Electric Co out, Mysterious Ways in = crap

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
U2girl said:
People started sounding off because they changed the encore, not because First time got moved.

Nice selective memory of history. This is the 'changed' encore of 2005-09-20, Chicago:

Discotheque
The Fly
With Or Without You
All Because Of You
The First Time
Bad

People were ecstatic that The First Time debuted, that Discotheque made a second appearance, and that Bad closed. This 'changed' encore met with approval.

The next night had:

Bad (inc. The First Time sung in full)
Original Of The Species
With Or Without You
Fast Cars
All Because Of You

There were some complaints about the encore being a bit slow but in general, the variety was greeted positively, especially the third leg debut of OOTS and the first US appearance of Fast Cars.

Both 'new' encores had a generally positive reception. There was no "sounding off" because U2 changed the encores.

But then did The First Time move to the opening slot of the encore and that was initially greeted with confusion. People argued that this was totally the wrong song to open an encore with. They "sounded off" about setlist placement. No-one complained about variety. They felt that opening the encore with a soft acoustic song did not suit the atmosphere of a rock concert.

So before you go tarring and feathering other fans, take the time to listen to their case instead of just portraying it in whatever light suits you.

Well, tough. Fans wanted variety, band brought in a new encore - band gets ripped. How's that for lame?

I would like to point out that bad variety is worse than no variety at all. I bet you'd rip on the band if the new encore consisted solely of Avril Lavigne covers or Bono and Edge harmonising the D section of the phone book.

And even if more people on here like RTSS more than Miss Sarajevo, or if some people think Miracle Drug being dropped is a mistake, thats not "ripping the band," that's just giving an opinion. If we all agreed that everything U2 did was perfect, then this place would be damn boring.

U2girl said:
You know what the stadium setlists are like, and Dublin III is hardly the representative setlist for European leg.

Yes, I do, which is why I said "and the sets preceding it that leg". Please don't selectively read.

To refresh your memory:
- It appeared as if WGRYWH and AIWIY were going to alternate.
- It appeared as if WOWY and MW were going to alternate.
- ABOY was played second at two shows and missed two.
- The first three concerts of the tour had a different song each time at position number two (UTEOTW, BD, IWF).

Then look at how totally messed up Dublin III is ... and then check out Amsterdam III. The variety essentially stopped after a few weeks of good work. Remarkably, OOTS made the set three times after Dublin III.

Did you not read the "Miracle drug not being played? Mistale" thread in this forum"?

Last I checked, currently only two people have supported that viewpoint: lazarus and Chizip. Don't take thread titles to be indicative of general opinion. The setlist party was overwhelmingly positive towards this variation.

Operatic portion did get praise, majority preferred Running to stand still. Reports of energy level drop in the audience. Selective reading indeed.

Reports of energy level dropping have come from a handful of shows at most. I have mainly witnessed people being positive towards Miss Sarajevo, not this "RTSS is better" attitude you describe. I think you've been selectively reading, and you've definitely been selectively remembering.

Yes, great idea to have First time in between the uptempo Boy song and Beautiful day

The First Time would kill the tempo but The Ocean, ACD/ITH, ISHFWILF, and acoustic Walk On and WGRYWH didn't? I don't see what would be wrong with this:

The Electric Co.
The Ocean
The First Time
Beautiful Day

or break the link between MD and Sometimes.

Is that what I said? No. I said around that combo. How about The First Time leading into Miracle Drug? Or put it after SYCMIOYO in the spot Yahweh and Stuck have held on rare occasions.

Just possibilities.

Chizip said:
And even if more people on here like RTSS more than Miss Sarajevo, or if some people think Miracle Drug being dropped is a mistake, thats not "ripping the band," that's just giving an opinion. If we all agreed that everything U2 did was perfect, then this place would be damn boring.

Chizip, you've forgotten that opinions are only allowed to be positive.

As soon as you say anything negative, you hate U2 and are an unreasonable hypocrite of a fan.

Axver said:

Nice selective memory of history. This is the 'changed' encore of 2005-09-20, Chicago:

Discotheque
The Fly
With Or Without You
All Because Of You
The First Time
Bad

People were ecstatic that The First Time debuted, that Discotheque made a second appearance, and that Bad closed. This 'changed' encore met with approval.

The next night had:

Bad (inc. The First Time sung in full)
Original Of The Species
With Or Without You
Fast Cars
All Because Of You

There were some complaints about the encore being a bit slow but in general, the variety was greeted positively, especially the third leg debut of OOTS and the first US appearance of Fast Cars.

