40 ends the 2nd leg and Portugal show...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well (as I said in another thread) I saw a U2 tribute band recently and even they started and ended with Vertigo.

But the main point is (end of show or whatever):- why play a song twice when there are so many others to choose from?

Nevertheless I would rather see U2 play a song twice than go to see any other band on the planet. This is a very tiny moan!

vertigo x two = ass.

playing the same song twice in one show, repeatedly throughout a tour is completely lamegorillaballs.

Zoomerang96 said:
vertigo x two = ass.

playing the same song twice in one show, repeatedly throughout a tour is completely lamegorillaballs.

Who's the guy in your avatar now? :scratch:

I think 40 is going to show up from time to time for special ocasions, like at a third gig in a town. I'm not sure if Vertigo is going to be used as the closer for this leg like on the second leg, maybe just from time to time too. As much as I would love a full band version of Yahweh closing the show I think they will continue to play the acoustic version. So I have no idea which song will be the closer. Bad? They haven't used it as the closer since the first leg so I don't think so even though i would love that. Elecrical Storm? I would love that too but I just hope they play the song.

I think that if you're gonna use "40" at all, you definitely need to close with it. The transition from "40" back into Vertigo would absolutely suck. Think about it.

Personally I'd go with Vertigo 2x. Usually by the 2nd Vertigo everybody is on such an energy rush that they're singing along. If you finish up with...say...All Because Of You, then you go into Yahweh, then maybe Party Girl, nobody is gonna want the pace to slow down dramatically, no matter what song it is.

Theedge070 said:
I think that if you're gonna use "40" at all, you definitely need to close with it. The transition from "40" back into Vertigo would absolutely suck. Think about it.

no way

i saw that tranisition in NJ1, and it was EASILY the best transition. it was completely unexpected, and definitly on a whim. bono, edge, adam all left, larry started up his little drum solo, everybody was singing "how long to sing this song" then all of a sudden you see bono's head pop out and larry rips into the vertigo drum beat , and the whole place just went absoultly nuts.

StlElevation said:

no way

i saw that tranisition in NJ1, and it was EASILY the best transition. it was completely unexpected, and definitly on a whim. bono, edge, adam all left, larry started up his little drum solo, everybody was singing "how long to sing this song" then all of a sudden you see bono's head pop out and larry rips into the vertigo drum beat , and the whole place just went absoultly nuts.

Yea you're right, i was there too, it was nuts. But i think if U2 did that on a regular basis, it wouldn't be as nuts because it wouldn't be as spontaneous. (For us die-hards who follow the setlist every night :wink:)

Personally i think Vertigo is not a good closer if it is not spontaneous. It is too shallow of a song to be a regular closer. Yes, once in a while it can pop up, everyone can enjoy it. But I prefer more intimate closers like 40 or Bad. I even think Out of Control would be an amazing closer, especially for this tour since it is very "Boyish." :wink:

Last edited:
StlElevation said:

no way

Oh, well if you put it that way as a spontaneous pop-up, then it's much better, yeah. I meant if they all stood there on stage and the crowd was singing the "How long" part, and then Larry rips into Vertigo, it's not as smooth. Because if they stand there, you know there's still something to come, but if they leave, you presume the show is over, but you're treated to a surprise.

Back
Top Bottom