A.B.O.Y. M.I.A.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

broken toy

The Fly
To my dismay, All Because of You has been played just twice (Nov. 28 & Dec. 4) in the last 12 shows (that's as of Dec. 12).

What gives? Are they just getting too bushed to rock out at the end of the show?

I'm very surprised they're giving up on one of the few really up-tempo HTDAAB songs... and I'm also somewhat puzzled that after finally digging it out that they haven't played Crumbs more than a handful of times.

Here's hoping for both in Portland (along with Out of Control, and a Christmas, Baby Please Come Home for good measure). :lol:

I know most people are fond of ABOY, but I thought it rocked live. It surprised me after reading what others have said. I wish they would have kept in the set. Acoustic Yahweh on the other hand...

maybe they are realizing the song just isnt that good...though i doubt it....personally, im glad to see it go...although dec. 4 boston it sounded good

rock888nwo said:
maybe they are realizing the song just isnt that good...though i doubt it....personally, im glad to see it go...although dec. 4 boston it sounded good

Never heard it live but it just doesn't seem to flow that great with the lyrics but i thought the guitar riffs rocked the song. I don't think we'll be seeing much more of it except during the BCS Bowl Games.

I think the live version was much, much better than the album version, and I actually enjoyed it a lot. That said, I don't mind them dropping it as long as it's actually REPLACED BY SOMETHING! Instant Karma was in that space for a few shows, including the Cleveland show I attended, and now that's been dropped....something needs to go there!

(Another reason that I don't like the idea of ABOY being dropped is that I don't like the thought of U2 as one of those bands who start out playing a bunch of their new songs and then drop them gradually as the tour progresses...)

I think ABOY is good but I never liked it so late in the set. I alwasy thought it should've been closer to the start, say after Elevation. Anyways I give a huge thumbs up to the idea of Christmas(Baby PLease Come Home). If they do that, it'll rock!!!!!:up: :up:

its THE worst song they've ever written. those lyrics are just terrible. is it really from the same person who wrote such beautiful lyrics as on JT and AB?

i'd be the happiest person on earth if they never played it again!

bono_man said:
its THE worst song they've ever written. those lyrics are just terrible. is it really from the same person who wrote such beautiful lyrics as on JT and AB?

Erased "Miami, my mammy" from your memory, eh? :wink:

hehe...

I actually like Miami alot! I think its wierd and cool.

ABOY is just MOR crap! :huh:

All Because of You was played in the no man's land of the 2nd encore and would've been a better fit in the first set of songs like Boston IV and Croke III

and from personal experience, it wasn't all that special either :|

Lemonfix said:

(Another reason that I don't like the idea of ABOY being dropped is that I don't like the thought of U2 as one of those bands who start out playing a bunch of their new songs and then drop them gradually as the tour progresses...)

They have been since the Zoo tour, it's nothing new.

The third leg of Vertigo has had more HTDAAB songs than the first two legs.

All Because if You is the best song LYRICALLY on the album, IMHO.

"I saw you in the curve of the moon, in the shadows cast across my room. You heard me inside my tune when I just heard confusion..."

I didn't like the live version earlier in the tour, but Bono's vocal got a lot better after a while.

I'm okay with them dropping it, but as others have said ONLY if they replace it with another new song.

Axver said:
The third leg of Vertigo has had more HTDAAB songs than the first two legs.

Until the New York shows (I recall), sure. However, then ABOY started to disappear, Fast Cars became a real rarity, Miracle Drug became even rarer...

On Outside Broadcast, Wild Horses was dropped in favor of New Years Day...on Popmart If God Will Send, DYFL, and Miami all disappeared by the end of the tour, on Elevation, In A Little While and The Ground Beneath Her Feet were dropped and I would bet New York would have been dust too by the third leg if 9-11 hadn't happened. It just seems to be the trend....

Though they are still better about it than REM were on their last tour, at the beginning they were playing 8 or 9 new songs per night, by the last shows it was only 3.

On Outside Broadcast, Wild Horses was dropped in favor of New Years Day...on Popmart If God Will Send, DYFL, and Miami all disappeared by the end of the tour, on Elevation, In A Little While and The Ground Beneath Her Feet were dropped and I would bet New York would have been dust too by the third leg if 9-11 hadn't happened. It just seems to be the trend....

The first two Popmart songs you mentioned were barely played live though, with a new arrangement, they could have survived a lot longer.

Also, I think New York would have survived for the third leg, as it was the best part of the Elevation Tour.

bono_man said:

Count me in too. Also I think if they´re looking for a song that "rocks" live, they´d go with tunes that blow ABOY on the water, like Mofo :drool:

ABOY was supposed to be in the St. Louis setlist, but ended up getting dropped. Though I can't say I missed it all that much.

ABOY rocks and it's a shame that they're not playing it. Opening the second encore with ABOY is a great idea. It really catches people off guard, they're not expecting a song so hard at that point anymore (not that that they don't want it). I really hope they play it in the fourth leg and I really hope they play it in future tours!

Chizip said:
ABOY was supposed to be in the St. Louis setlist, but ended up getting dropped. Though I can't say I missed it all that much.

Was it? Man. How do you know this? During the 6-hour drive to St. Louis, I asked my wife what song she wanted to hear that night? You guessed it. She still had fun, though.

Yeah, they passed out some of the extra setlists to the people around me after the show, so I saw that. It had ABOY listed after Instant Karma but I guess they decided to drop it. A 5 song second encore would have been unusual.

I was really hoping to hear Miracle Drug at the Cleveland show. I agree that All Because Of You should be dropped in favor of better songs such as Fast Cars, or even Gone. Those songs are freakin' sweet in my opinion! Their decision of not playing any songs from Pop just blows my mind... maybe i'm just a part of the minority that appreciates that album.

"Instant Karma" > "ABOY"

Now, I haven't heard U2's version yet, but still.....

All Because of You was played at our concert in Miami, and it really rocked. I enjoyed it, I don't see the hate against it.

all because of you kicks ass and is the closest u2 are going to get to "rock and roll" straight up, isnt that what all of interference wanted last year?

Back
Top Bottom