Do you think they should stop playing Bullet?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Do you think they should stop playing Bullet?

• Yes!

Votes: 47 58.8%
  • No!

Votes: 33 41.3%

• Total voters

TheBrazilianFly

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
I think most of the people will say yes but I’m saying no. The reason why I don’t think Bullet should go is because they don’t have any other song like it to put on their set list. They Fly, The Electric Co, Until The End Of The World, Love And Peace Or Else are all very rock n’ roll but still not in the same way as Bullet. Streets for example, while it just might be (or once was) the best live U2 song, it has that classic U2 sound, there are other songs in their repertoire with that same kind of sound, like Pride, Bad, Ultraviolet, Beautiful Day among others. Bullet The Blue Sky even after all this years, and all the albums they have made, remains unique and still quite an amazing moment during the show. No one is expecting that explosion of sound, that slide riff, that solo, that whole bass and drums groove, plus it’s a real dramatic and honest moment without being cheesy…. I think the show could suffer if they stopped playing it and didn’t find something to substitute it (which I think they would be able to as they always comeback with something new and different every tour). That said, even though I don’t want it to go I wouldn’t feel bad if they gave the song a rest, most of their standard songs are needing some time to give space for other songs and for us to breathe a little so they can comeback fresh again. What do you think?

Bullet has to go. It's not a hit and it hasn't missed a single tour since 1987. It's starting to get stale, and I really don't see how many more ways it can be re-invented. It's never going to hit the heights it hit on ZooTV anyway.

A song like Exit, God Part II, or Acrobat would be far better.

I really thought Love and Peace or Else was going to take its place this tour, Im surprised they played both

They could easily replace it with Please.

It definitely needs to go, and yes, this tour it got cheesy with the blind fold and bono on his knees.

No, it's unique in their catalogue, a fantastic live song and, most of all, the band obviously wants to play it at every gig.

Pride should go first.

Chizip said:
I really thought Love and Peace or Else was going to take its place this tour, Im surprised they played both

They could easily replace it with Please.

It definitely needs to go, and yes, this tour it got cheesy with the blind fold and bono on his knees.

I agree :up:

hell, they could dig up a song from War, like Surrender or something to replace this

I'd take:

Love and Peace or Else
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Surrender

if possible over the current scheme of things

JCOSTER said:
I would like to here anything else I have been to 12 shows and 11 x I have heard Bullet, its not my top 10 of a song.:huh:

Wow, you're blessed to have missed it once. It's missed just six shows since its debut in 1987, I believe (five on Lovetown, one on Elevation).

Wow, I don't think I have the right to vote in this poll (though it's too late I already did and said yes) since I haven't been to a show and here you've got people who have been to dozens.

What I have seen is various concert DVD's and I've enjoyed seeing how they've changed up the song to keep it relevant over the years (since the whole El Salvador thing is long over). However, it's never been one of my favorite songs on the album, and I can imagine hearing it multiple times over and over could be a bit wearing for hardcore fans. But then when you've seen 12 shows (or more) don't all the classics get old after awhile?

Axver said:

Wow, you're blessed to have missed it once. It's missed just six shows since its debut in 1987, I believe (five on Lovetown, one on Elevation).

I was at the Elevation one, it was wonderful! :laugh: :wink: Seriously though, I can honestly say I didnt miss the song one bit at that show.

I was also at the only show on the Elevation tour they didnt play Until The End Of The World. Didnt miss it either that night. :shrug: Before this tour I thought the only song that had to be played was Streets. I dont even think that any longer. They can give some staples a rest for a tour or two. They have to play some hits, understandable, but Bullet is no hit and was not even a single. They do it for the themes. They have other songs now that can accomplish the same theme. Including a brand new song.

I'd be nice if it took a tour off.

Or it could at least rotate with LAPOE, or even NYD or SBS. There's no reason for it to be played every show.

