation on it to a new level.

obviously many songs i'd rather hear, but it did get some new life breathed into it on this past tour, and i wouldn't be crushed if they brought it back again.

i'd actually prefer it to a return of beautiful day and/or vertigo.

I think Elevation live is a million times better than the album version. I don't see it being played at every future show but it is a big enough hit to be played fairly ofter. I don't mind. I think it's a good song and one of their biggest hits of the 2000s.

On a side note, 400th post!

I'm no fan of the song. Not on the album, certainly not the Tomb Raider mix, and live on DVD/bootlegs it comes across kinda dull. I can't deny though that the crowd at the two Sydney concerts I went to lapped it up. It went over really, really well, and . . . . . . . . . I enjoyed it. So the selfish me says that I don't mind being in the crowd for it, but I'll forever be skipping straight past it on CD, DVD etc.

Its an alright song. Its 30 times better live obviously and it gets one of the biggest reactions from the crowd. :shrug:

One of my co workers likes U2 but is not a huge fan like we are here. I got him tickets to the first Detroit Vertigo show which was his first U2 show. He was blown away. His highlights? Streets and that song that goes "whooo, hooo" as he put it. Not kidding. It just gets the crowd into the show. I just dont see that as a bad thing, ever. Sure, I would rather hear other things. But to the casual fan and most of the audience the song just rocks. So I dont mind it.

Back
Top Bottom