Droppable Songs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nicholsfornixon

The Fly
So I think the topic of undroppable songs has been thoroughly discussed. But what about the songs that are regular staples of the band's setlists that you would rather see them drop and replace with something better?

Personally, I could really do without Bullet the Blue Sky, New Year's Day, and Until the End of the World. I like all of those songs, but I would rather hear other songs. I would particularly like to see the band drop Bullet. I like the song OK, but I've never really understand why the band plays it at EVERY show. They must just really like to play it.

no New Year's Day!? blasphemy!

I think UTEOTW could be done a little less regularly.

Everything off of ATYCLB.
Miracle Drug
Yahweh
One Step Closer
A Man And A Woman

the rest is ok with me.

nicholsfornixon said:
I like the song OK, but I've never really understand why the band plays it at EVERY show. They must just really like to play it.

I heard it's Paul M's favorite u2 live song. Anyone know if this is true? I agree with what you said. I want to hear Bullet, but not at EVERY show.

Other songs I think to add to that "not all the time" list is Mysterious Ways

The Fly, UTEOTW, and NYD can be played twice a night and I wouln't mind :wink:

Keep Streets and toss everything else from Elevation for this tour. Imagine UF, RTSS, Ultraviolet, Lemon, MLK, Exit, God Part II, Please, etc...

With or Without You, Bullet, New Years Day, Sunday, Pride, Bad, Mysterious Ways, Until the End of the World, Angel of Harlem, Desire (unless they brought back the ZooTV version), Please, Staring at the Sun, I Will Follow... that would be a good start.

I wouldn't mind seeing Elevation again, but it could (and probably will) go.

I'd actually like to see Kite and Beautiful Day, but in different positions.

I agree that they can drop pretty much everything from All That You Can't Leave Behind. Elevation is a good song, but Vertigo seems like it is what Elevation was SUPPOSED to be. I say keep Beautiful Day as the song that opens their encore and then occasionally rotate in one of the forgotten gems off of that album. Maybe every other show they could play In a Little While or Wild Honey. That's it.

Some of the Pop songs seem like they would be good live, but I personally don't love any songs off that album. It wouldn't break my heart if they didn't play any of the Pop songs.

Zooropa is by far U2's most underappreciated album. There are a number of songs I would like to hear live from that album. Unfortunately, there will only be one song from Zooropa played live and that song is Stay. In a perfect world they could occasionally replace Stay with Lemon, Numb, or the Wanderer.

I love Achtung Baby. Love everything about it. If I could choose the AB songs I wanted to hear live, though, I would pick Zoo Station, Even Better Than the Real Thing, One, and Mysterious Ways. I don't much care about Until the End of the World.

Rattle and Hum has some really great songs, but none that I'm really dying to see live, with the exception of Desire. That song is absolutely fantastic. Unfortunately, the version of Desire the band kept trotting out during the elevation tour was, well, boring. I agree with the previous comment--I only want to see the ZooTV version of Desire. I suppose All I Want is You would be pretty amazing live.

I think this tour would be perfect for U2 to bring back some of their old rock and roll greats from the 80s. After all, the new album is all about U2 rediscovering its rock roots. What better way to underscore that than to bring back the Unforgettable Fire, 40, Two Hearts Beat as One, Gloria, Running to Stand Still, etc?

first post -
I hope they skip "A Man and a Woman" - my least favorite track from HTDAAB - I could see them doing on the b stage, just edge and Bono - I think they just scrap that idea altogether.

I wouldnt mind seeing Bullet the Blue Sky dropped and also Pride and With Or Without You can go too as far as im concerned they dont have to be dropped every show but they also dont have to be played every show....I think Until The End Of The World should stay it is really a great live moment.

Get rid of Bullet the Blue Sky, Elevation, With or Without You, New Year's Day and replace them with songs like Running to Stand Still, Acrobat, Ultraviolet and Zooropa. They would never do that though, gotta play the big ones.

I've never been able to experience Bullet live unfortunately, and I hope it isn't dropped because it seems like an integral part of the experience.

nicholsfornixon said:
So I think the topic of undroppable songs has been thoroughly discussed. But what about the songs that are regular staples of the band's setlists that you would rather see them drop and replace with something better?

Personally, I could really do without Bullet the Blue Sky, New Year's Day, and Until the End of the World. I like all of those songs, but I would rather hear other songs. I would particularly like to see the band drop Bullet. I like the song OK, but I've never really understand why the band plays it at EVERY show. They must just really like to play it.

You are out of your tree if you suggest them dropping these songs! GAH! :madspit:

I really hope they don't exclude WOWY, The Fly, WTSHNN on this tour.

I can't believe people are talking about dropping bullet the blue sky when it's such a powerful song live and i must admit to never tiring of it.I also enjoy elevation too but can't see how they could work it in to the live set unless it's an opener which on this tour surely must be vertigo

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!
What do you want to hear, piece of shit called Trip through you wires, Elvis Presley and America, Scarlet.....

Let's see:
STREETS-no way, best song
WOWY-essential song
NYD-look above
Bullet-lifts the atmosphere
UNTIL-lookl above
Pride-i know that bono can't sing, but it's great song
THE FLY-from elevation tour is the best!!!

NO WAY, THOSE CAN NOT BE DROPPED.
:madspit:

Am I the only hardcore U2 fan who thinks that POP and All That You Can't Leave Behind prety much sucked? I don't need to hear ANYTHING off those albums. I'm not some geezer who's stuck in the past either; I like the new album--their best since Achtung Baby. If I could hear some songs that they generally don't play, it would include the following: Dirty Day, So Cruel, Red Hill Mining Town (F what Bono says about not being able to hit the notes--that's what he gets paid to do), and Walk to the Water.
Ditching New Year's Day, Where the Streets Have No Name, and Desire would be just fine with me.
Bad is awesome and should stay, as should Pride and With or Without You and I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For. We need some of the crowd pleasers

Pero said:
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!
What do you want to hear, piece of shit called Trip through you wires, Elvis Presley and America, Scarlet.....

Let's see:
STREETS-no way, best song
WOWY-essential song
NYD-look above
Bullet-lifts the atmosphere
UNTIL-lookl above
Pride-i know that bono can't sing, but it's great song
THE FLY-from elevation tour is the best!!!

NO WAY, THOSE CAN NOT BE DROPPED.
:madspit:

I'm with you (except you called Trip a piece of shit...blasphemy! it's a great song.) the prospect of dropping WOWY and Streets makes me queasy. Would love to hear One Tree Hill but think it would destroy Bono's voice for the rest of the show. It's a tough song, like Red Hill Mining...

:lol: and so it begins even before the band starts rehearsals. Anything is droppable with the possible exception of Streets and probebly One. If someone suggests "x" song, someone else is bound to say your nuts. U2 will decide what they want to play. Everyone has different tastes and have seen varying amounts of shows. Those that have seen them many times will want to drop alot of the standards. Those that have not will be aghast if those are dropped. U2 cant win either way with that.

I've seen many shows so I wouldnt mind seeing Until The End Of The World, Bullet The Blue Sky, Pride, New Years Day and Sunday Bloody Sunday dropped. Of course if they play them it wont kill me but having seen them done multiple times they just dont have the same energy as they used to for me.

If they DO play Bullet, at least play Running To Stand Still after it. Now that would be an awesome combo again.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom