Fan's Perspective: Being a Teenage U2 Fan*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
By Maddy Fry

It's the pivotal moment in every U2 fan's life, that moment when the sky rips open and heaven itself seems to descend upon you with choirs of angels singing in a collective voice that turns the whole world from black and white to color, the moment when you realize that this band has title to your soul.

Like a lot of people, that moment came to me at a young age. Unlike a lot of people, however, it happened to me in 2002.

There was no heart and soul in rock 'n' roll, the days when belief had been put before ability in music had been long over. People my age only really liked pretentious hip-hop, R&B and drivelling nu-metal punk-pop, anything else just wasn't cool. It had also been well over a year since U2 had released its last album so it wasn't a brilliant time to become a born-again convert to the U2 cause.

We all know that at times being a U2 fan isn't particularly easy. Wherever you go, there's no end to the jibes about the music—after all, The Edge's guitar playing isn't that good, and would it kill him to play a solo once in a while instead of just noodling about with his FX pedals, playing all that pretentious crap? And that's not to mention Bono, the epitome of self-absorbed, posturing, egotistical celebrity. Does he think he's God or something, having so many pictures taken with starving Africans and politicians, you realize it's all a show, and by the way, didn't he once pay a vast amount of money to have his hat flown to him personally at a charity gig? None of this would hurt so much if it were about any other band.

All of this is magnified about 10 times when you're a teenager. I am not yet 16 and even after the release of "How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb," the Vertigo Tour and the iPod ad, to be a teenage U2 follower is still associated with being some kind of political and emotional extremist.

Admittedly, the amount of band pictures I've pasted all over my school books and folders does border on the disturbing, but the derision I feel isn't down to any fan tendencies to worship the band members as gods but simply, "How could you like a band so old?"

U2 isn't just any supposedly "old" band, being a fan of the band is not the same as being a follower of, say, Led Zeppelin or Jimi Hendrix. U2 has an aura of uniqueness that a lot of non-believers, particularly teenagers, seem to find intimidating.

This generally means that few young people can be found among the forums and fan communities on the internet. Listening to people in who are in their 30s and 40s talking about their first U2 show at Red Rocks in 1983 is inspiring but it does make someone born well after that feel slightly left out.

And getting concert tickets is harder for a teenage fan. As I'm not old enough to have a credit card, this year's tour announcement—my first tour—was followed by one of my long-suffering parents spending the whole day by the phone and the computer while I was at school, wondering where the money that I was going to pay them back with was going to materialize from.

There's also a lot of temptation when you are young. It's been said that every great rock band is like a religion and as youth culture has slid into jaded, apolitical apathy, U2 and its consciousness-raising have become more important than ever. U2's ideals of optimism and belief in the worthiness of life have kept me from getting caught up in the traditional teenage vices—binge-drinking, smoking, drugs. And in a sense, that's giving a lot up, the right to be reckless and bloody-minded is something that many of my generation hold dear.

And yet it could never compare to the kind of things you feel when those U2 moments arrive. Like when Bono talks about the crises of the world's retched and you realize that life is so much bigger than you'll ever be, and the importance and responsibility that the idea that one person can make a difference is loaded with.

And those who sneer at you for preferring the likes of "All I Want is You," "One," "Walk On" and "Miracle Drug" to anything by 50 Cent or Green Day, sometimes all you can do is pity them.

To have U2 take you into its arms when you're young is an amazing thing; you have an ideal for living, not just for adolescence, but also for life. At the very least it means being rescued from eternal pop culture damnation. But you also find yourself a better person in so many ways—humbled, yet uplifted, aware yet never cynical. Every great rock band is like a religion but U2 is salvation, sweet and pure.

It's not easy being a young U2 fan. You make a lot of sacrifices. At times it's a struggle. But that's the great thing about writing on a U2 fan site; I don't have to explain to you why I'm a fan. The struggle is worth it. You give yourself away, but in return, the band gives you something you can feel.

Great article! :up: I can certainly relate...the consensus in my school (save a few people) seems to be that "U2 sucks." :tsk: Even the people that have what I'd consider "good" tase in music seem to share this opinion. :sigh: That's the price of being a U2 fan I guess...still doesn't stop me from drawing them for practically every art assignment over the last two years :D

I have to say that the story was amazing! I know exactly how you feel because I am also not yet 16, the only person that I know of in my school who is a devoted U2 fan, except for a couple of my teachers, and I am dragging my dad to the Vertigo Tour in Minneapolis so that I can see my idols and favorite band in the world. Ahh, the sacrifices that parents will make for their children...when I told my parents that I wanted to go to the concert, they thought that I was joking, but when they finally figured out that I was serious, my stepmom forced my dad to cough up $150 to be on the floor even though he doesn't want to go, but I am convinced that I will be able to convert him by the end of the night. Also, getting a lot of flack from students is part of my everyday life because they just don't understand the intricate part that U2 plays in my life. As you said, they just can't believe that I would listen to a band that is so "old." But, I guess that they just can't understand...there is something special about a U2 fan that can't be replicated and non-fans can't quite get at or understand.

