Closing Song for the Tour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
artdirector said:
Just an FYI: I believe my friend heard OOTS that way they played it on the Apple Launch of their IPOD. Edge and Bono only singing it. As for him knowing new from old songs he's not a fan like us who would know every song so he may be hearing an older song thinking its new. He does know that the songs (2 of them) they've been tinkering with ARE NOT on the best of 1980 or 1990 so its safe to assume that they are either new songs or songs that were not singles but rockin tunes from their albums like EXIT etc.

Just a question - if he's not overly familiar with non-Best Of material, how would he know that they are doing Wire and Exit? I'm not doubting the authenticity or accusing you of anything, just curious. :)

He likes the albums UF and JT. He wasn't much of a fan of the new stuff but he does know...who doesn't.

RA-D said:
All subjective my friend, all is subjective. I love the acoustic versions, Staring At The Sun, done live acoustically, is stunningly good in my opinion, as are songs like Stay and Sunday Bloody Sunday.

I agree about the quality of many of the acoustic versions they've done, Staring not the least.

My beef is that by ONLY working up an acoustic version, they limit the song's breadth and potential. Why not work a little harder, and have solid versions of BOTH acoustic and full-band electric?

In the case of Original, in my opinion, the song (and the show) will be lessened by the absence of the big guitar buildup at the end. SYCMIOYO, for example, could still be a riveting song acoustically, but really packs a special wallop with the full-band-and-vocal explosion at the 3:18 mark.

My hope for the band is that they continue to challenge themselves, and develop their new material to be the same level of show-stoppers that the classics are.

broken toy said:
In the case of Original, in my opinion, the song (and the show) will be lessened by the absence of the big guitar buildup at the end. SYCMIOYO, for example, could still be a riveting song acoustically, but really packs a special wallop with the full-band-and-vocal explosion at the 3:18 mark.

My hope for the band is that they continue to challenge themselves, and develop their new material to be the same level of show-stoppers that the classics are.

Exactly. If OOTS was missing that guitar part on the album, I highly doubt it would be the classic that many of its supporters claim it is.

Personally, I hate the synth strings, and if they omit them from the live version and keep the electric guitar, it will easily surpass the studio version. COBL isn't the only Bomb song that could be greatly improved in the live setting. The others...don't know how much better they're gonna get. Maybe LPOE but that's about it. Miracle Drug would only really benefit from a slight extension of the ending.

laz

RademR said:

if they played it in that order at the show, it seriously might be the best 30 mins. of my life.

purrrrr...

really, would be phenomenal

Latest news; The band is now in San Diego rehearsing. Bono and the crew were spotted in Mexico (Baja California area). Not sure how relevant this is but according to my friend their rehearsals from L.A. have shortened and he hasn't seen the band lately. So they could have started to get more specific and fine tune the tour a bit more. More news as it comes.

lazarus said:
With the band supposedly starting rehearsals in Vancouver, this report is sounding a little sketchy, to be honest.

laz

Well, nowhere has it been said that the band themselves will be in Vancouver the whole time. I understand they had the arena in Miami booked for a month but much of that was technical stuff and the band were only there for a week or so.

i would like to see a meaningful cover end the show. to just totaly come out of nowhere. they ended thier club show in 2000 with won;t get fooled again, but that was apporate for a club one off show. but if thier was some cover out thier, that could end the show, i think that would be way cool.

Back
Top Bottom