Do you think they should stop playing Bullet?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Do you think they should stop playing Bullet?

• Yes!

Votes: 47 58.8%
  • No!

Votes: 33 41.3%

• Total voters
It's good, BUT it's been used too much. I think the band realizes that they need some harder guitar songs - or why else would they keep using this one? It's just obvious - they need to make several more songs that really rock. We don't need another soft album next time.

For the love of GOD, please stop playing bullet!!!!!

look at this poll, its lopsided, and we're all "huge" u2 fans. this doesnt even count the casuals who could care less about the song.

SunBloc said:
I think the band realizes that they need some harder guitar songs - or why else would they keep using this one? It's just obvious - they need to make several more songs that really rock. We don't need another soft album next time.
That's for sure. I don't think it's easy for them to write songs like that though but I agree with you. A full on rock n' roll album would not only be great for us but it would really improve their live shows cause they would have more rock songs to rotate and diferent setlists like The Rolling Stones and Bruce Springsteen.

Bullet has been a staple for almost 20 years now. 20 years! It needs a rest. As does Pride, as does One.

My climax to the main set would be something like this:

Exit - Please - Streets - Beautiful Day

LemonMacPhisto said:

I agree :up:

hell, they could dig up a song from War, like Surrender or something to replace this

I'd take:

Love and Peace or Else
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Surrender

if possible over the current scheme of things

Surrender to take the place of Bullet?? Sorry, but Surrender doesn't have near the power that Bullet has regardless of how long they've been playing it. 'Please' is about the only song that could replace it.

KennyM said:
Bullet has been a staple for almost 20 years now. 20 years! It needs a rest. As does Pride, as does One.

My climax to the main set would be something like this:

Exit - Please - Streets - Beautiful Day

Streets has been a staple for 20 years as well, but there is just some songs you dont take out of your live set. Pride and One will also always be staples.

I know that if I were someone going to see a U2 show, those are songs I expect to hear. People on these boards need to realize that you are out numbered 20-1 when it comes to the average fan.

It would be tour suicide if they took out those songs.

RademR said:
For the love of GOD, please stop playing bullet!!!!!

look at this poll, its lopsided, and we're all "huge" u2 fans. this doesnt even count the casuals who could care less about the song.

The Joshua Tree is the most well-known album to the "casual fan". Trust me, take a poll at a show and the number would be lopsided in favor of playing Bullet.

Pride, One, I still haven't found... need to go/seriously change first.

At least Bullet gets reinvented each tour.

PhoenixGNX said:

The Joshua Tree is the most well-known album to the "casual fan". Trust me, take a poll at a show and the number would be lopsided in favor of playing Bullet.

I think if you took a poll half of them wouldnt know what the song was. Just because it was on Joshua Tree isnt going to make a major difference. Its agreat album and commercially probably their biggest. But its also almost 20 years old. The casual fan knows the "hits" on there for the most part. Do you think the casual fan would know what Trip Through Your Wires is? NO way. But its on Joshua Tree??? My point, dropping Bullet isnt going to make any difference to most casual fans. Appears it wont make a difference to most of the die hards either. Its one of the few songs they really need to give a rest for at least a tour. THere is no real reason to keep putting it in the setlist other than the band are probably comfortable with it. They have other songs that can fit the political theme in its place (IE Please or Love And Peace Or Else).

Blue Room said:

I think if you took a poll half of them wouldnt know what the song was. Just because it was on Joshua Tree isnt going to make a major difference. Its agreat album and commercially probably their biggest. But its also almost 20 years old. The casual fan knows the "hits" on there for the most part. Do you think the casual fan would know what Trip Through Your Wires is? NO way. But its on Joshua Tree??? My point, dropping Bullet isnt going to make any difference to most casual fans. Appears it wont make a difference to most of the die hards either. Its one of the few songs they really need to give a rest for at least a tour. THere is no real reason to keep putting it in the setlist other than the band are probably comfortable with it. They have other songs that can fit the political theme in its place (IE Please or Love And Peace Or Else).

I take your point. However, then there is the other issue. And that is, that Bullet is still one their most 'hardest, rockiest' songs, which I'm convinced is the reason they keep it in the set. It's the most unique song in the set when it comes to the music and most notably, the staging (spotlight use, stage dramatics, etc). You could say, script wise, it is the "death" (ironically) of the first set with Streets being the climatic ressurection. Just my take.

Blue Room said:
My point, dropping Bullet isnt going to make any difference to most casual fans. Appears it wont make a difference to most of the die hards either.
Exactly, and people should stop grouping it with songs like One, Pride, Streets. Taking those out will make a difference to the casuals and the die hards.

I voted no, but I must admit that in Popmart and Elevation it was quite good, I sepcially remember it from Las vegas on the 3rd leg of the elevation tour. It was amazing and dramatic, it worked amazing with the anti-gun theme. During Popmart it was awesome with the lichtenstein planes (correct me if wrong), then going into please. And the riff from ZooTV sydney is my all time favorite.

So i guess my point is, it just got boring THIS tour, specially the combination with Sunday Bloody Sunday. I think the classic live hits weren't as good as they have been in the past, (same goes for Streets, it just doesn't feel right without the blood red sky at the beginning).

SunBloc said:
It's good, BUT it's been used too much. I think the band realizes that they need some harder guitar songs - or why else would they keep using this one? It's just obvious - they need to make several more songs that really rock. We don't need another soft album next time.

:up: I totally agree with you. I was expecting a lot more rock songs on HTDAAB. It seems Bono kept saying that it's a rock album and that it's their most rockin' album yet, etc. when the only rock songs on it are "Vertigo", "All Because Of You" and "Love And Peace Or Else" (which I'd even classify mid-rock, much like "Bullet The Blue Sky").

Okay, I kinda got off topic there...

I voted "No" because to me "Bullet" IS classic, live U2. Though I suppose that's why some are saying it SHOULD be given a break. :wink:

In any case, if they do decide to give it a rest, I hope they replace it with a newer rock/mid-rock song that shares the same lyrical theme and musical mood. "Love And Peace Or Else" is probably the best example.

As for other suggested replacements:

"Please" is a great song, but it's in a much slower tempo and doesn't have the vitality that "Bullet" has. Same goes for "Exit", which would be great in a live setting but not as a replacement for "Bullet". It's a song that builds up and doesn't kick in immediately. Plus, lyrically it strikes me as being more personal than political.

Also, someone mentioned "Surrender", but that song is nothing like "Bullet". The former is not about war or politics, and from my interpretation is more of a "call to repent" than a "call to disarm".

Anyway, those are my impressions. The next tour could be less political and therefore "Bullet" wouldn't necessarily need to be replaced by a similar song...

Oh, who am I kidding? Of course the next tour will be high in politics! :happy: :lol:

Last edited:
I really liked the style of the Zoo-era performances. If it would be played again that way, I wouldn't mind it staying. Frankly, I'd much rather see Pride be put to rest for a tour or two (or for good).

I think it should be dropped. Or they should at least not play it in the same show as SBS and LAPOE. And NEVER AGAIN all three in a row. :yikes: :crazy:

I think Bullet has done its time. Next tour this song should take a pause or be played once every 8-9 concerts. They've done everything they could with this song, and even The Edge doesn't anymore know what kind of solo he can play yet for this song. I'm a big fan of Bullet, but it must go out for a while. Together with other songs actually, such as Pride, Sunday Bloody Sunday. There are so many songs they left off through the years, pieces like Please, Mofo and Discotheque, as much Even Better Than The Real Thing.................they must come back. They need to reorganize the setlist also, put tracks like One and The Fly at the first part again for instance

Back
Top Bottom