Electrical storm and ATYCLB songs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2girl

Blue Crack Addict
Does anyone know (Axver?) when the last time was U2 only played two songs from the album before the newest one, and that they skipped playing a single?

Axver would probabley know, but hes PCless in Boston.

No songs from Zooropa surived to PopMart....
I think they only played three Rattle And Hum Songs on Zoo TV....

Pop wasn't very represented on the Elevation Tour either

There were no songs they played at every show like they are with Elevation and Beautiful Day

They played Discotheque a few times at the beginning then ditched it. They played Gone every now and then, same with Staring at the Sun. They played Wakeu Up Dead Man a few Times and Please a few times at the end. But those were all just scattered, nothing permanently on the setlist like the 2 ATYCLB songs.

Also the Edge said they've been working on Electrical Storm and we should eexpect to see it by the time they get back to the US, so that will be nice.

Chizip said:
Also the Edge said they've been working on Electrical Storm and we should eexpect to see it by the time they get back to the US, so that will be nice.

At least Bono Didnt say it :up:, would be very nice.

Well, Another Day wasn't played on the Boy tour, Miss Sarajevo was played once on Popmart on the 2nd leg. 1-2 Pop songs were played max at the same elevation shows, but not all Elevation shows had Pop songs.

Ok maybe "wasn't very represented" wasn't the best wording

Pop songs didnt make up a large part of the setlist every night

They would only make up 1 to 2 songs max for each show, some had none

ATYCLB is getting just as much (or more) "airplay" during the Vertigo tour as Pop did during the Elevation Tour. They are just using the same 2 songs every night rather than scattering the 5 songs around.

And its only been one leg so far, they didnt add Please or Wake Up Dead Man to the later shows of Elevation. Please was just in the very last few. And discotheque was only used for the first very few concerts.

Last edited:
Do you not understand or not agree with something?

Also, they tried out the sweetest thing for a few shows on Elevation then dropped it completely. So I guess this time instead of playing the single early and dropping it they are working on it so they can play it well and keep it in the setlist, we shall see.

Chizip said:
Ok maybe "wasn't very represented" wasn't the best wording

Pop songs didnt make up a large part of the setlist every night

They would only make up 1 to 2 songs max for each show, some had none

ATYCLB is getting just as much (or more) "airplay" during the Vertigo tour as Pop did during the Elevation Tour. They are just using the same 2 songs every night rather than scattering the 5 songs around.

And its only been one leg so far, they didnt add Please or Wake Up Dead Man to the later shows of Elevation. Please was just in the very last few. And discotheque was only used for the first very few concerts.

Please was played at the 10-19-01 Baltimore show for the first time on Elevation which was one week into the third leg and was played pretty much at most shows for the remainder of that leg. So it was fairly prevelant. Also, Gone and Discotheque were pretty much staples for the first leg "standard" one night setlist and part of the 2nd leg. I think POP was fairly well represented on Elevation. I was surprised actually how much of it they did for that tour.

I'm surprised that Gone hasnt seen some rotation for Vertigo though. That is the only POP song I can see making the cut for this tour. Please may appear at some point on Vertigo also, could rotate in with the political song section.

Blue Room said:

Gone and Discotheque were pretty much staples for the first leg "standard" one night setlist and part of the 2nd leg.

Not really. Discotheque had pretty much disappeared within about 4 weeks into the first leg of the tour(even then it was a medly with Staring at the Sun and often substituted for EBTTRT.

ImOuttaControl said:

Not really. Discotheque had pretty much disappeared within about 4 weeks into the first leg of the tour(even then it was a medly with Staring at the Sun and often substituted for EBTTRT.

Ok, you are sort of right about Discotheque, it disappeared for a few weeks, then came back for a week or two and then disappeared again on the first leg. You are incorrect on Even Better though, it was only played a handful of times on the entire tour. Discotheque was played twice as much as that if not more.

Blue Room said:

Ok, you are sort of right about Discotheque, it disappeared for a few weeks, then came back for a week or two and then disappeared again on the first leg. You are incorrect on Even Better though, it was only played a handful of times on the entire tour. Discotheque was played twice as much as that if not more.

yeah the way I wrote it you're right. I meant to say that EBTTRT was basically the alternate for Discotheque/Staring at the Sun early in the tour before they quit playing either song on a regular basis.

Chizip said:
Do you not understand or not agree with something?

Also, they tried out the sweetest thing for a few shows on Elevation then dropped it completely. So I guess this time instead of playing the single early and dropping it they are working on it so they can play it well and keep it in the setlist, we shall see.

I don't agree playing 2 songs all the time is equal or better airplay than getting 5 songs over the whole tour.

(though I agree, only the first leg just finished so maybe more ATYCLB songs and Electrical storm will come)

Last edited:
But what if they played 5 pop songs, but only each song once over the whole tour. Would you say that Pop would have better represented because of the varierty even if only 5 concerts over the whole tour got a Pop song?

I went and checked the setlists from Elevation and there are a lot of shows that had 0 Pop songs in the setlist. Most of them had 1, and a handful had 2.

If you go to a show on the Vertigo tour there is a great chance you'd hear more songs from ATYCLB than a person going to the Elevation tour would hear from Pop.

2 songs off ATYCLB were played so far as opposed to 4 Pop songs that were played on leg 1 of Elevation tour.

But ok, it's better.

Vertigo had two ATYCLB songs each night, guaranteed.

Elevation had two Pop songs max each night but often just one or none at all. So on the whole, you were much less likely to see a performance of a Pop song on any given Elevation show than an ATYCLB song on the Vertigo tour.

Also bear in mind that the first leg of Elevation was nearly twice as long as the first leg of Vertigo.

If you still don't get it, just give up and assume we're right.

It looks like you don't get it.

This tour has LESS ATYCLB songs that Elevation had of Pop songs. It's not about frequency of playing, but quantity.

Last edited:
U2girl said:
It looks like you don't get it.

This tour has LESS ATYCLB songs that Elevation had of Pop songs. It's not about frequency of playing, but quantity.

I understand what U2Girl is saying. Bassically, at this point in the tour of Elevation, U2 had done around 4-5 different Pop songs. At this point on Vertigo, we've only seen 2 songs appear. Well, 3, if you count Stuck at the dress rehearsal. She doesn't mean songs from previous album per night, she means songs from the previous album in total.

Back
Top Bottom