A rarity that we may see on tour.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Axver

Vocal parasite
Hey folks,

As I am sure most of you know, 2005 is a celebratory year for U2, the 25th anniversary of their association with Island Records. Well, I was thinking about this, and I realised something. The specific date of their first release on Island Records is 23 May 1980. What was released on that date? A single. What single? ELEVEN O'CLOCK TICK TOCK.

For that reason, I predict that 11 O'clock Tick Tock will be featured in U2's setlists this tour, almost certainly at the New York and Boston dates that surround the anniversary date.

As this is my favourite U2 song and I will (hopefully) be attending those shows around the 23rd, I sincerely hope I am right!

Have a good one,
André

By the way, a little history of 11 O'clock Tick Tock live for those of you who don't know and would appreciate some useless knowledge:

11 O'clock Tick Tock was first played live under the name Silver Lining, and by the middle of 1980, it had taken on its best-known form (the version with two solos as featured on UABRS as opposed to the single solo version on the single). It was a regular on the Boy Tour and subsequent tours for the first half of the decade. On the Boy Tour, it would sometimes both open AND close shows, and if not, it would still often be featured twice. It was also regularly preceded or succeeded by The Ocean at the start and conclusion of shows - the two songs worked extremely well in tandem.

On the October Tour, it relinquished its spot at the beginning of the setlist, and for the October, Pre-War, War, and Under Australian Skies Tours, it was a centrepiece of the encore. It was one of U2's most popular live songs, and when The Unforgettable Fire Tour commenced in Europe, it soon found itself in the opening position, which it held for almost every show on the tour. It currently ranks as U2's fourth most prolific opener and fourteenth most prolifically played song.

Although 11 O'clock Tick Tock initially appeared to have been cut for good after the UF Tour, it made a sudden and unexpected reappearance at the third-last show of the Joshua Tree Tour, 12 December 1987, Hampton. It then appeared twice on Lovetown, 30 December 1989 in Dublin and 10 January 1990 in Rotterdam. All three times, it appeared in the form of the single with only one solo. However, after this, it really did seem gone for good. I have heard rumours that it was proposed as a song for MacPhisto to sing on ZooTV and was rehearsed at a German Popmart soundcheck, but that is completely unconfirmed.

11 O'clock Tick Tock seems to be a song that refuses to die. On 5 December 2000, it appeared in the encore of an ATYCLB Promo Tour concert, and was then featured in the main set of the promo gig at the Astoria in London. On the Elevation Tour proper, it was played four times in the USA and three times in Europe. The last time it was performed was on 21 August 2001 in London, at the emotional gig the night after Bono's father passed away.

I wish it could happen, 11 O'clock Tick Tock (what a lame title! I know the history behind it, but it still sounds lame for me :p) is my favourite song after Sunday Bloody Sunday and I Will Follow from the first-three-albums era. I also like when they were playing part of it during Bullet The Blue Sky in the 80's.

I love this song, it would definitely be one of my first set list wishes.

Of course, there was the Chicago gig last time where Bono said in the intro "This is our first single on Island Records", and the band launched into the song.

Except Edge and Adam's guitars were a 1/2 step out of tune with each other, leading to hilarious consequences.

Dallas Schoo got Edge a properly tuned guitar, and Bono said "That was our first single on Island Records...this is our second" or something like that.

Sounds like I need to get the Chicago bootleg! I have a couple of the Elevation concerts featuring 11 O'clock Tick Tock but not that one. The performance at the third Boston show is wonderful. Definitely not as good as in the glory days of the song, but immensely enjoyable nonetheless.

Zooropean103 said:
I've always regreted that 11 O'clock was not released on Boy...

Same here. I think it would have been really good between The Electric Co. and Shadows And Tall Trees.

Yahweh_OMG said:
It might come back, yes..... by the way, thanks for the story Axver, some of the new fans should know the history behind this unbelievable song!!!:drool:

Glad to post the story. :) I love this song so much, it was such a wonderful element of U2's earlier setlists. Whether it was opening or closing a show, it was sensational.

It might come back, but I hope they do a more powerfull and not so slow as the elevation version

Boy would be a much better record if it featured Tick Tock, the best song from that era. I would love to see it again in a rocking rendition.

Back
Top Bottom