Both 'new' encores had a generally positive reception. There was no "sounding off" because U2 changed the encores.

But then did The First Time move to the opening slot of the encore and that was initially greeted with confusion. People argued that this was totally the wrong song to open an encore with. They "sounded off" about setlist placement. No-one complained about variety. They felt that opening the encore with a soft acoustic song did not suit the atmosphere of a rock concert.

So before you go tarring and feathering other fans, take the time to listen to their case instead of just portraying it in whatever light suits you.

I would like to point out that bad variety is worse than no variety at all. I bet you'd rip on the band if the new encore consisted solely of Avril Lavigne covers or Bono and Edge harmonising the D section of the phone book.

Doh.
Fans minded First time when it got to the first spot in the encore, especially when joined by Who's gonna ride... (acoustic versions suck), and later by Stuck and Walk on.

No one minded it before they got the new encore. (I guess variety meant "don't cut out AB songs")

If you like things U2 are doing U2girl, why don't you give your opinions on why you like what U2 did. It seems like you'd rather bash U2 fans than praise U2.

U2girl said:
Fans minded First time when it got to the first spot in the encore, especially when joined by Who's gonna ride... (acoustic versions suck), and later by Stuck and Walk on.

They didn't mind The First Time!!

Can I make that any clearer? No-one "minds" The First Time - I have not seen one single person unhappy that it is being played.

The complaints are based solely around SETLIST PLACEMENT. The problem entirely rests with the fact the band started the encore with something soft and subtle that didn't suit the atmosphere, rather than something rocking and exciting.

(I guess variety meant "don't cut out AB songs")

... no. I don't recall "where oh where is Zoo Station?" whining when Discotheque took its spot for two shows, or whining today when UTEOTW took Zoo Station's spot.

And before you say anything about the nineties, I bet if God Part II or Like A Song or 11 O'clock Tick Tock took Zoo Station's spot, there wouldn't be serious bitching. A few people who don't like the songs? Of course, but that happens with anything the band plays. But I'm sure most reactions would be very positive.

Axver said:

Yes, I do, which is why I said "and the sets preceding it that leg". Please don't selectively read.

To refresh your memory:
- It appeared as if WGRYWH and AIWIY were going to alternate.
- It appeared as if WOWY and MW were going to alternate.
- ABOY was played second at two shows and missed two.
- The first three concerts of the tour had a different song each time at position number two (UTEOTW, BD, IWF).

Then look at how totally messed up Dublin III is ... and then check out Amsterdam III. The variety essentially stopped after a few weeks of good work. Remarkably, OOTS made the set three times after Dublin III.

-Stadium shows - less variety. Nothing new in U2's touring. -

Last I checked, currently only two people have supported that viewpoint: lazarus and Chizip. Don't take thread titles to be indicative of general opinion. The setlist party was overwhelmingly positive towards this variation.

- Oh I'm sure there will be more in that thread soon. -

Reports of energy level dropping have come from a handful of shows at most. I have mainly witnessed people being positive towards Miss Sarajevo, not this "RTSS is better" attitude you describe. I think you've been selectively reading, and you've definitely been selectively remembering.

-Just saying what I read, especially US shows. Believe what you want. -

The First Time would kill the tempo but The Ocean, ACD/ITH, ISHFWILF, and acoustic Walk On and WGRYWH didn't? I don't see what would be wrong with this:

The Electric Co.
The Ocean
The First Time
Beautiful Day

- Ocean, ACD/ITH did kill the tempo. I still haven't found... not so much. Walk on and Who's gonna ride are played around other acoustic songs, so any "slowing" is not as noticable as if they had been around full band songs.
I think it would be a shame to put the Ocean and First time in between two up tempo songs.-

Is that what I said? No. I said around that combo. How about The First Time leading into Miracle Drug? Or put it after SYCMIOYO in the spot Yahweh and Stuck have held on rare occasions.

-I think it fits better where it is. -

Just possibilities.

Last edited:
Axver said:

They didn't mind The First Time!!

Can I make that any clearer? No-one "minds" The First Time - I have not seen one single person unhappy that it is being played.

The complaints are based solely around SETLIST PLACEMENT. The problem entirely rests with the fact the band started the encore with something soft and subtle that didn't suit the atmosphere, rather than something rocking and exciting.

EXACTLY. It was fine until the untouchable Zoo TV encore was replaced.

... no. I don't recall "where oh where is Zoo Station?" whining when Discotheque took its spot for two shows, or whining today when UTEOTW took Zoo Station's spot.

Two shows. If it went on any longer, there would slowly, but surely be more "get Zoo TV encore back" voices. UTEOTW is self explanatory.

