3rd leg encore

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Neilz

War Child
Am I the only one who feels that the encore of the 3rd leg is somewhat disappointing?

Sure The First Time and Stuck In A Moment (and Walk On) are great songs... But it's not what you'de expect of a encore!

I really liked the Zoo-Station / The Fly encores of the 2nd leg!

Another thing that I find strange is that people didn't like the 2nd leg very much because of the same setlists every night... I see the same thing happening on the 3rd leg.. Only slight changes, but overal the identical setlist of the 2nd leg (only with a lesser Encore)...

From what I can make out after chatting(IM) with people who've been to the show that shows may seem boring while reading in text, but once there its a totally different universe.

I agree with jacknife.. I was gutted that they dropped the Zoo section and replaced it with of all things 'The First Time' and 'Stuck' but when I went to the first MSG show, the encore was very powerful, particularly TFT when Bono and Edge walk up either end of the ellipse and meet in the middle.

I wouldnt call including the first time, bad :drool: ,crumbs, fast cars in the encore dissapointing.

I do agree however that Zoostation /the fly were total highlights(ehh..like many other things) in the 2nd leg. Very powerful and "showy" songs. And i also think that in stadiums the more mellow encore wouldnt work as great as in the smaller arenas although Bad :drool: works anywhere (one of my favorite live songs can you tell..:wink: ). But the encores do change more ,which is a cool thing, and aren't dissapointing IMO.

I agree with Jacknife that reading the setlist textwise is completely different than when your actually there (or have a live stream :D ). the experience you get when you are there is probably also very (if not more) depending on other thing like where you stand/sit, sound of the arena, friends youre with or people you meet (not to mention all the plebans who got on stage....they are like an army now).

jacknife23 said:
From what I can make out after chatting(IM) with people who've been to the show that shows may seem boring while reading in text, but once there its a totally different universe.

This is absolutely true. Standing two feet from Bono & Edge while they do an acoustic Stuck is an unbelievable experience. Bono really puts some soul into the performance & when you can see it in his face--it's awesome. The only reason you may not enjoy it is if you let your setlist thoughts keep you from paying attention to the show.

That said, I just watched one of the Amsterdam boot videos....and IMO, while The Fly & Zoo Station were very cool in terms of the light show, the performances didn't really rock out as much as I'd expected... Then again, I wasn't there to see them in person.. :shrug:

Utoo said:

This is absolutely true. Standing two feet from Bono & Edge while they do an acoustic Stuck is an unbelievable experience. Bono really puts some soul into the performance & when you can see it in his face--it's awesome. The only reason you may not enjoy it is if you let your setlist thoughts keep you from paying attention to the show.

I can think of another reason...
I think stuck is the worst u2 song of the last 20 years.

I was very dissapointed every time I attended a setlist party and seeing that they played Vertigo twice in the European shows...But when you walk to the stadium of your concert (mine was the Olympic Stadium of Rome) you forget everything...

P.S. Vertigo at the end rocks..!!!!!! :rockon:

I think after experiencing the 3rd leg encore in person it has definitley changed my opinon of it. I do miss the Zoo TV encore but I have to admit The First Time and Stuck or Walk On are very good live. I really like the acoustic version of The First Time and it is great how the crowd starts chanting towards the end of the song. The crowd at MSG really got into the song.

i was at the first show where they dropped the rocking encores, so i didnt know to expect it, and even though we got an amazing version of bad, i have to say i was pretty disappointed that they didnt play the rockers. especially after seeing amazing versions of discotheque and the fly the night before, the show just didnt seem complete without them.

Its interesting how much people dislike the encore now. I have to say I like it, but I like the rocking encore also. My wish is they would alternate them.

One of my friends went to his only U2 show for this tour with me on monday. His reaction and I didnt even set it up. He said, "I thought the setlist flowed very well". :shrug:

It's kind of interesting that this is the first time since the 80's that theyve opened the encore with a slower song.

Elevation's encore opened with Bullet
Popmart's encore opened with HMTMKMKM
ZooTv's encore opened with a rocking Desire or Daddy's Gonna Pay
LoveTown encores opened up with the BB King orchestra

All upbeat, rocking type songs to begin the first encore.

Neilz said:
Am I the only one who feels that the encore of the 3rd leg is somewhat disappointing?

Sure The First Time and Stuck In A Moment (and Walk On) are great songs... But it's not what you'de expect of a encore!