Great article.....

I'm 18 and deal with U2 prejudice everyday near enough and im from bloody Ireland...its not true that there are more U2 fans here than anywhere else all i get is more hate bah....

What i dislike about youth culture in general is the need for everyone to be pegged into one hole of only liking certain music/dressing a certain way. Most people think im into heavy metal because im a guy with long hair:madspit: It's annoying that most people who say they hate U2 know little or nothing about them other than Vertigo and Beautiful day...someone even told me 'Bono thinks everyone should worship him'?...honestly i dont know where they get this from:mad:

You know if i played Bullet the Blue Sky one of the live versions or Mofo to them they probably wouldn't believe me that that is U2...that is what i love about U2, they can got from for example on the current album Sometimes to Love and Peace in the course of one album....they cover all genres and i love that it means i can never get bored of this band, if i get tired of the electronicness of Pop (highly doubtful if i could:wink: ) i can switch straight to Boy....

haha my brother did actually play Mofo and Bullet to a few of his hevay metal friends and they are all now great U2 fans the girls in his class have even fallen for Bono:drool: One Metallica fan can now be heard humming All I Want is You through the corridors....

(just wondering anyone ever find that you get say more U2 fans among the death metal crowd for example than amongst indie kid types? well it seems so in Belfast:huh: )

I think if you just got people to sit down and listen to U2 for a bit or watch the DVDs they would become fans....ahh well...we know we are right to follow such a brilliant band...just wish some people could understand that, people can say they are a Feeder fan and not get crap for it but you say U2 and its immediately 'that Bono is a b*****d' :|

On a lighter note i stuck a big pic of Macphisto on the inside cover of my folder, my business studies teacher started giving me weird looks:D

Awesome article!! :up:

I really relate to everything you said. It's good to know that there's other young U2 fans out there :)

Last edited:
Great Article. I can so agree to this. I'm the only devoted U2 fan in a school of 1400 people so I tend to get a lot of critasicim from the jerks that thing they have a good taste in music. (I.E. Pop music fans). But i have to say that its boosted my popularity. I'm now known as that "U2 Kid" at school.

I can totally relate to this article...I only know about 1 other u2 fan and he isn't even that into them...you get made fun od because they are "SO OLD" but man there is NO other band out there like them!

i really related to that article. i became a fan when i was 10 years old. my dad would put on the Rattle and Hum VHS and watch it SO many times and have me sit down and watch it. i was very young then (1996) and didn't think watching some band would be very entertaining. but after a few weeks i really paid attention to the video and started loving the songs. i then asked my dad about other u2 material and he had a bunch of they vinyls and cds. i then started listening to Achtung Baby and Zooropa. I loved Numb and Lemon. and then i started making cassette tapes of the albums and listening to them constantly. i fell in love with u2. that was right about the time when pop would be coming out and i remember my dad and me sitting on the couch watching MTV one night and there was a show called "U2 - A2Z" which was all of their music videos played in order of title, it was a real treat because it was the first time seeing all the videos. that show was also the premiere of the "Discotheque" video. when it came on, both me and my dad were like "wtf". i asked him what this song was from and he had no idea, "must be something old" hahahah. so blah blah blah, over the years i kept loving them more. and i went to popmart in oakland for my 11th bday.

yeah, being young and loving u2 comes with challenges. none of your friends listen to u2 and it makes you frustrated that u2's music is being overlooked by this generation. the crap on the radio is shit (especially in USA between '97-'99). of course there were many people who judged me for being a u2 fan, but i knew it was just a brainwashed thought in their minds not to show any interest or love for the band.
anyways, good article, keep kickin ass u2

I love this article. I can so relate. The other day people looked at me in disbelief that I listened to them, and then started a conversation about The Ramones. I wanted to smack their igorance, calling U2 old, but they listen to the Ramones, who some are dead?