And before you say anything about the nineties, I bet if God Part II or Like A Song or 11 O'clock Tick Tock took Zoo Station's spot, there wouldn't be serious bitching. A few people who don't like the songs? Of course, but that happens with anything the band plays. But I'm sure most reactions would be very positive.

Exactly how likely is anything but the big trio from Rattle and Hum and anything more from pre-JT time? MW replacing Electric co went over really well...

Last edited:
Chizip said:

There is a difference in saying "I'd rather see this song played" than the more common "stupid choice", "they're idiots for doing this" etc

Stadium shows - less variety. Nothing new in U2's touring.

You completely missed my point. It just went a thousand miles to your left and is currently adjusting its course so that it may pass over the Arctic in a few hours.

Oh I'm sure there will be more in that thread soon.

I bet if I made a thread arguing the complete opposite of lazarus's case, it'd get people supporting it.

So what's your point? A few people posting on a thread to agree with the initial premise rarely proves a thing about general acceptance of the premise.

Just saying what I read, especially US shows. Believe what you want.

"Believe what I want"? I'm just saying that what you claim people have said has not actually been stated nearly as widely as you imply and you are citing examples from a handful of concerts.

Ocean, ACD/ITH did kill the tempo. I still haven't found... not so much. Walk on and Who's gonna ride are played around other acoustic songs, so any "slowing" is not as noticable as if they had been around full band songs.

Walk On and WGRYWH were first played after The Ocean. See 2005-09-20 and 2005-09-21. I agree Ocean kinda kills the tempo, though I think this would be less pronounced if it followed 11 O'clock Tick Tock. Disagree on ACD/ITH.

I think it would be a shame to put the Ocean and First time in between two up tempo songs.

I think an early breather can be useful. And U2 aren't young men any more. At least seguing into The Ocean makes the change in tempo less jarring than NYD --> Stuck on Elevation.

Originally posted by U2girl
It was fine until the untouchable Zoo TV encore was replaced.

This has nothing to do with the fact the encore was a ZooTV one!! Note the TOTAL change in tempo. THAT is the core issue of the matter, replacing rocking songs with soft, slow acoustic numbers.

Two shows. If it went on any longer, there would slowly, but surely be more "get Zoo TV encore back" voices.

You don't seriously believe this, do you? Because the same people who are very open in their support for the ZooTV encore were very open in their admiration of Discotheque and are calling for it to return.

Exactly how likely is anything but the big trio from Rattle and Hum and anything more from pre-JT time?

Exactly how likely is The Electric Co.? Exactly how likely is Gloria? Exactly how likely are Miss Sarajevo, The First Time, The Ocean, 40, Running To Stand Still, Zoo Station ...?

Axver said:

This has nothing to do with the fact the encore was a ZooTV one!! Note the TOTAL change in tempo. THAT is the core issue of the matter, replacing rocking songs with soft, slow acoustic numbers.

Yes, that is why the overwhelming response was we want "Zoo TV encore back" and not "we want ANY rocking song back". I think your "setlist placement" and my "encore change" are one and the same thing. :shrug:

You don't seriously believe this, do you? Because the same people who are very open in their support for the ZooTV encore were very open in their admiration of Discotheque and are calling for it to return.

If nothing else, people would ask for alternation of the alleged Mofo-Discotheque and Zoo TV encore. Note the difference between that and the current acoustic encore response.

Exactly how likely is The Electric Co.? Exactly how likely is Gloria? Exactly how likely are Miss Sarajevo, The First Time, The Ocean, 40, Running To Stand Still, Zoo Station ...?

All of those were a part of the tour from day 1 except Miss Sarajevo and First time. Was there anything apart from the trio even rehearsed from Rattle and Hum? Or Like a song or 11 O clock tick tock?

Axver said:

Walk On and WGRYWH were first played after The Ocean. See 2005-09-20 and 2005-09-21.

Yes, both were moved into the acoustic encore later. I guess the band think they don't work in the main set.

I think an early breather can be useful. And U2 aren't young men any more. At least seguing into The Ocean makes the change in tempo less jarring than NYD --> Stuck on Elevation.

Well, I gues Sometimes/I still haven't found... are breathers - a break between the Boy/Bomb/ATYLCB start and War trio.

Chizip said:
If you like things U2 are doing U2girl, why don't you give your opinions on why you like what U2 did. It seems like you'd rather bash U2 fans than praise U2.

When did I bash U2 fans? I was just saying what the fans said of the setlist choices.

Before you even begin preaching others not to bash, try it out yourself.

Back
Top Bottom