Did knowing the setlist in advance, spoil the concert for you?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theu2fly

Refugee
I would have to say yes, it was predictable when I was in Minneapolis... nothing major really, but the debut of "Crumbs" I kinda wish I didn't follow the tour closely, otherwise I would have been surprised by the setlist... but none the less, I was still surprised to hear those songs in concert...

I rather enjoyed knowing ahead of time which songs were going to be played. There were a few I really wanted to hear and they continued to show up in the setlist. Was a complete surprise though to hear Who Is Going to Ride Your Wild Horses in September.

The opening rehearsal kinda did spoil the setlist, even though it was a bit diffrent to what they actually played on opening night.

Ahhh the memories!

I can't really imagine why it should ruin it. I mean, does knowing what songs are on an album make it so after the first listen it's never that good again?

It just doesn't bother me to know what is going to be played as long as the show is good.

Actually not knowing kinda ruined it at times. When you start hoping for Walk On or Discotheque but then you hear those first notes of The First Time, it gets pretty demoralizing

Last night my seats were behind the stage (4th row) and I could read the teleprompter and saw each song's title before they started it. I love'd the seats but kinda wished I hadn't been able to see the screen there especially before Instant Karma.

I don't think it spoiled it, but I kind of wish I hadn't... Though both of my concerts had songs played for the first time (OOTS and Stuck). I didn't look at setlists for all of the third leg and it was more exciting that way.

Kind of, but then you're surprised if they add an extra song (I Will Follow, Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses) in Dublin, Original Of The Species in Milan) and you go berserk when they actually do change it.
Like Party Girl in Gothenburg :dance:

Yes, and that's why I don't ever look at setlists or threads that might talk about the setlists until I've been to the shows I know I'm going to attend. It makes it a much better experience for me. :)

But then again, no U2 show will ever be ruined by knowing the setlist. It'll just be a little more predictable and I like my U2 with a bit of adventure on the side. :)

Last edited:
Absolutely it did for me! The band was tight, sounded great and all - but since I knew what was next, the sense of anticipation and interest waned. The encores were my fav since that's where they tend to go off the setlist lately.

And it's also the fact of the songs they do choose - for example, I knew that Miss Sarajevo was on the list but I really wanted to hear it, whereas, I could have done without Still Haven't Found...:reject:

Yes and No. Before Toronto 3, I deliberately didn't look at the setlists of Toronto 1 or 2, and even though I had a good idea of the setlist, I was still surprised (and went beyond insane for Out of Control). But for Toronto 4, I ended up studying the setlist practically. So I knew the order of every song, with the exception of Discotheque, which lost some of the spontaneity.

Now obviously, nothing's going to 'spoil' a U2 show, but in this case, ignorance is bliss.

Knowing the setlist did'nt spoil the show,but seeing the stage set up and lighting on photos did.I keep thinking back to arriving at Roundhay park in Leeds for the Zooropa show and being stunned by the size of the whole setup then when the show started....... well words can't describe the feeling,if i had seen all this on the internet it would certainly have spoiled the show.

I'm going to the show tonight in Ottawa, and I refused to watch the DVD before going, and I have been looking at the setlists from time to time and reviewed the last weeks setlits from the shows. It doesnt ruin the show, but I am disapointed that they are playing more Joshua Tree and the setlist does not seems as good as the early versions of this tour...we're getting the old "pride" "Sunday Bloody Sunday" "Still havent found" stuff...these things should have been dropped a couple of tours ago...

theu2fly said:
I would have to say yes, it was predictable when I was in Minneapolis... nothing major really, but the debut of "Crumbs" I kinda wish I didn't follow the tour closely, otherwise I would have been surprised by the setlist... but none the less, I was still surprised to hear those songs in concert...

I was also in Minneapolis and I decided to look briefly at the setlists before going...I wouldn't say that it spoiled it for me (it was my first U2 show, how could anything ruin that?), but it was predictable. For example, I knew that LAPOE, SBS, and BTBS would be played in a row, but seeing Bono right in front of me, made it all seem spontaneous anyway.

Re: Re: Did knowing the setlist in advance, spoil the concert for you?

I think it depends of what seltist is going to be played :hmm:

so that could be :shocked: or :banghead:

Back
Top Bottom