Chicago 9/20... new changes!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theu2fly

Refugee
City Of Blinding Lights
Vertigo
Elevation
Electric Co.
The Ocean
Walk On (Acoustic)
Beautiful Day
Miracle Drug
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
Yahweh
Love & Peace Or Else
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Bullet The Blue Sky / Hands That Built America/When Johnny Comes Marching Home
Miss Sarajevo
Pride
Where The Streets Have No Name
One

Discotheque
The Fly
With Or Without You

All Because Of You
The First Time
Bad

theu2fly said:

Walk On (Acoustic)
Discotheque
The Fly
With Or Without You

All Because Of You
The First Time
Bad

fucking BAD-ASS...

this 3rd leg is certainly starting off on the right foot!

The First Time?! Was it the whole song?

It's only ever been played after Bad, but never as a whole song!!

To save myself repeating what I've already typed, here's what I posted to the main page of u2-vertigo-tour.com, plus the set with all the snippets I know of so far.

At Chicago's first show of the third leg, there were some major surprises. The most amazing surprise was the performance of The First Time for, yes, the first time. At some fourth leg shows of ZooTV, an abbreviated First Time was added to the end of Bad just before it exploded into Bullet The Blue Sky, but beyond such a snippet, it had never been played live before. No U2 song has ever not been played on the tour supporting its album and then been played live on a later tour - until now. This is also the first time (pardon the pun) a song from the Zooropa album has been played on the Vertigo Tour and the first time a Zooropa song other than Stay has been played in North America. While on the topic of Zooropa, Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car was snippeted in The Fly. At least one song from every single U2 album has now been played on the Vertigo Tour - the last time a song from every single album (released up to that point in time) was played on a tour was back on 1989's Lovetown Tour.

In other news, Walk On made its first full live appearance since its performance at a Grammy's ceremony in February 2002, and today was performed acoustically with Bono forgetting the lyrics at the end and having to find a lyrics sheet! Discotheque remained in the setlist and Yahweh moved to the middle of the set to make way for The First Time in the encore.

The full setlist was:

City Of Blinding Lights
Vertigo
Elevation
The Electric Co. / Break On Through (snippet) / See Me, Feel Me (snippet)
The Ocean
Walk On
Beautiful Day / Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (snippet) / Many Rivers To Cross (snippet)
Miracle Drug
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own / The Black Hills of Dakota (snippet)
Yahweh
Love And Peace Or Else
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Bullet The Blue Sky / The Hands That Built America (snippet) / When Johnny Comes Marching Home (snippet)
Miss Sarajevo
Pride (In The Name Of Love)
Where The Streets Have No Name
One / Ol' Man River (snippet)

Encore(s):
Discothèque
The Fly / Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car (snippet)
With Or Without You
All Because Of You
The First Time
Bad / 40 (snippet)

Last edited:
It was indeed The First Time in its entirety, though I'd rather have more Achtung and less Zooropa. The acoustic Walk On made the United Center feel like a small club, at least from my spot in GA near the rail. The energy down on the floor was amazing and the finale was one of the best renditions of Bad I've ever heard. You could tell the band was having fun. Bravo!

any corrolation with spending some time with pearl jam and realizing what it is like to be a band again, not an "act" not worry about the lights, and just going out and playing music...

This is great - a main setlist for the tour but with enough spaces for some serious and varied song rotation. Like someone said earlier, it's a shame that this arena tour wasn't the one filmed for the DVD as the stadium show seemed pretty similar to it.

New songs for Milan:

I Will Follow
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
All I Want Is You
Miss Sarajevo
With Or Without You
Vertigo (zee zecond one)

I see some difference.

They should forget the Chicago DVD though.

ok...i'm def. getting more tickets to this leg, two shows isnt enough.

Great setlist, AMAZING!!!!

"Walk On' is a surprise. The performance itself was not great imo but it was hilarious to me (lyrics sheet) and so it was worth it. Needs the electric guitar though.

Just a snippet of "Crashed Car" makes the concert great, but "First Time" was played in it's entriety?? WOW...great stuff. One of their most under-rated songs imo.

Imagine if u2 did this every night. Where's the boot? :wink:

I was at 9/20. I do believe it was a much better show than the 5/9 show. Bono was very energized and animated! He hit all of the notes and sounded wonderful. The band was great and energized, too! The crowd was very appreciative -- and the band did 2 encores!! WOW......it was just great!! :drool: :wink:

RE:

09. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
10. Yahweh
11. Love And Peace Or Else

If I'm not mistaken this is the first time SYCMIOYO wasn't followed by LAPOE. I wonder if this change will live on...

It may not be as big as the introduction of new songs, but it seems like a major change when you consider all the previous Vertigo Tour shows.

Anyone else wondering about this? :hmm:

P.S. Looks like you got your wish, Axver. :wink:

U2 are my motherfucking BAND! now that's what I'm talking about!!!

I really, really wish I could see a show before December...

I was on the rail too for the 1st night, far left of stage. In the middle of the floor for the 2nd night (late trade for GA after the doors opened). Band had more energy the 1st night, crowd was amazing the 2nd, all the way up to 300 level!

One minor gripe: More ZooTV!!

Back
Top Bottom