Bad on Vertigo Tour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

namkcuR

ONE love, blood, life
I was thinking, if U2 bring Bad back into the set as a regular, perhaps they could tweak the performance a bit. I am thinking primarily of Bono. What I am getting at is that I think he should sing it the way he did during ZooTV, where he sang the 'Wide Awake's in falsetto. The whole song builds up to those 'Wide Awake's, and you're expecting something spectacular when they arrive. Alas, when he sings 'Wide Awake' normally now, his voice sounds thinned from it was in the 80s, and it's not so spectacular imo. But he could pull off the falsetto and there would be no weakness in sight, and it would indeed be spectacular and worthy of the buildup. It could be amazing.

we have seen a few superb performances of bad from this tour... i think the chihago 4 is that one that really stands out, and stands out with the best of bad from previous tours imo,

he nails the "wiidee awake". which he didnt always do during the elevation tour

Yes, Chicago 4, Bad

One of my favourite songs from the bootlegs of this tour :rockon:

:rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

If this were the Elevation Tour, I'd be agreeing with you.

Bad at Boston II was perfect. :drool:

I've listened to both the Chicago 4 and Boston 2 versions of Bad just now, after you've mentioned them, and while they're both good, and certainly better than the Elevation versions, I still don't see how anyone could put them up with U2's best ever performances of Bad.

Listen to Bad from the 08-28-93 Dublin ZooTV show(the last show of the 4th leg of ZooTV). That is one of the single greatest performances of Bad I've ever heard. Also, the one on R&H from Arizona(I think).

Anyway, I still think adding the falsetto in could elevate Bad to new heights now.

namkcuR said:
I've listened to both the Chicago 4 and Boston 2 versions of Bad just now, after you've mentioned them, and while they're both good, and certainly better than the Elevation versions, I still don't see how anyone could put them up with U2's best ever performances of Bad.

Listen to Bad from the 08-28-93 Dublin ZooTV show(the last show of the 4th leg of ZooTV). That is one of the single greatest performances of Bad I've ever heard. Also, the one on R&H from Arizona(I think).

Anyway, I still think adding the falsetto in could elevate Bad to new heights now.
i could put it up there as one of the best pretty easy, the snippets, bono's voice, the power, the ending with 40 etc

namkcuR said:

I don't think Bad is ever going to be as good as the JT/Lovetown or ZooTV versions. (The RAH performance is from 8 November 1987, Denver and is one of the main reasons I'm on this forum today) That said, I think Bad on this tour is exceptional - I'd like to hear it with this falsetto idea of yours, but I really think right now, it's not crying out for improvement. I'm actually impressed with how great it still sounds.

that's a good idea. I love the performance of Bad from ZooTV Dublin and I agree that it would be a nice little change. I think Bad sounds great now...in fact, while the R&H version is just my absolute favorite, I think musically it sounds better than ever.

Bad at Vancouver 1 was absolutely mind-blowing (lasted about 10 minutes). I think there is no good quality boot-leg of this show out there, unfortunately, but it was an umbelievable show. Definately better than any Bad I've heard on Elevation.

Not a fan of ZooTV Bad, personally.

The versions from this tour have been very good. I was never a big fan of the Zoo TV versions though. I thought they were too short. I miss hearing all three verses of the song. I love the Unforgettable Fire and Joshua Tree tour versions. Bad at Live Aid is my favorite U2 concert moment ever.

Aparofan said:
The versions from this tour have been very good. I was never a big fan of the Zoo TV versions though. I thought they were too short. I miss hearing all three verses of the song. I love the Unforgettable Fire and Joshua Tree tour versions. Bad at Live Aid is my favorite U2 concert moment ever.
Bad on Rattle and Hum is the best live version ever... Absolutely stunning performance!

I think this tours performances of Bad are the best they have done since Joshua Tree/Lovetown. I think one of the reasons is that it is more fresh to them which gives it more energy. Why is it more fresh to them? Because they are not playing it every single night. I hope they continue to play it on the third leg, but I dont think it should be part of the standard setlist structure that gets done every single night.

When it is played, it should close the show.

Blue Room said:
I think this tours performances of Bad are the best they have done since Joshua Tree/Lovetown. I think one of the reasons is that it is more fresh to them which gives it more energy. Why is it more fresh to them? Because they are not playing it every single night. I hope they continue to play it on the third leg, but I dont think it should be part of the standard setlist structure that gets done every single night.

:yes: I think this tour's Bad might be better than any version before it... though one of my favourite performances of Bad is from Boston 8/23/92 with a fantastic snippet of Lou Reed's Walk on the Wild Side...best snippet ever :drool: but overall I think the wide awake's are very strong on this tour, in fact I think they sound stronger with Bono just belting it out than with the falsetto. Chicago 1 was incredible :drool: maybe I'm just biased 'cause I was there but everytime I listen to it I never ceased to be amazed...and I wasn't expecting them to play it!! I haven't actually heard Chicago 4 :reject:

by the way your sig is hilarious :laugh:

u guys r right, bad from this tour sounds pretty good. it sounds better than it did on the previous tour. but ever since i heard the 16 min performance from meadowlands new york 1985, all other versions seem like a joke to me!

Last edited:
Blue Room said:

Bad closing out Boston 2 was a great moment. It was Bad --> 40 --> Bad. so it was the best of both worlds with the '40 should end every U2 show ever' crowd getting their way, and the 'lets move on from 40' crowd getting their way too. But even without that, Bad ending the show was a real show stopper. Not many songs could have followed that up.

The Live Aid version and one from ZooTV Rotterdam are my favorites to this day, then again I haven't heard many boots from the JT/Lovetown Tours...

They were supposed to play Bad--my all-time favorite U2 tune, if not my all-time favorite song overall--when I saw them for Philly 2, but they changed to 40 at the last minute. The performances of it I've heard from this tour have been amazing, so I'm hoping they include it more regularly in the setlist this fall. I'm going to three shows, so here's to the chance I'll hear it at least once!

euh..............its still early here:eyebrow:
Is the bad-40-bad version in Boston II somewhere???
can someone sent it to me??
And the new york version I dont know either. 16 minutes:drool: :drool: !!

truffel3@hotmail.com
(and a internet nono:) )

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom