Anyone else slightly disappointed with Hawaii set-list?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

boston2012

The Fly
I loved the fact that they played ...Horses but other than that, I was expecting more from a tour finale. Maybe my expectations were too high but it would have been nice to see a "best of tour" set rather than the seeing Eddie Vedder and Billie Joe Armstrong. The set just appeared to seem too "gimicky" and as a U2 fan, I would have expected more from the final concert from such a big tour.

Personal opinion of course but I would have like to have seen.....

1. Bad. How do you end ANY U2 tour and not play Bad.
2. Original of the Species. According to Bono, this is the best song on 'Bomb...maybe they were just never happy with it live.
3. Like Xmas last year in Boston, it would have been nice to see at least a snippet of "Baby, Please Come Home"
4. One Tree Hill... such a highlight of the last leg...why not play it in Hawaii?
5. Yahweh... again, an earlier tour highlight...would have been a nice addition
6. Gloria or Electric Co or An Cat Dubh.... a big favorite during the tour regardless of which one...another "best or tour" highlight
7. 40... How could this not be the final song??

I know that is a lot an you'd have to eliminate some songs but I would have done the Green Day song and Eddie Vedder stuff on another night and perhaps take out Angel of Harlem and I Still Haven't Found....I know Window in the Skies is a great new song but again....my opinion only perhaps...it would have been great to see them pull it all together for their last night.

I'm surprised they didn't play OTH or Kite, those were the 2 gems of the last leg

boston2012 said:
Maybe my expectations were too high but it would have been nice to see a "best of tour" set rather than the seeing Eddie Vedder and Billie Joe Armstrong.

But then the rest of the board would have bashed them and called them a "tribute band", can't please everyone...

Seeing Pearl Jam on the stage with U2 on the last concert of the tour was great for me, since they are two of my favorite bands. I regret that One Tree Hill, Kite, Zoo Station or The Electric Co. weren´t played, but you can´t have everything.

I suppose my point is that this tour had some really unbelievable moments, some great surprises and some great songs that were either played live for the first time, played for the first time in ages or songs that simply blended really well together. Each leg had a different mix, different songs that were unique for those audiences......

You obviously couldn't play everything when you start to think about it. (Miracle Drug was actually played during this tour, Crumbs was played...how about Instant Karma and Fast Cars?) These songs plus other great moments the were pointed out in other posts is what made this tour great.

Anyway...it would have been great to see a set list that was comprised of some of these moments rather than a "guest" singer set. Perhaps Mary J Blige was busy that night!! I have no problem seeing them collaborate with other artists but I would rather have seen the final night of the tour be more of a tribute to the fans rather than Eddie Vedder.

boston2012 said:
I suppose my point is that this tour had some really unbelievable moments, some great surprises and some great songs that were either played live for the first time, played for the first time in ages or songs that simply blended really well together. Each leg had a different mix, different songs that were unique for those audiences......

You obviously couldn't play everything when you start to think about it. (Miracle Drug was actually played during this tour, Crumbs was played...how about Instant Karma and Fast Cars?) These songs plus other great moments the were pointed out in other posts is what made this tour great.

Anyway...it would have been great to see a set list that was comprised of some of these moments rather than a "guest" singer set. Perhaps Mary J Blige was busy that night!! I have no problem seeing them collaborate with other artists but I would rather have seen the final night of the tour be more of a tribute to the fans rather than Eddie Vedder.

Jesus Christ, Mary J Blige? Are you serious?

Eddie Vedder is an amazing performer and a long time friend of the band. The cause of their collaboration was honorable and more important than Blige´s shrieking. The message Eddie and Bono tried to sent was one of the most important motives on the Vertigo Tour.

djerdap said:

Jesus Christ, Mary J Blige? Are you serious?

Eddie Vedder is an amazing performer and a long time friend of the band. The cause of their collaboration was honorable and more important than Blige´s shrieking. The message Eddie and Bono tried to sent was one of the most important motives on the Vertigo Tour.

I was obviously being sarcastic since my point was that I would rather not see a "guest setlist"...get it?