Some of my friends listen to a little, but are not into them like I am, and think I'm a nut. One of my friends even hates them, that if I'm in the car with her and U2 comes on she'll change it, just to make me mad. It's hard. But your last line sums it all up. :)

This is what U2 teens have to put up with their cool teen friends:

"Eeewww,, you like U2. They suck. OMG, they're old and ugly. They're not cool. Their music sucks. Now excuse me while I listen to Britney, Sum 41, Good Charlotte, Simple Plan, Gavin DeGraw, 50 cent, Ludicrous, Eminem, Jessica Simpson, Ciara, Fat Joe, Green Day, The Killers, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Ashlee Simpson, Kelly Clarkson, Christina, Mandy Moore, Shakira, Mariah."

God, it was painful for me to write all of those crappy so-called artists.

Windmilllane said:

"Eeewww,, you like U2. They suck. OMG, they're old and ugly. They're not cool. Their music sucks. Now excuse me while I listen to Britney, Sum 41, Good Charlotte, Simple Plan, Gavin DeGraw, 50 cent, Ludicrous, Eminem, Jessica Simpson, Ciara, Fat Joe, Green Day, The Killers, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Ashlee Simpson, Kelly Clarkson, Christina, Mandy Moore, Shakira, Mariah."

Oh I know how you feel.
I can see prehaps only 2 Bands that Will still will/could be around making music/successful after 20 years. Which Would be Green Day and The Killers.

Ah, yes: the proverbial "Eww! A non-clone! How dare you?!"
Try being a Black woman who likes them. It's worse, then. I usually reply that I only like bands whose careers are as least as old as I am.
I can't get into music that doesn' have a spiritual bent -- without going nauseatingly Christian 'rock' (Die, DC Talk, Diiiiieeee..:p). U2 makes one think. They make one laugh. Occasionally, they even make one roll one's eyes and siiigh,"WTF is up with that, mahn!"

At any rate, keep on listening to U2. You are one of the few, the proud, the outsiders! Woohoo!

I know how you feel

Don't worry, I know how you feel. People didn't understand why I was such a big U2 fan when I was in high school. I got picked on for it. In fact it's funny because now I am a teacher and deal with teenagers all day who can't stand U2. They ask me "Mr. D, who do you listen to?" I relply "U2" and I hear things like... "ewww" or "they stink" etc. etc. etc. But you know what? None of that matters. Be true to yourself and don't listen to what they say. As a teacher, it's nice to see an adolescent who isn't afraid to go against the trends of pop culture.

Believe it or not there are some people who just don't comprehend or understand U2 because they aren't capable of it. I mean it! I'm not saying these people are dumb, but you have to understand that U2 are very complex. That makes them different from other bands. Bono is by no means a shallow man. He is very deep and reflective. Some people just aren't that intellectually mature. They don't want to be bothered to worry about the poor and other socail issues. God is not important to them. Bono on the other hand openly admits that he prays and reads scripture....THIS IS NOT POPULAR TODAY!!

So, enjoy being a fan of the world's greatest and biggest rock band. Always be true to yourself. I hope you are able to get tickets for a show sometime. If not your day will come. U2 are nowhere near finished making music and tourig the world. Bono said so on "Sixty Minutes" the other night.

If you ever want to talk, email me at poligotta222@yahoo.it

Jim

Windmilllane said:

:happy: I'm closer to 30 than 20 and I STILL get that.

I'm a teenage u2 fan and actually get a lotta stick from people about it...'grandad music'... my god that irritates me. or i just get alot of patronising older u2 fans...you really can't do anything right!

It's the pivotal moment in every U2 fan's life, that moment when the sky rips open and heaven itself seems to descend upon you with choirs of angels singing in a collective voice that turns the whole world from black and white to color, the moment when you realize that this band has title to your soul.

I really love that part :heart: You are an great writer :bow:

It is so tough being a U2 fan, especially going to your first U2 concert at 14, which I did last December, but I know that whatever music any other kids are listening to isn't shaking them up and making them feel anything as deeply as U2 has made me feel. I remember something my dad told me "U2 is a horrible band to get into for your first real band. It makes everything else just noise." :heart:

Other music can be in your head, but U2's music is always in your heart :cute:

I can relate to what you said. It is only me, a teacher, a kid that I don't know, and about 2 friends that like U2 out of everyone in my school. It can be .... annoying. But the important for you to remember that you are one of the lucky ones, because you love U2, from an early, I didn't know about them, or like them until about 2 years ago. Know I love them, but just don't understand what it is like to be a U2 fan. It's like... they (the band) are a part of you, their music is you music. It just truly is amazing how one band can change the way that you see music, even life forever.

Back
Top Bottom