26-5 Boston: Out Of Control/WOWY Controversy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

timothius

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
I'm suprised this hasn't torn the setlist community in two, turning father against son, and son against.... uh... sister. But I see it has gained no attention!

Now at the beginning of Out Of Control on 26-5 Boston, Adam plays the WOWY bassline with the WOWY sample looping in the background for a good 10 seconds. From there they head straight into OOC.

My question of this setlist-guru's: Does WOWY gain the coveted snippet status? Or do mistakes such as this not get recognised in the setlist?

It will be a few days before the Grand Lord Of Setlists Axver will be able to deliver a ruling so until then... what do you think?

:shrug:

Last edited:
It sounded to me like Adam was starting to play WOWY when Bono suddenly tossed in OOC, causing confusion. I wouldn't call that a snippet, especially since WOWY was played in its entirety immediately following OOC.

WOWY was played immediately after.....Bono changed the setlist in midstream and Adam did not get the message.

Edit: this is Axver. Clearly, two people using one computer for Interference doesn't always work out.

You know, I was there, FRONT ROW, and I never heard WOWY begin. I thought it was just a straight OOC, so this is a bit of a surprise to me.

I'm not sure if it should be counted as a snippet or not. There's an instance from 1982 where the band begin Twilight but Bono changes to OOC and that's counted as a snippet, but at that show, Twilight wasn't played at all and the intro is much more audible and noticeable.

Actually, from the bootleg it sounds like WoWY was supposed to follow UTEOTW, and the loop did start, but Adam decided that the band shoudld play Out of Control, so he played the bassline, and Larry joined in, and it took a while for Edge to get a guitar / change his effects. They really flubbed the performance too, skipping Edge's solo and massacring the bridge, so i dont think the song was in the setlist at all. Adam's who to thank for this performance of Out of Control!

discothequeLP said:
Adam's who to thank for this performance of Out of Control!

I thought Larry plaed impeccabley as well. I particularly likes the drumwork heading into the outro.

Purpolicious aye Axver.:wink: Now we know why you've gone to Tennasee. *snip, snip*. Ladies & Gents... Axveriene.

I'm suprised you missed it though. Clearly at that point though the last thing on you're mind is administering snippet status. My only thought would be... the loop + bassline is such a significant part of the song that having that played for 10 whole seconds would probably be enough for a snippet. Wait for the boot though prolly to make a decent desicion.

I'm not sure if it should be counted as a snippet or not. There's an instance from 1982 where the band begin Twilight but Bono changes to OOC and that's counted as a snippet, but at that show, Twilight wasn't played at all and the intro is much more audible and noticeable.

Haha, that's right, I told you that one. That's Werchter.

http://www.u2-vertigo-tour.com/show555.html

I think they changed because Bono had lost his voice, and Twilight is hard to sing or something. Yeah. And Out Of Control is apparently easier. That's a great performance of Rejoice on that gig, by the way. What's my point? *Shrug*

He lost his voice but they still recorded three songs and released as b-sides, strange

Bono called out for Adam to play OOC, Adam never actually played WOWY chords at all, both intro's are quite similar, but it was always OOC.

Interesting that on both Elevation and Vertigo tour's the debut of Out Of Control totally suprised The Edge... 3rd night in Chicago in 2001 they set out to play 11'Clock Tick Tock and Out Of Control was meant to be played on the 4th night. However after they flubbed the begiining of 11'Clock, Bono thought they may as well just make it up to the audience and shock them with 2 old classics in 1 go.

From the bootleg it can clearly be heard that Bono shouts smth like "Adam Clayton, Out of Control" at the end of UTEOTW and then when Adam started to play WOWY intro Bono kept repeating this "Adam Clayton" until Adam figured out what he should play. Backing track sounded like WOWY clearly for the first 10 secs or so too. I wasn't there and can't be 100% sure but....

I wasn't there, but I *am* 100 percent sure that the backing track to With or Without You started playing, as Bono was saying "Adam Clayton..." over and over.

I have no idea whether Adam played a note of WOWY, but the backing music had CLEARLY started to play, and continued for several seconds before it faded down, and they paused and then pumped into OOC.

To Axver, did Adam have a pick in his hand when starting the intro?

With or Without You is played with the fingers.

Out of Control is with a pick.

If he started the intro but didn't have a pick, WOWY was gonna be played. Though he keeps his picks on his bass, so it's not a problem to switch if need be.

Last edited:
thrillme said:
To Axver, did Adam have a pick in his hand when starting the intro?

With or Without You is played with the fingers.

Out of Control is with a pick.

If he started the intro but didn't have a pick, WOWY was gonna be played. Though he keeps his picks on his bass, so it's not a problem to switch if need be.

I honestly wouldn't have a clue, as I was on the rail on Edge's side and trying to see Bono at that point in time. I'm definitely not saying WOWY didn't play; I was just so caught up in the moment of UTEOTW's awesome conclusion and Bono yelling for OOC that I never noticed it.

Haha no way should it count as a snippet! You can clearly hear from the bootleg that, although the WOWY loop begins, they change plans on the last minute and proceed into an impromptu version of OOC.

Back
Top Bottom