Best song brisbane

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Av

The Fly
We have all heard how good kite was !!! :drool:

Which songs impressed in brisbane. How was Sunday BS. Did bono get into it. His version at slane still gets me worked up and ive watched it so many times. How was it performed?

Which song had the most passion on the bands behalf

Cheers

[waiting for melbourne !!!!!!]

Kite was awesome....really fresh. The digeridoo & the 'real' kite Bono let off worked perfect...
Sunday Bloody Sunday.....again, performed well & recieved well & did its job in raising the temperature in the stadium. Like it was played for the very first time....ppl went off!!!

I thought the boys let rip on THE SAINTS....

I have to say that I didn't think there was a low point. Maybe I am just biased, but the whole thing was fantastic!

Depends on what you mean by best?

In terms of what went off the most for the whole crowd there was probably a split hair between Vertigo, Beautiful Day, Streets & SBS.

There were other "moments" but unless you were a hard core fan they probably weren't as classic as the above. Kite is a good example of this IMO. Whilst we might all think it was really cool, to most of the punters it was a strange song choice to end the show with as to them it was just a non single from the last album to which they might have known some of the words. Contrast this with WOWY (which gets a bit of a panning around here mind you) as the last song in encore 1 when 99% of the crowd were singing along at the top of their voices. Swap them around and you've got a much better ending I reckon.

Last edited:
Yeh thats a great point!! With u2 there will never be a bad show. It doesnt happen. They have perfected a art of stage performance that will blow us away despite how many times you watch them live. So i just like to know how any one show compared to those that you have seen before either live , dvd or othermeans. Because the shows are so greats its good to listen to other peoples opinions in what stood out in comparison.

On this occasion it seems the closing using Kite was a real plus.

Until the end of the world rocked big time - that really got me going. Streets had the crowd in raptures and the look on Bono's face priceless - he was just over awed with the crowd - what a great moment

From the perspective of a setlist nerd like me I'd have to say Angel Of Harlem. I never saw this coming. And then to see Edge playing it on his Explorer and then Bono play the harmonica at the end made it a truly unique (up until now) version.

From the perspective of the band and their performance I have to zero in on Bono's amazing singing in Miss Sarajevo. Incredible. It is the first time I'd heard him sing the opera part and I was blown away. I stood there awestruck by it.

The Fly fucking rocked the stadium to pieces. Easily the best song of the night.

There were no bad songs, or even close, which makes it hard to single stuff out. Sunday Bloody Sunday was hair-raising - at least as good as Slane. And Axver's right, The Fly, The Fly, The Fly... but I think what surprised me most was how good Angel of Harlem and Pride sounded. I tend to conisder those rather tired warhorses which should be (semi-)retired, but they sounded first-rate on Tuesday.

bgmckinney said:
I think what surprised me most was how good Angel of Harlem and Pride sounded. I tend to conisder those rather tired warhorses which should be (semi-)retired, but they sounded first-rate on Tuesday.

I agree here. Pride has surprised me this tour and I haven't called (much) for it to be dumped because it's sounding worthwhile nowadays, much unlike the dreary and dull versions from 1987 to 2001. The highest I jumped all night was actually during Pride. It really struck an anthemic high.

I don't agree with the praise for Sunday Bloody Sunday though. I think it's been a plod the last two tours, and it dragged on a bit too much in Brisbane. It shouldn't have ALL four of the David Hicks, "Jesus, Jew, Muhammad", Father Abraham, and child on stage segments. Just one or two of them would have done nicely.

Axver said:

I don't agree with the praise for Sunday Bloody Sunday though. I think it's been a plod the last two tours, and it dragged on a bit too much in Brisbane. It shouldn't have ALL four of the David Hicks, "Jesus, Jew, Muhammad", Father Abraham, and child on stage segments. Just one or two of them would have done nicely.

Lol. Well, as someone who grew up watching R&H, who has been waiting for years to feel that knee-weakening, gut-wrenching euphoria in person that you get from hearing the song in the film, I loved it. I finally got that moment. It was all about Bono's voice, for me. But I see your point.

bgmckinney said:

Lol. Well, as someone who grew up watching R&H, who has been waiting for years to feel that knee-weakening, gut-wrenching euphoria in person that you get from hearing the song in the film, I loved it. I finally got that moment. It was all about Bono's voice, for me. But I see your point.

See, I adore the RAH version of SBS and I just don't feel SBS has ever really lived up to that since. Bono's simply been too prepared, too scripted - the raw passion and fiery spontaneity isn't there.

I'd like Bono to go back to doing this sort of stuff when he feels compelled to say it rather than making it part of every show. I feel making it part of every show dilutes the passion and impact.

I thought SBS rocked. The Elevation tour versions always seemed slow and plodding to me. This version seemed more 'edgy' to me and the tempo was a little faster, more like how they used to do it in the 80's.