I'm a big Pearl Jam fan and it is great to see Eddie Vedder and Bono on the same stage. Read through the whole post and I think you'll see my point and understand my use of sarcasm?

boston2012 said:

I was obviously being sarcastic since my point was that I would rather not see a "guest setlist"...get it?

I'm a big Pearl Jam fan and it is great to see Eddie Vedder and Bono on the same stage. Read through the whole post and I think you'll see my point and understand my use of sarcasm?

Yeah, I got it as soon as I read your message again, sorry about that. I just cringe when I hear the name Mary J Blige, pardon me. :wink:

Still, since you are a big PJ fan, you were really stuck on that Eddie Vedder detail. Why not delete the worn out songs like I Will Follow, I Still Haven´t Found or Pride for the highlights of the tour like The Electric Co., One Tree Hill and Zoo Station as a tribute to the fans?

That would for me be much more logical.

I was slightly disappointed but I wasn't expecting too much. As was said time and time and time and time and time again, they don't generally do special set lists for the final show.

I was surprised OTH was missing, but really that was it.

You lot only have yourself to blame for getting your hopes up. The closing show of a U2 tour is usually them playing the same shit they play up till then. Final Zoo TV show in Japan? Standard setlist. Final Popmart show in Johannesburg? Standard setlist. Final Elevation show in Miami? Standard setlist.

The only time when they did something special was the final Lovetown show in Rotterdam when they pulled the then rarely played Out of Control and 11 o'clock tick tock.

Yeah, I was disappointed...

I wanted to see Zoo Station, One Tree Hill, 40... maybe even In A Little While

maybe because I'm a New Yorker, maybe because she sang like a bird, but Mary J. Blige brought the house down in the Garden. I swear, I would have never thougth I would enjoy seeing her at a U2 concert. But I did...and so did thousands of others.

Muad'zin said:
You lot only have yourself to blame for getting your hopes up. The closing show of a U2 tour is usually them playing the same shit they play up till then. Final Zoo TV show in Japan? Standard setlist. Final Popmart show in Johannesburg? Standard setlist. Final Elevation show in Miami? Standard setlist.

The only time when they did something special was the final Lovetown show in Rotterdam when they pulled the then rarely played Out of Control and 11 o'clock tick tock.

Elevation Miami had "In God's Country", "People Get Ready" and "My Sweet Lord". None of those were standards for the Elevation tour. So there was some variety at that one.

Regarding the final Lovetown show in Rotterdam. Great show, but the biggest mix up there to me was Slow Dancing. Otherwise it was close to most of the rest of the Lovetown tour setlist wise. I thought the Dublin shows had the better mix ups setlist wise over Rotterdam.

Also, I would say the last shows of the Joshua Tree tour were special. The final in Tempe they did Christmas (Baby Please Come Home) full band. The last "official" show of that tour in Hampton VA they had Larry do "Tequila Sunrise", they also did "Lucille", "11 O'Clock Tick Tock" and "Mothers Of The Disappeared" (which wasnt done hardly at all up to that point.

As far as Hawaii. The only thing that surprised me is that they didnt do One Tree Hill. They do that, and its one of the great setlists of the tour IMO.

Last edited:
Really the difference for me is Wild Horses v One Tree Hill. Luckily I was one of the few who saw OTH live (played only 4 times this tour -twice in NZ, twice in Tokyo). If I had the choice, being so rare, OTH would have been my pick.

But apart from that I would not have been disappointed to hear Wild Horses. Remember, there were a few special songs - Saints are Coming, Rockin in the Free World played with Billy Joe/ Eddie Vedder which no other show on the tour had. But then again, if you asked me if I preferred Bad to either of these, I would have said Yes.

All in all the final show was better than most of the shows on the entire tour, but OTH was what did it for me, so any of the shows that had this song in it (as well as Bad) would have taken the prize.

Last edited:
It was a great show, but All I Want is You as the closer, to me, WAS a bummer. Its a great song and all, but I don't think it packs the same emotitonal wallop as Bad or 40 as a closer. I didn't walk out of Aloha stadium with the same feeling as I have had with either Bad or 40 as a closer.

