Exclusive: U2 Tour To Kick Off March 1 - Billboard

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
Exclusive: U2 Tour To Kick Off March 1

Look for U2 to start its world tour on March 1 in Florida in support of its new Interscope album, "How To Dismantle an Atomic Bomb," the band's manager Paul McGuinness tells Billboard.

"We'll play approximately 35 shows in the arenas in the spring in the U.S., McGuinness says. U2 will then play 30 stadium shows across Europe, return to North America for another 35-date arena swing and the proceed to Japan and Australia.

Rumors have circulated that potential openers include Snow Patrol and the Scissor Sisters. McGuinness said no decision has been made, but added "We love Snow Patrol. Their producer, Jacknife Lee, also worked on U2's album and they're Irish. There's a close connection."

The upcoming trek will be promoted by Clear Channel Entertainment's TNA International, which is spearheaded by president Arthur Fogel. U2's 2001 tour, also promoted by Fogel, grossed $104 million from 106 shows worldwide, according to Billboard Boxscore.

Continuing the move toward a more rock-driven approach emphasized on 2000's "All That You Can't Leave Behind," the new set is front-loaded with a host of satisfyingly straightforward tracks that should thrill U2 fans. Highlights include the chiming, strident "City of Blinding Lights," the powerful Edge showcase "All Because of You" and the emotive, atmospheric "Miracle Drug," where Bono scales the heights of his vocal register.

First single "Vertigo" is in third week at No. 1 on Billboard's Modern Rock Tracks chart.

-- Melinda Newman, L.A. and Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.

http://www.billboard.com/bb/daily/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1000718870

Typical.

By now the EU has more people then the US, a common currency and STILL the US gets more shows then the rest of the world combined. And probably a third of the European shows will be in the UK. Somebody should give McGuinness a new atlas and tell him that the world has changed. He has served the band very well in the past but its well past the 80's. They could do 3 times as much shows in Europe and still sell. South-America alone could probably do 30 dates and there are countries in the east other then Australia and Japan.

didn't they start off the elevation tour in maimi.? Whatever. If true I am so there. I want to see their opening and closing nights on this tour.. Plus go over to Ireland.(my u2 life long dream)

Muad'zin said:
Typical.

By now the EU has more people then the US, a common currency and STILL the US gets more shows then the rest of the world combined. And probably a third of the European shows will be in the UK. Somebody should give McGuinness a new atlas and tell him that the world has changed. He has served the band very well in the past but its well past the 80's. They could do 3 times as much shows in Europe and still sell. South-America alone could probably do 30 dates and there are countries in the east other then Australia and Japan.

N. America is the most profitable market. Its as simple as that. Its why we get more shows, more albums are sold here than in Europe so it makes sense that they would promote the album more here. Venue and tour costs tend to be lower here as well also making it more profitable. It is a business after all.

Blue Room said:

N. America is the most profitable market. Its as simple as that. Its why we get more shows, more albums are sold here than in Europe so it makes sense that they would promote the album more here. Venue and tour costs tend to be lower here as well also making it more profitable. It is a business after all.

Actually some of that is false. U2's last album ATYCLB sold an equal amount of albums in Europe as it did in North America.

But lets remember that U2 is playing STADIUMS in Europe which on average hold 3 times as many people as Arena's. In that sense, the European 30 date Stadium tour is the equilalvent of 60 to 90 Arena shows.

STING2 said:

Actually some of that is false. U2's last album ATYCLB sold an equal amount of albums in Europe as it did in North America.

But lets remember that U2 is playing STADIUMS in Europe which on average hold 3 times as many people as Arena's. In that sense, the European 30 date Stadium tour is the equilalvent of 60 to 90 Arena shows.

Bummer for the people at the stadium shows, though, since only a small percentage of the seats there can equal the quality of the seats in an arena. I would rather see an arena show, myself.

StingII, I'm not going to dispute you because you are the attendence pro. BUT, N. America is the most important market as far as overall money making and attention. There is more than just album sales after all. I'm not saying Europe is not profitable. But there is a reason they spend more time here and its not because they are trying to screw Europe.

STING2 said:

The reason U2 does more dates in the US is simple. Money. Yes, population of Europe may be even greater than in the US, but what is the average salary ? and corresponding ticket price ? There is a greater amount of disposabel income over here. Also, many people here are far away from shows due to the population densities, so having more shows allows more people who want to see them to get to them.

GiacomoHoldini said:

Bummer for the people at the stadium shows, though, since only a small percentage of the seats there can equal the quality of the seats in an arena. I would rather see an arena show, myself.