I really liked the Zoo-Station / The Fly encores of the 2nd leg!

Another thing that I find strange is that people didn't like the 2nd leg very much because of the same setlists every night... I see the same thing happening on the 3rd leg.. Only slight changes, but overal the identical setlist of the 2nd leg (only with a lesser Encore)...

While the main set has been quite static for all three legs (except for Miss Sarajevo replacing RTSS), I actually think the encore has changed quite a lot for this leg. We have already seen 7 new songs:

Fast Cars, In A Little While, Discotheque, The First Time, Walk On, Crumbs, Stuck In A Moment.

While in Europe, the encore was the "Zoo TV trio", the encore has now turned into something of an acoustic set.

Chizip said:
It's kind of interesting that this is the first time since the 80's that theyve opened the encore with a slower song.

Elevation's encore opened with Bullet
Popmart's encore opened with HMTMKMKM
ZooTv's encore opened with a rocking Desire or Daddy's Gonna Pay
LoveTown encores opened up with the BB King orchestra

All upbeat, rocking type songs to begin the first encore.

They are trying something different I guess. Isnt that what most people were calling for just a few months ago? Variation, just like you said they are doing something they have never done before. They obviously like it, and I think that may be why, its different.

Blue Room said:

They are trying something different I guess. Isnt that what most people were calling for just a few months ago? Variation, just like you said they are doing something they have never done before. They obviously like it, and I think that may be why, its different.

I agree, and they will never make everyone happy.

the only complaint i have is the acoustic songs make me feel like i got cheated a little. i think first time is great, but walk on (although a great song) is pretty lame (imo) acoustically. I guess it doesn't matter so much with stuck in a moment b/c its lame no matter how they play that one. Something different is nice, the chance for the unknown in the encore is still cool, but i would rather hear the same old songs by the full band than rally weak acoustic versions.

I think you have to see the encore in person to really appreciate it. While part of me wishes they would have played the Achtung songs(Since it is my fav. U2 album), the encore was amazing and the crowd ate it up.

Blue Room said:

I for one never complained about variaty, its quality that concerns me. U2's catalog is full of great songs but their attempt at changing things up has been a bit disappointing. I mean, I think we can all think of 10 songs that aren't regulars and that we like better than Miss Sarajevo ; RTSS comes to mind! Same can be said for The Ocean or Stuck.
Honestly, It has to be the "worst" encore from any U2 tour I can remember! (obviously when I say worst, its relative since its good just not great!):tsk:
The only true heavyweights from that part of the show is WOWY and Bad ( IF you're lucky).
I think that my biggest issue is that for Cities like mine, who didn't see U2 in the 1st leg, are getting the B-version of the Vertigo tour. How could they replace a song like RTSS, which is so universaly loved by U2 fans, SO great live, and so seldomly played live for MS!
And taking out the great Achung songs for some of the lesser liked songs on the Bomb! Come on!! Encores aren't supposed to be filled with acoustic sets! Its' supposed to be the final punch that sends you home full of adrenalin not melatonin!:wink:

I really hope that during that mini-break after Vegas, they make some changes.:sigh:

Last edited:
Wait, salim, I thought you hadnt seen the Vertigo tour yet?

If you havent, how do you know the encore is awful, or a "B" Version? I just dont think you can judge how good a show was simply by looking at the setlist. :shrug:

Blue Room said:
Wait, salim, I thought you hadnt seen the Vertigo tour yet?

If you havent, how do you know the encore is awful, or a "B" Version? I just dont think you can judge how good a show was simply by looking at the setlist. :shrug:

No no, I never said awful! I'm sure it will be good. It's just that I've heard boots from the 1st & 3rd leg and liked the 1st leg encore much better, sound quality wasn't the best though.

You have to admit, the setlist does give you an idea since there are songs that the majority of U2 fans love over other songs and which, therefore, are "funner" because of crowd participation. No?

salim117 said:

How could they replace a song like RTSS, which is so universaly loved by U2 fans, SO great live, and so seldomly played live for MS!
And taking out the great Achung songs for some of the lesser liked songs on the Bomb! Come on!! Encores aren't supposed to be filled with acoustic sets! Its' supposed to be the final punch that sends you home full of adrenalin not melatonin!:wink:

It all comes down to personal opinion, but I am fully with you here. I personally think Miss Sarajevo is like playing a bad b-side. I know it was on the greatest hits (for reasons I have never understood- maybe trying to validate the passengers experiment?) , but essentially it is a side project song that is soo boring. I think it should be reserved for multiple night stands, and thats it- I really don't see how it ever became a regular stelist staple.

