does New Year's Day just seem ackward?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikal

Blue Crack Addict
don't get me wrong. i love the song, but if just seems like NYD really hasn't found a home yet this tour.

it should be interesting to see if or where it fits in during the Chicago shows.

It sounds fine to me but still I think they should drop it for the filming and have Gloria instead. I mean we already have many other versions of NYD, why another one when we can have something else that they are playing again after so long.

Yeah I agree....NYD sounds fine but Gloria or something might be better. This is one of those things where both are great and I would love to hear live, but it's just little changes.

NYD sounds more vintage this time around, but Bono's vocals aren't as 'up there' as they were back in the WAR/UF/JT tours... kinda tears away from the feel.

Amazingly, they seem to nail NYD damn near every time out, on every tour.

You may quibble a tad over Bono's voice and whether it's as strong and high as in vintage years, but live and on tape, I can't think of another song that U2 has performed as consistently well in their entire catalog.

I'd love for them to give it a rest, but the crowd eats it up, and I think the band likes having that guarantee in the lineup.

New Years Day was one of the highlights of the second Vancouver show. Unlike BTBS or even Pride, it just never seems to get stale.

At a recent gig, Bono dubbed "New Year's Day" as belonging to Adam, so it might be staying a bit.

The crowd at LA2 went nuts for it, which I think prompted Adam to make a walkabout during it. (From reviews from gigs prior to LA2, he'd only made a trip around the ellipse during "Streets."

I do enjoy watching Edge's triple duty as guitarist, keyboardist, and backing vocals, though.

Gloria and NYD on the DVD :drool:

This song has definitely transformed into an Adam showcase on this tour, and it rocks hard.

nyd.jpg

(for those who haven't seen it in another thread)

I would love to see October before it, though... but that is just a whimsical dream at this point.

Not really awkward, but it's one of my stretch-and-flex-my-sore-muscles-from-standing-in-the-GA-line songs. :wink:

I thought New Years Day was one of the highlights of the Chicago show. Sounded pretty fresh. It seems to be the song that starts getting the crowd connected with the band.

as long as the crowd goes berserk on the first few bass notes..i dont see it going anywhere...

trouble is..night by night most people in the crowd havent watch RH, ZOOTV from sydney, Popmart from mexico and Elevation Boston hundreds of times like us.

so they are not tired ofr it...

same goes for SBS
BTBS &
pride

Back
Top Bottom