(01-01-2005) U2 Set to Return to Australia in December -- Sun-Herald

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
U2 Set to Return in December

By Christine Sams
January 2, 2005
The Sun-Herald

Details of rock group U2's much-anticipated Australian tour have been leaked on the internet.

The Irish supergroup look set to arrive in Australia in early December and play in Brisbane and Melbourne before four concerts at the Sydney SuperDome at Homebush Bay on December 13, 14, 17 and 18.

They will be the final shows in U2's global tour which begins in Miami on March 1.

News of the Australian dates is likely to cause intense excitement among rock'n'roll fans who were upset three years ago when the band decided against bringing their Elevation tour to Australia.

This year's tour will centre on songs from the album How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb, which went to No.1 when released in Australia.

Rumours are already circulating that the band members will take an extended holiday in Australia when their tour finishes.

U2 last played in Sydney during their PopMart tour back in 1998.

I reckon! What the hell is with this? Play two in Sydney and venture over to Adelaide. We're not that small of a city. Over 1 million compared to Sydney's 6. Give us a break. If you're gonna make the effort to come all the way to Australia, go to every decent sized city. Down kick us in the balls again, as they've done on so many other tours.

This is indicative of how crappy U2 management has booked tours the last ten years.

They overbooked POPmart in the states, underplayed Elevation everywhere, and now they're skipping places they haven't played in nearly a decade.

Lower the bar.

:madspit:

Last edited:
you all sound pretty angry about the absence of the u2 tour comeing to your states, well at the moment im just hopefull they will even come no matter what state they go to. i can fully understand but im going no matter where they go this time if they come as ill never see them, brissy girl

I have a five hour drive to get to Sydney, but my biggest problem will be getting tickets.
I don't know whether to go with Ticketec online or whoever is going to sell them. But that site is going to be jammed up ... or maybe go with one of the other online sellers.

Chizip said:
doesnt look good for australia now does it

No, not while the Euro-North American beast is being fed. :madspit:

I think a Rest of the World 4th leg is very unlikely unless they've got another album up their sleeve somewhere.

The only Australians to see U2 this tour will be the staff of luxury North Queensland resorts.

Last edited:
Confused

How can U2 be playing gigs in Australia on thoughs dates mentioned in the article when their supposed playing gigs in St.Louis(14.12.05) and Salt Lake City(17.12.05) on the second leg of the US tour?:confused: Someones got their info wrong!

they'll be here. i havnt heard this much U2 on radio for the last 5 years...and tv ad's are pushing ad's for the scissor sisters, i would like to bet thats our opening act...

:wink:

I really don't want to vomit before U2 take the stage. But I will if the Scissor Sisters were to open.

First of all - the Scissor Sisters are great, but I doubt they'd tour with U2 here. There's no need to push them here.

Secondly - There is no suggestion "out there" that U2 will not be coming to Australia. Quite the opposite.

Apparently someone asked Bono last night when U2 are going to tour Australia and he said January/February 2006. Theres a thread about it over in the Zoo. Started by Leonie.

beli said:
Apparently someone asked Bono last night when U2 are going to tour Australia and he said January/February 2006. Theres a thread about it over in the Zoo. Started by Leonie.

He probably would have said the same thing if asked the question five shows into the Elevation Tour.

Bono actually said that the 4th leg, planned for early 2006, will include Mexico and Brazil in Central/South America (at least), Australia, several dates in Eastern Europe (maybe) and Asia (maybe). I've read this now from several different sources...of course, an official announcement is needed. This original thread was started before many changes occurred to the tour plans.

I don't give a flying fig who opens for them, i'm not there to see the opening band.

Assuming I can even get tickets of course :rolleyes: :rant:

Being from Adelaide, I can remember that when they played here on Nov 16th 93 we had about 29000 at Footy Park and the promoters were saying that it undersold! Now, I know FP holds 40-odd thousand people but 29000 is a bloody good turnout for Adelaide....! solution: dont choose such a stupidly big venue!

When they didnt come here for Elevation I was thinking "if it doesnt make economic sense to come here with the whole kit and caboodle, just fly yer shit to Perth (or onwards further) and do 2 nights at Memorial Drive stripped down (equipment, not clothing!) and sell out both! with minimal setup cost and, Im sure, maxed ticket prices they would make a killing"

So, I ask again, surely it cant be that economically suicidal for a band of U2's opulence to play 1 or 2 shows at a venue such as Memorial (which is one of the better venues anyway) to satisfy a hungry fanbase which has had no Soulfood since 93! AND I guarantee it would not UNDERsell!

Their biggest problem would be "where do we kick on afterwards?"

(I also repeat all of the above as argument for Perth's case)

Regardless of these facts, I will do my utmost to see them wherever they play this time - I will not miss another tour! I just hope that us poor plebs in the West/Central can get bloody tickets!

Cheers! :huh:

This is bloody great news!! just tell me how are we u2 fans going to get the good tickets??? ticketek? or some other place?

U2 coming back to Australia

I listened to an interview on a local radio station at work tonight with larry mullen and bono. Got some of the stuff they were talking about though...

* Bono said that U2 arn't finished making music yet "they can't let go" he said and that there would be more CD's to come

* U2 lost 2 million bringing the Pop tour to Australia

* U2 will be coming to Australia in January 2006

* They are trying to play all venues indoors

thanks for that news Dignity. A glimmer of hope to go on with :)

I know they had hoped for 15 000 people to attend the show I saw in Brisbane in 1998 and only 9000 were there. It suited me, but not the accountants. I hope they come back.
Indoors I suppose means the Brisbane Entertainment Centre....just in case the band read this, might I suggest The Clarence Hotel...Maclean NSW
very intimate and once again , it would suit me

peace y'all
come on down U2

please

bazza said:
This is bloody great news!! just tell me how are we u2 fans going to get the good tickets??? ticketek? or some other place?

Its more like how are we going to get tickets at all. After seeing how the shows are selling out so quickly throughout the rest of the world. Its going to be hard.

I have a question in regards to U2.com and their ticket presale.

I stupidly procrastinated and didn't subscribe before they announced that new members would not be elligible for ticket presale purchasing.
I have however been told by an existing long time member that this only applies to the current tour dates announced already.

I can't email .com and ask them because I am not a member. So does anyone know if there is any truth to this ...... or, if there is still a possibility that if I pay the US$40, I still could have a chance of ticket presale when U2 tour Australia?

Brisbane Ent Cent x 2, Laver Arena x 3, SuperDome x 5. I said ages ago it was a delay not a cancelation and it would be February.

They did look into a few ways to make the Elevation tour possible here. Remember the Aus $ was at a ridiculous low then, and tickets would have cost a mint. Some things that were thrown around included turning it into a 'mini festival', ie you pay a lot, but get a lot of bands - 4 or 5 including U2, another fairly major overseas act, and a couple of top billing Australian bands. Doing the Sydney/Melbourne Big Day Out was also briefly considered, but all agreed that that would change the whole focus of the festival, and it was shafted quickly.

lol the elevation heart at the BDO..that would rock...

no news on dates being released - hints - rumours?

Last edited:
fullautoreverse said:
lol the elevation heart at the BDO..that would rock...

no news on dates being released - hints - rumours?

Current rumour, courtesy of Access All Areas, is this:

2, 3 January 2006 - Brisbane Entertainment Centre

6, 7, 9, 10 January 2006 - Rod Laver Arena

13, 14, 17, 18 January 2006 - Sydney SuperDome

Back
Top Bottom