I agree fully with the idea that variety is NOT better when its for the likes of stuck and walk one acoustically. I really loved walk on during elevation, but now- I can do without it. I liked hearing the ocean, but I still am puzzled at their including that one. I guess some people really enjoy the acoustic type encore, and the band obviously enjoy playing it- but I do think its legitimate to feel let down after the first leg encores.

jphelmet said:

I agree fully with the idea that variety is NOT better when its for the likes of stuck and walk one acoustically. I really loved walk on during elevation, but now- I can do without it. I liked hearing the ocean, but I still am puzzled at their including that one. I guess some people really enjoy the acoustic type encore, and the band obviously enjoy playing it- but I do think its legitimate to feel let down after the first leg encores.

Exactly!:mad:
I mean, don't they see how the crowd energy level drop dramaticaly when the Ocean is played?
I'm going to both Miami shows and I pray they change it up for ONE night at least.

Fair enough, its all about personal preference. I like the third leg shows as much as the first leg. I can understand some disappointment if you didnt get to see the first leg with Zoo Station and Running. But if it was the other way around there would be people saying the same thing in reverse. "I wish I could have heard The First Time", etc.

I actually agree with some of it. I also would rather have Running over Miss Sarajevo. But some people love it when Bono does the opera part. At least they broke out some cool stuff on the third leg. Crumbs and Fast Cars are great live IMO.

U2girl said:
Seems like anytime U2 tries variety they get shot down for it.

part of the problem goes back to their not liking to rehearse. they end up trying to put in some variety but they have to do it in acoustic versions, because they haven't rehearsed enough to pull off really good full band versions. A perfect example is the first night they played walk on. It was absolutely dreadful, simply because they had not properly rehearsed it.
the large majority of their catalog, would take them rehearsing fairly extensively.

U2girl said:
Seems like anytime U2 tries variety they get shot down for it.

Please...:rolleyes:

No one is shooting anyone down! You need to relax and be a bit less over-reactive! We all love U2 and will enjoy the concert regardless! But we can still bitch and moan about the setlist "a priori"! That's part of what the "U2 Setlist" Discussion board is for!

Well, discussing it is fine. But actually saying you like to bitch about it is puzzling to me. Each their own. I got into U2 because it was a positive thing. I guess other people have different reasons.

I think the band worked on plenty of full band songs and continues to do so. But they go with what they like and what they feel fits the flow of the setlist and is enjoyable for them to play as well.

The only reason Walk On was screwed up the first time it was done was because Bono forgot the lyrics. Something he does all the time, even with songs they have played and rehearsed thoroughly.

Blue Room said:
Well, discussing it is fine. But actually saying you like to bitch about it is puzzling to me. Each their own. I got into U2 because it was a positive thing. I guess other people have different reasons.

I never said that I liked to bitch. Just that that was all I was doing.

jphelmet said:
A perfect example is the first night they played walk on. It was absolutely dreadful, simply because they had not properly rehearsed it.

This is something I don't understand. Why do they need to rehearse a song they played over and over and over again for nearly a year only a couple of years ago? Do they forget how the songs go that quickly? I guess since I'm not a musician I must be missing something.:shrug:

salim117 said:

Please...:rolleyes:

No one is shooting anyone down! You need to relax and be a bit less over-reactive! We all love U2 and will enjoy the concert regardless! But we can still bitch and moan about the setlist "a priori"! That's part of what the "U2 Setlist" Discussion board is for!

Well...fans say they want change (at the same time drooling over the biggest rehash of the tour)

band plays Boy songs on first leg, fans moan about Ocean and Into the heart and An cat dubh

band adds Miss Sarajevo on second leg, fans moan

band adds a new encore, fans moan

U2girl said:

Well...fans say they want change (at the same time drooling over the biggest rehash of the tour)

band plays Boy songs on first leg, fans moan about Ocean and Into the heart and An cat dubh

band adds Miss Sarajevo on second leg, fans moan

band adds a new encore, fans moan

you know this kind of argument is really the lamest and useless point people can make. u2 has a huge fan base with many types of fans that will want different things. so to say "well fans wanted that" and then "well fans wanted that" as your argument is pretty stupid because there are going to be a lot of fans that want this and a lot of other fans that want that. so saying that really adds nothing to the discussion.

Back
Top Bottom