Yes it really really nice sitting on your ass at a show,who wants to be at the front ,jumping around ,bet your glad you live in the good old US of HAY

HA HAR

Larnyboy said:

Yes it really really nice sitting on your ass at a show,who wants to be at the front ,jumping around ,bet your glad you live in the good old US of HAY

HA HAR

I've seen many many arena U2 shows here, never sat down once even though I always had an assigned seat.. Yup, sure am glad to be able to actually *see* them, got some beer drinking room, no one spilling shit or pushing me around, my relatively short S.O can see too. The USA ahs the best arenas and we get 2 tours almost every time. I AM glad I live here......enjoy your getting shoved around, having to line up early to get close, and the comfort of the stadium GA....

cardosino said:

I've seen many many arena U2 shows here, never sat down once even though I always had an assigned seat.. Yup, sure am glad to be able to actually *see* them, got some beer drinking room, no one spilling shit or pushing me around, my relatively short S.O can see too. The USA ahs the best arenas and we get 2 tours almost every time. I AM glad I live here......enjoy your getting shoved around, having to line up early to get close, and the comfort of the stadium GA....

i have heard that there are alot of restrictions in amurica,but if your happy to be restrictade ,then im happy for ya pal,seen them my self a few times NEVER sat down ,or had a seat in front , behind or to the side of me ,me thinks u should have a look at the kamasutra of gigs because buddy theres more postions to discover
swing ya pants pal

Larnyboy said:

i have heard that there are alot of restrictions in amurica,but if your happy to be restrictade ,then im happy for ya pal,seen them my self a few times NEVER sat down ,or had a seat in front , behind or to the side of me ,me thinks u should have a look at the kamasutra of gigs because buddy theres more postions to discover
swing ya pants pal

What kinds of restrictions have you "heard" we have ?

Seen them about 60 times, all over the UK, US, and Europe from1981 to now, I think I've got a pretty good handle on the "gig" thing, but gee, thanks for your interest, and your creative English/spelling.

cardosino said:

What kinds of restrictions have you "heard" we have ?

Seen them about 60 times, all over the UK, US, and Europe from1981 to now, I think I've got a pretty good handle on the "gig" thing, but gee, thanks for your interest, and your creative English/spelling.
dont metion it mate

Elevation tour had close to 80 dates in North America. The United States has the two of the largest metropolitan areas in the world, NY and Los Angeles.

(http://geography.about.com/library/weekly/aa072897.htm)

75 percent of the US population lives within a days drive of each other. (and the other 25 percent are all within a day or so on the West Coast) That is something like 210 million people. Not counting Canada. Most new US arenas actually sound good (i.e. LA Staples, Boston Fleet) and U2 has historically toured very heavily in the US. I understand the EU point of view, but I would be hard pressed to believe that U2 could sell out (or book) 80 European shows (each holding on the avg of 20,000) in one year. Does anyone tour that heavily in Europe? Madonna didn't, McCartney didn't, maybe I am wrong. Just doesn't seem like much of a debate.

Last edited:
No guesses required- the same venue where they ended the tour last time, American Airlines Arena in downtown Miami. It won't be the arena in Sunrise, FL (arena is booked 2/27, and U2 will still be rehearsing that day)

:huh: I guess you missed the heartspace of the Elevation tour. Give me a GA space in front of U2 anyday. Let me dance freely with them. Keep the seats for yourself and have a great show!

lukea said:
No guesses required- the same venue where they ended the tour last time, American Airlines Arena in downtown Miami. It won't be the arena in Sunrise, FL (arena is booked 2/27, and U2 will still be rehearsing that day)

But U2 didnt rehearse at the arena in Sunrise either for Elevation. So it being booked for 2/27 is not an indicator. I wont be suprised if its either arena really. I'm pretty sure though they will rehearse at the same place they did last time which is the old Miami Arena.

U2girl91289 said:
any guess when they'll be in NY?

Do you really need to guess? MSG :wink:

Anyway, dont count on GA ticketing this tour either, nothing is a given. Hell, this could be the most expensive tour in the history of concerts for all we know.

cardosino said:
thanks for your interest, and your creative English/spelling.

This is the second time I've seen you insult somebody's English.

On an international forum, this is LAME, LAME, LAME. :down:

Ok call me an idealistic college radio-listening nutjob, but couldn't they avoid Clear Channel? I can't imagine the band agrees with anything Clear Channel stands for--and by that I mean censorhip and conservatism, among other reprehensible b.s. U2 shows sell out almost instantaneously, so I don't think promotion is really a problem that the band has.....

HelloAngel said:

The upcoming trek will be promoted by Clear Channel Entertainment's TNA International, which is spearheaded by president Arthur Fogel. U2's 2001 tour, also promoted by Fogel, grossed $104 million from 106 shows worldwide, according to Billboard Boxscore.

Ticket prices for U2 Tour 2005

I ran across this tidbit in one of my messages from another U2list
about ticket prices, since I am new to all this stuff-I have no idea
where they got the info, so take it for what's worth:

"At the moment, it appears that U.S. pricing will be approximately
$125 for
lower deck and $45 for the GA floor and upper deck. It may vary a
bit from city"

Here's the deal. I want to go to the Miami concert because my friends in the States live there and that's cheaper to fly to from Honduras.

I have never been to a U2 concert nor have I ever even dreamt of going to one but now I will do my best effort to see them.

Are the tickets on sale yet? Where? :( I don't want to stay out.

Back
Top Bottom