Boston 3 (5/28/05)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
phanan said:
Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses may not be considered one of the best songs off of Achtung Baby (it's certainly not my favorite), but the way they played it Saturday night blew the roof off the place. It was incredible.

A tour debut of a song not done in over 10 years, with an unbelievable performance. Plus Party Girl thrown in and UTEOTW again. That's what makes the 5/28 setlist unique. For me, anyway.

I agree.....and the crowd was into it except for anyone under 22 who did not know the old stuff.

Hehhehe

Those two things are not necessarily mutually inclusive - I'm under 22 and know the old stuff, for instance. But I do understand your point - like the Boy songs, it isn't a "hit" that the more casual fans can know.

All that said, it's AMAZINg - I dare say better than any zoo TV performancie I can think of at the moment (granted I haven't listened to any lately)

I could see a new setlsit rotation looking like this:

Setlist A:
Zoo Station
The Fly
Mysterious Ways

Setlist B:
The Fly
Until the End of the World
Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses

That way each setlist gets a "rare/gem" song as well as The Fly and one that is mroe well known.

Harbinger said:
Those two things are not necessarily mutually inclusive -

I understand...

My daughter is 7...and she new the songs...

But all around me....kids were sitting....during the old stuff.....

phanan said:
Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses may not be considered one of the best songs off of Achtung Baby (it's certainly not my favorite), but the way they played it Saturday night blew the roof off the place. It was incredible.

A tour debut of a song not done in over 10 years, with an unbelievable performance. Plus Party Girl thrown in and UTEOTW again. That's what makes the 5/28 setlist unique. For me, anyway.

Yes, it was umbelievable. I think the only people who would disagree with that choice are people who were not at the show.

I've always loved that song (especially the Temple Bar mix, way better than that album version), but I also thought it was not such a great live song according to some ZooTV boots I had heard.

I would even say that when I heard the rumors that they were rehearsing it, I thought "Cool, I always like new songs being played, but why this one?"

That was until they played it on Saturday. It was literally one of the most intense and emotional moments of all the 5 Vertigo show I saw.

It was not a 'perfect' performance, obviously, but a really 'magic' one, for lack of a better word. And not just because they hadn't played it it so long, something special really happened, it's hard to describe...

When they started the song, all four band members gathered really close to each other around Larry's drums, and you could tell they were kind of nervous and excited at the same time, and so was the crowd.

For some reason I thought it was WAY better than any ZooTV boots that I have heard, but I can't really say why. The ending with an added Edge solo was just incredible, and Bono sang it beautifully, with a slightly changed and improved melody.

It was just... really emotional in a happy kind of way.. You know, like only U2 can make you feel?

Aardvark747 said:
Wild Horses for Cardiff pls....:drool:

Yes! Cardiff's the only show I'm going to so far (apart from hopefully Live 8) so if they play it in Cardiff I will die happy! It's probably my favourite U2 song...apart from maybe With Or Without You or One, but I don't mind WOWY being dropped because Bono doesn't do it justice any more.

Acrobat would be nice...hehe.

Just heard the bootleg for this. This must be the best U2 show this tour. AMAZING CROWD, AMAZING BAND, and last but not the last an A.M.A.Z.I.N.G. BONO! He really nailed Wild Horses!

They way they played Party Girl also ROCKED!

The other songs was also great. I didn´t hear any misses at all. Let´s hope they´ll continue down this path in Europe...

AND let´s bring in a "new" song every show! Start with I Fall Down and Acrobat!!

Last edited:
I'm under 22 and I knew all the old stuff. Pretty much the entire section I was in sang along to An Cat Dubh which blew me away cause we were all young. 19-21.

SMB

Dreadsox said:

I understand...

My daughter is 7...and she new the songs...

But all around me....kids were sitting....during the old stuff.....

You should've been down in the ellipse - my girlfriend (17) and I (18) were probably the ones who went the most nuts to The Cry/The Electric Co. and An Cat Dubh/Into The Heart. And when I was way up in section 307 on 24/05, myself, my friend (20), and most of the people I noticed were having a grand time during Electric Co.

I really can't believe anyone's complaining about WGRYWH (bear in mind I think Achtung Baby is wildly over-rated and WGRYWH is one of my least favourite tracks on the album!). The performance was outstanding, especially the magical last minute, which felt like it would never end. I really lost myself in that moment.

Then again, I can't believe there are any complaints about the three Boston shows at all. They were all absolutely out of this world, amazing and incredible, three of the best nights of my life.

Far be it for me to piss on everyones parade but IMO is one of the worst songs u2 have made,droning,boring dross:( .Of all the records they could have chosen they choose 'wild horses':mad: :mad: :mad:
My opinion thats all:angry:

I can think of plenty of other songs that I like less than Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses.

Granted, it's an average song on an excellent album, but the way they performed it was outstanding (not to mention that the crowd was totally into it).

Achtung is such a stellar album, from zoo to blindness, that its worst songs (horses and Tryin') would be by far the best songs on almost any other album by any other band.

I kind of felt the same way about Zoo Station Fanan, until I saw them play it live the 1st show in Boston. It was electric and a show stopper. You can tell the band really were into it.

Back
Top Bottom