That being said, it was a good set list, but not a great set list, but it was still a great show, if that makes sense. I really missed the emotion of Miracle Drug, and it definitely needed a NYD, Electric Co, Gloria or Out of Control. This crowd was a bunch of hard cores and playing one or two of these would have brough this from a great show to a phenomenal show. The crowd was ready, it just never came.

Honestly, I really didn't care for Horses, and I LOVE that song. It just didn't sound good because the boys hadn't rehearsed it, and to me it seemed like Larry was pissed off (like that's anyting new :wink: ) as they struggled through it. Instead of that guy having his moment in the sun (he was adorbale, don't get me wrong, I was thrilled for him because he was so excited), I would have loved to have heard a full version of a rehearsed song like NYD or Gloria (then again, I have heard Horses this tour, so maybe if I hadn't I would think differently) I can't tell if Horses replaced a song in the set or it was just an add on. If it was just additional, then great. If it replaced something, I would have preferred to hear the planned song.

I'm being totally critical here, it was a great show overall, totally worth the trip!!

i was not disappointed with the show at all. i got to see "all i want" performed live for the first time (out of 9 shows between popmart and this) and "angel of harlem"...two of my favorites. sure, "bad" would have been great as would "yahweh" and so would acrobat, please, and love is blindness...but whatever.

the performance was great, the crowd was great, the songs were great. and i guess if a band can pull off a great show, complete with feeling and emotion, after 130+ dates, i'm happy with it.

i'd suffer through the travel, the exorbitant hawaii prices of hotel and food, the traffic on friday night (lol)...i'd do it all again!

Muad'zin said:

Like I said, this was my opinion. It wasn't that my "expectations' were for them to actually do a "best of tour" show, it was my hope.

djerdap said:

Yeah, I got it as soon as I read your message again, sorry about that. I just cringe when I hear the name Mary J Blige, pardon me. :wink:

Still, since you are a big PJ fan, you were really stuck on that Eddie Vedder detail. Why not delete the worn out songs like I Will Follow, I Still Haven´t Found or Pride for the highlights of the tour like The Electric Co., One Tree Hill and Zoo Station as a tribute to the fans?

That would for me be much more logical.

As I said, I like the fact that they can collaborate and share the stage with Eddie Vedder, Green Day or whoever. I just thought that as a last show for this amazing tour, one that many fans planned to see but had to cancel and then reschedule, etc, etc, that it would be pure, let in all hang out, spontaneous U2. I would have rather have seen them play with Vedder at another show....just not the last. Again...my opinion....it was still a great show.

i really cant belive people are complaining about all i want is you, closing the show, but yet when it happend in south america people were made up :|

Ideally, 40 or Kite could have closed this. (or Vertigo x2 with Eddie Vedder, Mike McCready and Bille Joe Armstrong)

I have to admit to being a bit disappointed as well. Where were the power songs? UTEOTW, Bad, Kite, Walk On, 40? Ending with All I Want is You wasn't awful, but it didn't leave me feeling all warm and fuzzy. I thought ISHFWILF, The First Time and Angel of Harlem were a big yawn. I'm still not sure why they picked those over so many better choices. The only thing that would have made it worse is if they added "Stuck" in there too. Just my two cents.

Can I imagine a better setlist? Sure.

But there were enough treats and surprises in that final setlist that I can't complain about it.....now where's the bootleg!?!?!?!?!??:)

pepokiss said:
all the world wanted Vertigo2
I expected it. It seemed like if any show was going to get Vertigo2, Honolulu would have been it.

Bad or 40 would have been my preference, but All I Want Is You is a nice closer as well. That didn't bother me.

I really wanted OTH and Kite, but otherwise I'm happy with the setlist we got. Wild Horses was unexpected and pretty exciting.

:lol:

I had no expectations going in. Was just hoping for OTH - that would have been the icing on the cake for me. And I think many of us would have been in tears, literally.
tearsofjoy.gif

And for those who were curious if there were deviations, here's a copy of the setlist Maddy got:

U2setlist12-9-06.jpg

Back
Top Bottom