Fan Reaction: U2 Vertigo Tour Presale*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
By Devlin Smith, Contributing Editor

Tuesday was a day that I, and many other U2 fans, had been looking forward to for ages—the day we'd get our first crack at buying tickets for the 2005 Vertigo concert tour. At about 10 to 10 Pacific Time I went to U2.com to access the sale page, hoping that somehow I'd be served a little before the official 10 a.m. on sale.

The first thing I saw on the site that morning was a news story apologizing to European fans for the problematic presale. That didn't fill me with optimism about my own presale. I went to the sale page and refreshed, revisited and refreshed again until it was finally sales time. I chose San Diego, opening night, filled out the particulars, entered my code and hit send only to get an error message. I tried again and got another error message, followed by several more. I tried going through Ticketmaster.com itself only to get the same message. Then I went back to U2.com to find the sale page had been changed to show no tickets for sale.

After about 20 minutes of clicking, refreshing, stomping feet, tapping nails and grinding teeth, I finally got my tickets for the opening night of the Vertigo tour.

Even though it was hectic for those few minutes, my story is nothing compared to the stories of potentially thousands of fans across the world whose codes were lost, tickets given away and seats changed. Some had it easier than others, but despite the severity of the experience, most fans can agree that this special fan club presale was a complete mess.

"I got online an hour before presale to read how the East Coast fans were doing—hearing all their problems, I knew I was in for the same but hoped for the best," said Interference.com member R8drgurl. "From 10 a.m. to 11:12 a.m. I got server error messages. Then at 11:13 a.m. I finally got through and I got one ticket in section 101. I was so excited. I hit continue and no problems. Then on the last page hit purchase and got error message, 'problem processing your request.'"

When R8drgurl went back to try for another ticket, she got a message saying that her one-time-use-only code (given only to people who had paid the $20 or $40 to become full U2.com members) had already been used and was now invalid. Interference.com member tarquinsuperb's code was also lost in the presale system, as was nathan1977's.

Other fans were upset with the selection of tickets, which were notably lacking the highly desirable general admission option that places fans directly in front of the stage. "Boston—logged on—no problem," said Johnovox. "Refreshed and immediately accessed the site and requested GA. Sold out at exactly 10 a.m. Despite the fact that few, if any, GA tickets were offered, ticket brokers are now selling swaths of GA tickets all over the internet."

"Finally started getting ticket selections but balked at them because they were either nosebleeds or $165 for opposite end of the arena," said Buttercup67. "Kept throwing tickets back hoping to get closer to the stage since it became clear very quickly (10:01 a.m.) that I wasn't going to get GA."

"I was on the internet a half an hour before it began," said wolf Q. "The second that it allowed me to search for tickets I chose two GA, entered my password [and] it told that there were none available. I could not believe that GA could have possibly been sold out before the sale even began."

So many fans who took part in the presale wanted general admission tickets but ended up with seats instead, their disappointment not helped by the fact that GA seats are now readily available online. "What's upsetting to me is the fact that at 10 a.m. on the dot no GA were available for the 24th May show in Boston—but scalpers are claiming to have them already, and in seemingly plentiful amounts," said wolfeden.

Then there were the technical errors. "I do not understand how Ticketmaster was not working properly [for] a presale event," said tommywaddle. "There was an error in processing your request and I tried refreshing my screen and I was not given the option to order any tickets."

"Ticketmaster said their system was down before of the severe traffic," said nathan1977. "Did they not know this is the biggest tour of the year?"

"Tried though the web link on the e-mail I got an via U2.com, several white screens later I finally got through to the list of shows, punched in the code and waiting and waited and waited, whilst Ticketmaster was apparently trying to contact me," said djparky. "'Joshua Tree' and 'Notorious' CDs later, I got bored, clicked manual refresh and it crashed. Fearing the worst, I logged back in and, glory be, I was able to buy tickets."

Perhaps the biggest glitch of all involved seating charts for some venues changing in the midst of the presale. "After a few searches I landed two $167 tickets in section 124, row 13, which, at that time, was right next to the stage," said matt_tx00. "Then I saw the stories about 'seating charts changing,' etc., checked again, and now my tickets are five sections back, in the back of the arena."

matt_tx00 is now contemplating what steps to take next, having already written to Ticketmaster to demand a full refund or ticket change. The next move is to contact his credit card company, disputing the charge for the moved seats as "merchandise not received as advertised."

