U2 tipped for NZ concerts - Stuff

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
U2 tipped for NZ concerts

In the name of love – and big ticket sales – Irish supergroup U2 are likely to play Wellington next year as part of their world tour.

Music industry sources in Australia told The Dominion Post that U2 were seriously considering playing New Zealand early next year once the band confirmed dates in Australia.

U2 are touring Europe till late August, then the United States for the rest of the year. They plan to play Japan and Australia in January and February.

The band has the pulling power to fill Wellington's Westpac Stadium, which sold more than 30,000 tickets to Neil Diamond's show in March.

But sources said U2 had preferred indoor venues on their tours and this was likely to influence their decision. Wellington's biggest indoor venue, The Events Centre, can hold about 5000, which could mean more than one concert.

Centre manager Neville Brown said he had had no contact about U2 playing at the waterfront venue.

The boss of Auckland's planned 12,000-seat Vector Arena said in May that there was "more than a chance" U2 would play Auckland next year.

Industry sources in Wellington said contracts had been signed in New Zealand to supply sound equipment for U2 shows in the capital.

Westpac Stadium chief executive David Gray said he had not been directly contacted about U2 playing there next year. But it was possible promoters – without mentioning U2 by name – were considering bringing the band here.

"There are a lot of inquiries about dates. It's the usual story, you get calls from promoters (and) you don't know what the act is.

"We are not in direct negotiations with anybody, but we're aware that U2 is a possibility of touring this part of the world."

Pacific Entertainment Promotions director Ian Magan had heard nothing about U2 appearing in Wellington, neither had U2's last down-under tour operator, Australia's Dainty Consolidated Entertainment.

U2 last played Auckland and Christchurch in 1993, but Wellington did not have a big enough venue.

--Stuff

This is incredible news. I made it to Seattle 1, but was going to miss Portland due to my moving to New Zealand at the end of November. Now I might actually get the chance to hear them perform One Tree Hill live. I'm very excited.

This would be so worth the trip back to gorgeous Wellington. :drool:

Just the THOUGHT of One Tree Hill live ... :drool: :drool:

Yes I have also heard that too!

Hey thisISevilbono I was down in Dunedin last weekend for a 21st. Im from Christchurch, and maybe our chances of hosting another concert are greater because of the new grandstand... if they decide to do indoor venues here in NZ, then Christchurch is screwed.

Last edited:
traditionally, europe doesnt have the best indoor areas for music shows. also the band's desire to want to do something new to keep the tour fresh and exciting.

they seem to have been influenced by the rolling stones on their last world tour who mixed it between outdoor gigs, indoor arenas and theatres.

but yay for them coming back to this side of the world! :)

dsmith2904 said:
U2 tipped for NZ concerts

They plan to play Japan and Australia in January and February.

--Stuff

Woo hoo! great news for Kiwis and Aussies! Jan is going to be great! - just bought Billy Connolly tix and to (hopefully) get U2 tix as well will make for a great start to the year! :up: :happy: :dancing:

Back
Top Bottom