Blue Room said:
They have to play some hits, understandable, but Bullet is no hit and was not even a single. They do it for the themes. They have other songs now that can accomplish the same theme. Including a brand new song.
I don't think it's just because of the theme that Bullet is still on the set list but because of the music too. The song wasn't a hit as a single track off the album but it's a hit live I think. I was very much waiting for it when I went to see them. :shrug:

I think if Bullet was somehow reinvented, that it would bring a lot more to the tour.

They should strip 'Bullet' down, thundering drums, chunky bass lines, slow tempoed, and Bono revising the lyrics to the current day, or anti-war. Edge's solo should be extended, and the riffs should be worked on.

This is what I think it would be (again, this is my opinion and creativity)

In the howling wind comes a stinging rain
See it driving nails
Into the souls on the tree of pain
From the firefly,
A red orange glow
See the face of fear
Running scared in the valley below
Bullet the blue sky
Bullet the blue sky
Bullet the blue
Bullet the blue
...ah...ah...

In the locust wind comes a scream from pain
Devil wrestled the angel
And the devil overcame
You planted a human seed
You raised a flower of fire
See them burning crosses
See the flames higher and higher

Bullet the blue sky
Bullet the blue sky
Bullet the blue
...ah...
Bullet the blue
...ah...ah...ah...ah...ah...ah...

This guy comes up to me
And he says he can erase all his problems
By pulling the trigger
And he layed down his money
Just to solve his insecurities and cowardice
One shot, two shots, three shots
Now he doesn't exist

Overhead I hear the fighter planes
Leaving this country to follow the leader's plan
To run out an enemy that doesn't exist
The leader thinks he knows what's best
But quietly we hear about it on the television
And we're all to believe it's part of a revolution
But all this is causing a confusion
A political pollution
Revolution! Revolution! Confusion! Confusion! Pollution!

Across the world you see the country ripped open
and the pain all through a gaping wound
Pounding on the women and children pounding the woman and children
Who cry.......who cry
For the arms...
...of America

Last edited:
BTBS has indeed got to go next tour.
But I like to see Pride:madspit: and One go first.

Cheers ,

Mauwer

p.s. now bring back Gone the next tour:wink:

Pride was skipped on several Elevation tour stops.

So, U2 have ATTEMPTED and thought about dropping them from setlists.

Another thing they could do is move them around the set - Imagine Pride as the 4th song in the set!!! Or the final!!!

u2fp

U2FanPeter said:
Another thing they could do is move them around the set - Imagine Pride as the 4th song in the set!!! Or the final!!!

u2fp

Pride closed two Lovetown shows and was played SECOND at one Elevation show.

Bullet is neutered without the "Peeling off those dollars bills" verses

it's where most of the emotion of the song lies and it sounds kickass

U2FanPeter said:

Any reports on whether the shuffle "worked" for the song?

u2fp

I haven't really seen much comment either way about Pride's positioning. If it was as unremarkable as it seems, then I guess the shuffle wasn't much of a failure nor really a success.

I want to vote "Yes" and then I go to the concerts and love it.......

Bullet has to say adios.

There are so many other songs to put in the show other than Bullet....give it a rest...a long rest.

They play Bullet now and it seems like U2 on auto pilot...just going through the motions.

I'd keep it, i don't think the intensity of the band during bullet could be matched by any other song in the setlist, and also it wouldn't hurt if they brought back the zootv era bullet

Bullet rocks and showcases the brilliant talent of "The Edge". It will be a staple for as long as U2 tours IMHO and rightfully so.

Wow. I'm actually kind of torn on this one. Seriously, I mean it's such a kick ass song, studio and live, and personally it's one of my favorites.

But....

How many different ways can they play this song for before it starts getting old? What's next, the acoustic version? I don't meant to sound synical to the Bullet die heards, but I think this side of me just barely squeaks ahead.....

So in closing, I voted for....

"DROP THE DAMN SONG FROM THE SETLISTS!"

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom