any reason for almost no 90's songs being played?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoomerang96

ONE love, blood, life
it's absolutely amazing to me how they've gutted everything from the 90's from their setlists.

has there been any interview lately where they've stated WHY they're doing this?

are they really that ashamed of what they did? it's like the 90's have become their ugly stepchild or something.

it's seriously depressing.

Zoomerang96 said:
are they really that ashamed of what they did?

Well, Bono has recently cited Achtung Baby as their best album, and Stay and Please, both '90's tracks, as their best songs.

Re: Re: any reason for almost no 90's songs being played?

financeguy said:

Well, Bono has recently cited Achtung Baby as their best album, and Stay and Please, both '90's tracks, as their best songs.

really? where did you read that? any links available?

Re: Re: Re: any reason for almost no 90's songs being played?

Zoomerang96 said:

really? where did you read that? any links available?

No links, but the comment about Achtung was in an Irish Times interview about 6-9 months ago, and the comments about Please and Stay were in answer to a question by the interviewer in the book 'Bono in Conversation' (the question being along the lines, 'what do you consider U2's best songs?').

then for crying out loud bono, play please!

play achtung baby, even if you've played most of those songs a hundred thousands times each.

what else does he have to say? has anyone posted the whole interview?

i'm banned from pleba.

it's hilarious how they've ditched everything from that era but are willing to bore the crowd to tears with made for clear channel hits including walk on and stuck in a moment..

Gen. Chat said:
They market their latest greatest hits to the casual fan and relive their youth with songs hardcore fans would appreciate. Best of both worlds, don't you think? Discuss.

not even maybe.

Zoomerang96 said:
it's absolutely amazing to me how they've gutted everything from the 90's from their setlists.

has there been any interview lately where they've stated WHY they're doing this?

are they really that ashamed of what they did? it's like the 90's have become their ugly stepchild or something.

it's seriously depressing.

Please has been snippeted numerous times...I think the rest of the 90's stuff is left out because of the theme of the tour. The new stuff just fits it better.

Zoomerang96 said:
i'm banned from pleba.

Sorry but I just have to laugh at this :laugh:

How the *** does someone get banned from PLEBA?

But anyway they haven't 'ditched' everything from the '90's. This is a bit of a myth. They have played Wild Horses, One, Discotheque, even Miss Sarajevo for heavens sakes.

Zoomerang96 said:
yeah, my bono on larry stories were a bit too graphic even for the loonies.

well i hope you havent been banned from all my favorite slash websites

financeguy said:

But anyway they haven't 'ditched' everything from the '90's. This is a bit of a myth. They have played Wild Horses, One, Discotheque, even Miss Sarajevo for heavens sakes.

discoteque doesn't really count anymore, and wild horses is almost never played. and it's always played acoustic too, isn't it? that's a side point, has nothing to do with this discussion, i'm only curious...

two songs tonite from the 90's. that's it. sometimes we get three with the first time.

...huzzah?

financeguy said:

This is true...(he said, half asleep in the latest time zone in North America).

Speaking of PLEBA, I accidentally posted there yesterday...:uhoh:

Gen. Chat said:

"bono, your lips taste like candy," larry said.

"i KNEW you'd like the feist song," bono replied. "i knew it, and that's why i love you the way only i do..."

On both Popmart and Elevation they played more songs from Achtung than from any other album other than the one they were touring in support of. Perhaps such standards like Mysterious Ways, EBTTRT, UTEOTW are being given a rest for now, even the Fly was played nearly every night on Elevation. I don't think we have to worry about AB songs, the band clearly loves that album.

With Zooropa, well, the songs are probably hard to play and don't fit well into a non Zootv theme (with the exceptions of Stay and the First Time).

Still, I don't understand why something like Discotheque, which was simply mindblowingly spectucular in Toronto IV can't see the light of day more often.

Ah, Zoomerang. Only you can have me rolling my eyes and getting ready to type a gripe one minute ... and then give me a good, honest laugh the next.

A row of 7s, 7ust for you.

corianderstem said:
Ah, Zoomerang. Only you can have me rolling my eyes and getting ready to type a gripe one minute ... and then give me a good, honest laugh the next.

A row of 7s, 7ust for you.

:wink:

Lemonfix said:
With Zooropa, well, the songs are probably hard to play and don't fit well into a non Zootv theme (with the exceptions of Stay and the First Time).

Still, I don't understand why something like Discotheque, which was simply mindblowingly spectucular in Toronto IV can't see the light of day more often.
So you find that ALL Zooropa songs (with the exception of Stay and The First Time) don't fit in a non-ZooTV theme, but Discotheque is not a typical Pop theme song? Hmmmm :eyebrow:

Futhermore; They played Zoo-Station... The ultimate ZooTV theme song!

And on top of that; Some Days Are Better Than Others, Dirty Day and The Wanderer have no typical connection with Zoo-TV anyway...

Back
Top Bottom