I thought Zoo Station and The Fly were immensely powerful paired together. Probably the best pairing of songs in the whole show.

I still vote for Angel Of Harlem as the song that got me going the most. Although I was just about in tears during Streets. I love these guys.

Axver said:

See, I adore the RAH version of SBS and I just don't feel SBS has ever really lived up to that since. Bono's simply been too prepared, too scripted - the raw passion and fiery spontaneity isn't there.

I'd like Bono to go back to doing this sort of stuff when he feels compelled to say it rather than making it part of every show. I feel making it part of every show dilutes the passion and impact.

I agree with you about the SBS version and the 'Fuck the revolution' speech having a spontaneity that we don't find anymore now that Bono's political rants are indeed very scripted most of the times. When I first saw RAH many years ago as a I was just getting into U2, SBS is THE factor that made U2 go from a really amazing band to pretty much becoming a cult for me :wink: I thought 'WOW, this man (Bono) is just something else, above and beyond having the most beautiful voice I have ever heard...'

I am a really big fan of the 'political' aspects of U2 shows, to me it makes to whole experience much deeper and far-reaching than any other rock shows. BUT, yes, I much prefer when Bono goes on a spontaneous rant (which he still does from time to time) than the 'staged' parts (although I wouldn't take all of them out of the show).

That being said I LOVE SBS and is always a highlight for me at every show. I did prefer it during Elevation though. Might have to do with the fact that Bono doesn't look quite as sincere when signing it with red leather jacket, bandana and dark sunglasses :wink:

Interesting points. Oceane, I had the same experience with R&H...
The R&H SBS speech, though, was inspired by a particular event - the Eniskillen attack - which occured on the day of the show. It was a rare *event* that led to a rare performance. We were just lucky there was a film crew there. Other JT-era versions of the song feature speeches that are scripted rather like the current versions - usually about Amnesty International. So while I agree that no version of SBS has matched that version, I don't really expect them too. I see the scripted speeches, which can be passionate and moving, rather like extensions of the song - which, of course, while passionate and moving, is a scripted thing itself.

bgmckinney said:
Interesting points. Oceane, I had the same experience with R&H...
The R&H SBS speech, though, was inspired by a particular event - the Eniskillen attack - which occured on the day of the show. It was a rare *event* that led to a rare performance. We were just lucky there was a film crew there. Other JT-era versions of the song feature speeches that are scripted rather like the current versions - usually about Amnesty International. So while I agree that no version of SBS has matched that version, I don't really expect them too. I see the scripted speeches, which can be passionate and moving, rather like extensions of the song - which, of course, while passionate and moving, is a scripted thing itself.

You are absolutely right, and I really I do enjoy the scripted parts too. I think it's normal for Bono to repeat himself night after night, because he wants to make sure that the points he his making reach all audiences at every show. And of course the RAH SBS was a one off. But there is a certain rage, passion and spontaneity about Bono's speech that is rarely seen anymore, although it does surface from time to time still.

Axver said:
The Fly fucking rocked the stadium to pieces. Easily the best song of the night.

Although it's hard to pick out one highlight, I think I have to agree with Axver here. Fucking brilliant version of The Fly. Zoo Station & Beautiful Day were not far behind either!!

Lol, this appears to be the thread for people who have geographical connections to me. I don't want to get off topic, but I'm on the Coast as well, neilm... (if you don't mind my asking) whereabouts are you?

bgmckinney said:
La Gambie, Oceane? Are you really there? I just noticed that... I lived in Guinea for a while :)

Yes, la Gambie indeed... I am really here! Never been to Guinea but it's not too far, hopefully I'll go eventually. What were you doing in Guinea? My best friends lived there for two years, in Dabola and KanKan and a few other places.

No, my friends were working in refugee camps via a Canadian NGO, and for the World Food Programme.

So you were a Peace Corps there? I am not a Peace Corps but know quite a few here in The Gambia. I work for a British development NGO. You can check out some of my adventures on my blog (shameless plug here...) at

http://www.adunayhaddie.blogspot.com/

Ok so we're derailing the thread here :shh: but it's not that often you meet people who lived in West Africa on U2 boards :wink:

bgmckinney said:
Lol, this appears to be the thread for people who have geographical connections to me. I don't want to get off topic, but I'm on the Coast as well, neilm... (if you don't mind my asking) whereabouts are you?

No probs mate - Varsity Lakes. You?

Axver said:

amen! it was definetly my favorite of the night, and those fly goggles bono was wearing were just awsome!

lucky i gave them to him ;)

I'd pick COBL. Opening song of a delayed tour. And the opening (Edge creating that absolute wall of sound) was just perfect given the reason for the delay.

Back
Top Bottom