closing song?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Crumbs' resemblances to Walk On will probably mean it won't close. Some speculate Yahweh will close, but I sincerely doubt that - "take this heart and make it break" does not seem like the line U2 would want to end a concert with.

I actually think an old song will close. 40, anyone? It has to come back sometime.

That sounds like an awesome idea, especially the "I'm getting ready to leave the ground" bit fits well w/ outro status

Yahweh to me sounds like an "ending b4 the encore" song

I highly doubt that COBL would close, at least not the whole set. Main set? Possibly. I actually think we could see it flowing into Beautiful Day.

Axver said:
but I sincerely doubt that - "take this heart and make it break" does not seem like the line U2 would want to end a concert with.

Hadnt even thought about that! You're probably right there. It wont be Walk On surely, it'll be something different - but dont they normally end with something from the latest album?:eyebrow:

The first time I heard the cd, I commented the song to my friend and saud that Yahweh would be the closer!

I think it has to be somewhat of a mid-tempo song! ...like walk on was!

Aardvark747 said:

Hadnt even thought about that! You're probably right there. It wont be Walk On surely, it'll be something different - but dont they normally end with something from the latest album?:eyebrow:

Actually, no, U2 typically end with old songs. I'll go from the War Tour.

Tour - closer - album closer is from

War Tour - 40 - War
The Unforgettable Fire Tour - 40 - War
The Joshua Tree Tour - 40 - War
Lovetown - 40 - War
[It is worth noting a couple of other closers rarely appeared on JT/Lovetown. With Or Without You was most prevalent, once on JT and ... eight times, I think, on Lovetown]
ZooTV - Love Is Blindness - Achtung Baby
ZooTV - Can't Help Falling In Love With You - non-U2
Popmart - One (20 times) - Achtung Baby
Popmart - Unchained Melody (20 times) - non-U2
Popmart - Wake Up Dead Man (20 times) - Pop
[Popmart also occasionally saw other closers, such as Mothers Of The Disappeared, Rain, MLK, and 40]
Elevation - Walk On - All That You Can't Leave Behind

As you can see, on only three tours (War, half of ZooTV, Elevation) has a new song closed the set. U2 traditionally use older songs, most specifically 40.

Edit: for further information on U2's usage of closers, check out the link in my signature.

Last edited:
I personally think that a song from the new album will not close the show, because, IMHO, none of the new songs sound like closing songs. I think we will have the return of "One" as the closer for this tour. It's a safe answer, but if I were a betting man, I would put my money on it.

Back
Top Bottom