cobl as opener

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jphelmet

Refugee
just curious how many people like cobl as an opener. the song is finally growing on me, and think it should be played- but i think it is borderline awful as an opener. i really think it would be good about 2/3 of the way trhough the main set, but its way to slow building to open.

I agree with you. Although if they change it they have to rework the whole opening light show which is quite beautiful. I prefer when they come out hard rocking but that's just me. Others seemed to like COBL as an opener a lot but I thought it was the weakest opening song I've seen. Vertigo still makes the most sense to me. :shrug:

Sensational opener. Reminds me of Streets back on the JT/Lovetown tours, and I consider that to be the best opener ever.

I don't know how we didn't see it coming before

- the "oh you look so beautiful, tonight"

- the "I'm getting ready to leave the ground"

- the long intro.

I thought they could have ended with this one, but as an opener rocks... especially those EDGE slides... oh, man.. i can hear them, i can feel them :drool:

Last edited:
It sounded great in San Diego on Monday.

My only regret is Interference's spoiler ON THE FRONT page from the rehearsal on Saturday...

From maybe my 3rd listen of HTDAAB I thought COBL would be an amazing opener. I still think Streets was their greatest opener ever, this could be the 2nd greatest.

I don't need to be rocked out from the fist minute. Let it build like an orgasm.

If anything it differentiates this tour from being to much like the last...if they opened with vertigo it would be waaay to much like the elevation.

Listen to the MP3 of COBL.

IT was absolutely incredible. I was there, there could be no better opening song for this type of tour.

i get everyone's views on this, and i guess for me the biggest thing is i just think it is an ok U2 song. i have been in the minority since bomb came out, so i'm cool with it opening if everyone else thinks its so great. i'm sure i'll like it fine when i see it at the shows i'm going to. i understand the comparison in how it builds to sreets, but really the song is no where near as good as streets so i don't think that is a very good comparison.

i didn't think so at first, but now i'm starting to think lapoe would be the best opener from the new album (i was never wanting vertigo to open).

i hope on the multiple nights in chicago and msg that they switch the opener ( i think they will) and try some different things. i really like to see them open with different older songs ( i will follow, utteow, out of control).

I was completely surprised when I saw it as the opener in the rehearsal spoiler but after hearing the first night bootleg it is perfect. I love the way the guitar comes in similar to Zoo Station during Zoo TV, kind of like the guitar turns on the lights in the place and gets it ready for the show.

I'm not sure if it was Larry or Edge but the "Oh you look so beautiful" falsetto type part sounded awful on opening night. That's the only problem I had with it.

I'll go on the reocrd sa saying I love the song, but I do not like it as an opener. I agree w/ Jphelmet in that it belongs 2/3 of the way through the set and just sneak up on you and re-energize you for the final handful of songs.

Back
Top Bottom