Bad and 40 on the list... worries me...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theu2fly

Refugee
I hope 40 is a full version of 40, not a snippet included with Bad... it's not bad, but it's sure a helluva teaser, is there any reports that 40 is the real deal?

There's been lots of reports about "40" being the real deal............"inside sources" mentioned a closer that would be a medley of "Yahweh/40/Walk On".......it's something that could most definitely work....

Give us One, Yahweh, 40 as the final encore!

For the record, the last time the full band played 40 was 7 February 2001, which is the only time the whole band has done it since 10 January 1990, and Bono and Edge did it to close four Popmart gigs. If it returned regularly ... :drool: I'd be in heaven. Best closer ever. There's a reason it has closed approximately three times as many concerts as the second most common closer (Walk On).

"Walk On" is new........and by percentages, it has closed out far more shows from the day it was born to the present day........

Ugh, what is with you people not liking "Walk On"?.......that's my favorite U2 song of this decade.....

BigMacPhisto said:
"Walk On" is new........and by percentages, it has closed out far more shows from the day it was born to the present day........

Ugh, what is with you people not liking "Walk On"?.......that's my favorite U2 song of this decade.....

Walk On can only claim the second position because during ZooTV, U2 tacked on Can't Help Falling In Love onto the end of Love Is Blindness. If it weren't for that, Love Is Blindness would have taken the second spot with a little over 150 performances. Check out the openers/closers link in my signature for more. Walk On was the fixed Elevation closer (excluding three shows closed with Out Of Control) and had a high number of shows, thus its easy run to spot two. It will be a lot harder to pass 40.

The only songs that have been consistently played in the closing position of multiple tours are The Ocean and 40.

Walk On, by the way, remains one of my all-time favourite songs and means a lot to me.

Axver said:

Walk On, by the way, remains one of my all-time favourite songs and means a lot to me.

Coolness. But why do you think the band won't have it in nearly all of their setlists?

BigMacPhisto said:

Coolness. But why do you think the band won't have it in nearly all of their setlists?

Musically, it shares similarities to Crumbs; they don't want to be seen to be playing Elevation Part II; and I just don't have a good feeling about this one. But I won't use the "U2 never repeat closers" line on you because I know that's fallacious.

I hope they play it but I'm not expecting anything. If I had my way, from ATYCLB, they would play Beautiful Day, Walk On, Kite, and a debut of the full band When I Look At The World.

Yes....full band When I Look at The World!!! I have had dreams about this since I first listened to ATYCLB :drool:

I thought for sure after 9/11 it would appear as it can be taken in so many important contexts. It would even fit well in this tour with current world events.

I do think ATYCLB was more of a studio album than a live album, however WILATW sure sounds like it could be amazing live. The snippet in Kansas City during Elevation was great.

Just my opinion, but I'd rather have 40 as the snippet and make room for another song on the setlist...seems like it'd be kind of a waste of a song, when they could be playing acrobat or mofo or a sort of homecoming or something....

Is it just me or is U2 perhaps the only band who are built to end a show with a mellow to slow song. It just seems proper for them to end it that way. It's like "we came, we conqured, but in a loving way" I don't know. It's just odd though because most bands will close with their heaviest song but not U2. I also think Original of the Species would eb a great song to play right near the end
"Baby slow down, the end is not as fun as the start"

Back
Top Bottom