3rd leg encore - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > U2 Vertigo Tour Central 2004 / 2005 / 2006 Archive > U2 Setlists
Click Here to Login

Old 10-26-2005, 02:05 AM   #1
War Child

Local Time: 08:48 PM
3rd leg encore

Am I the only one who feels that the encore of the 3rd leg is somewhat disappointing?

Sure The First Time and Stuck In A Moment (and Walk On) are great songs... But it's not what you'de expect of a encore!

I really liked the Zoo-Station / The Fly encores of the 2nd leg!

Another thing that I find strange is that people didn't like the 2nd leg very much because of the same setlists every night... I see the same thing happening on the 3rd leg.. Only slight changes, but overal the identical setlist of the 2nd leg (only with a lesser Encore)...

Old 10-26-2005, 03:47 AM   #2
The Fly

Local Time: 02:18 AM
From what I can make out after chatting(IM) with people who've been to the show that shows may seem boring while reading in text, but once there its a totally different universe.

Old 10-26-2005, 04:04 AM   #3
Jim
Refugee

Local Time: 09:48 PM
I agree with jacknife.. I was gutted that they dropped the Zoo section and replaced it with of all things 'The First Time' and 'Stuck' but when I went to the first MSG show, the encore was very powerful, particularly TFT when Bono and Edge walk up either end of the ellipse and meet in the middle.
Old 10-26-2005, 04:07 AM   #4
Refugee

Local Time: 08:48 PM
I wouldnt call including the first time, bad ,crumbs, fast cars in the encore dissapointing.

I do agree however that Zoostation /the fly were total highlights(ehh..like many other things) in the 2nd leg. Very powerful and "showy" songs. And i also think that in stadiums the more mellow encore wouldnt work as great as in the smaller arenas although Bad works anywhere (one of my favorite live songs can you tell.. ). But the encores do change more ,which is a cool thing, and aren't dissapointing IMO.

I agree with Jacknife that reading the setlist textwise is completely different than when your actually there (or have a live stream ). the experience you get when you are there is probably also very (if not more) depending on other thing like where you stand/sit, sound of the arena, friends youre with or people you meet (not to mention all the plebans who got on stage....they are like an army now).
Old 10-26-2005, 08:47 AM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 04:48 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by jacknife23
From what I can make out after chatting(IM) with people who've been to the show that shows may seem boring while reading in text, but once there its a totally different universe.
This is absolutely true. Standing two feet from Bono & Edge while they do an acoustic Stuck is an unbelievable experience. Bono really puts some soul into the performance & when you can see it in his face--it's awesome. The only reason you may not enjoy it is if you let your setlist thoughts keep you from paying attention to the show.

That said, I just watched one of the Amsterdam boot videos....and IMO, while The Fly & Zoo Station were very cool in terms of the light show, the performances didn't really rock out as much as I'd expected... Then again, I wasn't there to see them in person..
Old 10-26-2005, 09:02 AM   #6
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Utoo

This is absolutely true. Standing two feet from Bono & Edge while they do an acoustic Stuck is an unbelievable experience. Bono really puts some soul into the performance & when you can see it in his face--it's awesome. The only reason you may not enjoy it is if you let your setlist thoughts keep you from paying attention to the show.
I can think of another reason...
I think stuck is the worst u2 song of the last 20 years.
Old 10-26-2005, 09:16 AM   #7
War Child

Location: Hellas, and God knows where else you 've got your tape recorders turned on...
Local Time: 10:48 PM
I was very dissapointed every time I attended a setlist party and seeing that they played Vertigo twice in the European shows...But when you walk to the stadium of your concert (mine was the Olympic Stadium of Rome) you forget everything...

P.S. Vertigo at the end rocks..!!!!!!
Old 10-26-2005, 12:12 PM   #8
War Child

Local Time: 03:48 PM
I think after experiencing the 3rd leg encore in person it has definitley changed my opinon of it. I do miss the Zoo TV encore but I have to admit The First Time and Stuck or Walk On are very good live. I really like the acoustic version of The First Time and it is great how the crowd starts chanting towards the end of the song. The crowd at MSG really got into the song.
Old 10-26-2005, 01:44 PM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

i was at the first show where they dropped the rocking encores, so i didnt know to expect it, and even though we got an amazing version of bad, i have to say i was pretty disappointed that they didnt play the rockers. especially after seeing amazing versions of discotheque and the fly the night before, the show just didnt seem complete without them.
Old 10-26-2005, 01:56 PM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Its interesting how much people dislike the encore now. I have to say I like it, but I like the rocking encore also. My wish is they would alternate them.

One of my friends went to his only U2 show for this tour with me on monday. His reaction and I didnt even set it up. He said, "I thought the setlist flowed very well".
Old 10-26-2005, 04:38 PM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

It's kind of interesting that this is the first time since the 80's that theyve opened the encore with a slower song.

Elevation's encore opened with Bullet
Popmart's encore opened with HMTMKMKM
ZooTv's encore opened with a rocking Desire or Daddy's Gonna Pay
LoveTown encores opened up with the BB King orchestra

All upbeat, rocking type songs to begin the first encore.
Old 10-26-2005, 04:38 PM   #12
Refugee

Local Time: 09:48 PM
Re: 3rd leg encore

Quote:
Originally posted by Neilz
Am I the only one who feels that the encore of the 3rd leg is somewhat disappointing?

Sure The First Time and Stuck In A Moment (and Walk On) are great songs... But it's not what you'de expect of a encore!

I really liked the Zoo-Station / The Fly encores of the 2nd leg!

Another thing that I find strange is that people didn't like the 2nd leg very much because of the same setlists every night... I see the same thing happening on the 3rd leg.. Only slight changes, but overal the identical setlist of the 2nd leg (only with a lesser Encore)...
While the main set has been quite static for all three legs (except for Miss Sarajevo replacing RTSS), I actually think the encore has changed quite a lot for this leg. We have already seen 7 new songs:

Fast Cars, In A Little While, Discotheque, The First Time, Walk On, Crumbs, Stuck In A Moment.

While in Europe, the encore was the "Zoo TV trio", the encore has now turned into something of an acoustic set.
Old 10-26-2005, 05:17 PM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by Chizip
It's kind of interesting that this is the first time since the 80's that theyve opened the encore with a slower song.

Elevation's encore opened with Bullet
Popmart's encore opened with HMTMKMKM
ZooTv's encore opened with a rocking Desire or Daddy's Gonna Pay
LoveTown encores opened up with the BB King orchestra

All upbeat, rocking type songs to begin the first encore.
They are trying something different I guess. Isnt that what most people were calling for just a few months ago? Variation, just like you said they are doing something they have never done before. They obviously like it, and I think that may be why, its different.
Old 10-26-2005, 06:15 PM   #14
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Blue Room

They are trying something different I guess. Isnt that what most people were calling for just a few months ago? Variation, just like you said they are doing something they have never done before. They obviously like it, and I think that may be why, its different.
I agree, and they will never make everyone happy.

the only complaint i have is the acoustic songs make me feel like i got cheated a little. i think first time is great, but walk on (although a great song) is pretty lame (imo) acoustically. I guess it doesn't matter so much with stuck in a moment b/c its lame no matter how they play that one. Something different is nice, the chance for the unknown in the encore is still cool, but i would rather hear the same old songs by the full band than rally weak acoustic versions.
Old 10-27-2005, 02:40 PM   #15
The Fly

I think you have to see the encore in person to really appreciate it. While part of me wishes they would have played the Achtung songs(Since it is my fav. U2 album), the encore was amazing and the crowd ate it up.