..and I thought they said they'd never be their own tribute band...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The final proof of what is jarvis saying is the Tokyo III setlist.
Given the history of the band, the last night should be a "party night", with some surprises.

Not here.

Like it has been said before, it seems a bit odd to promote an album that's been released more then 2 years ago. If this final leg hadn't been postponed, we would probably be complaining how they are still playing the same boring setlist they were previously playing. HTDAAB is by now a closed station. They're on their way to the next station. Just like Lovetown was Joshua Tree light, halfway stopover between JT and AB, this mini tour is fun halfway rump between HTDAAB and the next album. Even though it still bares the name Vertigo tour, it's the post-Vertigo tour.

I am happy with the changes this leg.

I had already seen every single U2 song they performed during the 1st three legs (sans Discoteque, Mothers of the Disappeared and Love is Blindness).

In Auckland I got to hear Desire, Angel of Harlem (although I had seen this with the fan in Dallas), Kite and One Tree Hill and a great cover of "The Saints are Coming"

It's been a good tour for me. :wink:

Hopefully they'll play WITS in Hawaii.

Fair comment that there should be more emphasis on U218 than on HTDAAB at this point in the tour.
Lets not forget that on this leg... none of the cities played got the elevation tour, so counting ATYCLB material, there are 8-9 songs that have never been played in these places before. Brisbane and Syndey 1 got as many as 10 songs from ATYCLB,HTDAAB and The Saints are coming. So to call them a greates hits band or a tribute band on the basis of these dates is wrong. Had there not been the extra ATYCLB tracks each night as well as TSAC/WITS... im sure there would have been more HTDAAB material (Yahweh, OOTS, maybe even ABOY).

Im sure the tour promoting the next album will not have just 3-4 new songs in the set like this leg...

This is picky setlist analysis taken too far. Australia, NZ and Japan haven't seen U2 in either 8 or 13 years depending on the city. We were happy just for them to come and play. I loved the shows I saw and didn't mind for one moment that it was the U218 tour. I really don't see the problem at all. Like someone else said we never got the Elevation tour so there were many songs in the setlist that had never been played in these countries before. But to the picky setlist analysts this is considered "boring". If so then I wish U2 would come to my part of the world more often and do more "boring" shows.

It's all about what Earnie said, jarvis. Everything they are playing is better than what's not left on Bomb. Miracle Drug and ABOY are not that good.

The only missing piece in OOTS, but it's not too good when not played in full, so I think it's a fine left off too.

phillyfan26 said:
It's all about what Earnie said, jarvis. Everything they are playing is better than what's not left on Bomb. Miracle Drug and ABOY are not that good.

The only missing piece in OOTS, but it's not too good when not played in full, so I think it's a fine left off too.

:up:

Vertigo, Sometimes, and City of Blinding Lights were going to be keepers for future tours anyways, plus they're successful singles.

I think Windows replaced Original's setlist spot, they're too similar to be played in the same show.

Plus, any show with Bad, Until the End of the World, The Fly, Mysterious Ways, Beautiful Day, and One Tree Hill kicks ass, so the complaining SHOULD stop.

But it won't because they still haven't played Ito Okashi :grumpy:

U2girl said:
But they're not playing Zooropa or Pop :scream: *whine*

Yeah really.

Most of the Zooropa songs live just weren't that good, Dirty Day, Stay, and Daddy's Gonna Pay... nonwithstanding.

Pop however, almost all of those songs were about 10x better than the album versions.

The only good live songs from Zooropa were Dirty Day and Zooropa (which they didn't like, but I thought worked, with the exception of skipping the first half of the song).

Pop sucked on studio but was pretty good live.

LemonMacPhisto said:
Pop however, almost all of those songs were about 10x better than the album versions.

yeah...that`s right.
Especially Please , Gone , Mofo and Last Night those were:drool: live

I also thought that Do You Feel Loved sounded kinda cool live.
They should`ve worked more on that one?

Cheers ,

Mauwer

Last edited:
To be a fan of U2 is to LIKE them! If you bought tickets for the show, you're a fan. Period. Why are the lines between hardcoredom and casual so thick?

I was once a "casual" fan with only the best hits. We were all casual fans at one point. I know some longtime fans that just don't have the means to make it to a show.Some just can't afford it.

When I finally got to see them last year on the third leg of the tour for the first time, I was heartbroken that New Year's day and Mysterious Ways wasn't played. MW was my favorite song as a little girl.

There will always be new fans and seriously, who cares if someone wasn't a fan since WAR or don't know the band members family history. (example)

If they want to play Pride or One or SBS forever, good for them!
They will always have new fans or longtime fans seeing them for the first time ... its not their fault some people are able to see them 38+ times and get bored with the setlist

Back
Top Bottom