The Tuesday presale made many long-time fans nostalgic for the days of the Propaganda mail-away presales. "Through Propaganda I was able to get tickets for both UK legs of the ZooTV tour, Popmart and ticket for the first Slane Castle gig," said dezmaas. "When I used Propaganda I was always a bit scared that something would go wrong, like the tickets being lost, but it all went smoothly."

EPandAmerica got tickets for San Diego and San Jose by using a friend's code. The San Diego seats are in the upper most level and the San Jose seats are at the back of the arena. "Propaganda member since 1988," EPandAmerica said. "After getting Prop tickets for everything since Lovetown, this is the furthest away from the stage that I have ever been at a U2 concert."

"I live on the East Coast but after two failed attempts, I was to a point where if I got anything I would be great, and I got nothing," said Grindstone, who tried for tickets in Philadelphia, Chicago and Los Angeles. "After calling and emailing all eight friends, all of whom did the same exact thing as me, none of us have tickets. That's the first time in 15 years."

"I feel that many of us older Propaganda members liked the old days of snail mail," said zoodishbu. "You were still a little uncertain exactly which dates you would get but, never the less, you pretty much got what you wanted."

Not everyone had a bad experience. MrBill64 actually did score the GA tickets he'd been hoping for, as did kathode. But for many fans, this was just one more thing testing their love of U2. "All I am now is all I have ever been—a statistic," said Macphisto-UK. "Fan No. 44858 who feels conned out of $40, disgusted with the process, infuriated with the band and at this moment not really caring whether I see them or not."

"I'm not sure I want to ever see them or buy their music again if they don't make a serious effort to correct this horrible treatment of fans who deserve better," said U24Ever4Me. "What has happened has been scandalous. What little has come out of 'official' response has been inadequate, to put it mildly."

Since the presale began at 10 a.m. GMT on Tuesday, there have been several articles posted on U2.com about the sale. The first were directed at European fans and included an apology from Ticketmaster. "An automatic email link had been set up on the website to help any customers with an invalid code," the letter said. "Ticketmaster has been working to resolve issues concerning access codes and will be contacting all customers affected with further instructions on how to purchase tickets."

The latest letter, addressed mainly to fans in the United States, was posted on Thursday. "We know that subscribers experienced difficulties buying their tickets and we're pleased that those problems are now being ironed out," the letter said. Later on, the unsigned letter added: "We are very aware that some people seem to have abused the system to scalp on eBay or similar sites. We are currently looking into the possibility of identifying these people and withdrawing their tickets. Any help you can give us on this would be gratefully received."

Is this statement enough for all the fans that were put out by the presale? I, personally, was, and still am, hoping for a little more. With the tour, three Grammy nominations and Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction, 2005 could be one of U2's biggest years ever; hopefully incidences like this won't mar it completely for the band and its legions of loyal fans.

Last edited:
Thiis is the worse case I have ever seen with all of these crazy situations going on. I have never had a problem getting U2 tickets before especially the way that they have done this time has been extremely nonprofessional and so out of character for U2. I understand that they have people working for them but you would think with such an anticipated concert on the way, that they would have thought clearly about what type of demand U2 are and have been. I have been a fan for over 20 years now and I am so appalled about what is going on. I used to belong to Propaganda in 87. They sent me four issues and that was it. I thought that maybe they didn't exist anymore but i was wrong. I started to sign up for a free membership for U2.com in late Dec. Every time I would put my username and my password, it never let me in. I tried different usernames and other passwords and I still didn't get in. I would send complaints towards contact to U2.com and they never would respond. I felt like such a fool and I didn't understand why it was working for other people. Well I tried to subscribe a week !/2 before the tickets went on pre-sale. The site wouldn't take my credit card. I tried many times. I was so pissed. So I had no way of even getting pre-sale tickets. I live here in Los Angeles and I wanted to hit The Arrowhead Pond and also Staples. I have neither. When I saw The Unforgettable Fire Tour, I got up at 5:30 am and went to wait in line at a department store parking lot. There were people there but not as much as The Joshua Tree Tour line. For the Joshua Tree I went both nights at The L.A Sports Arena, which is too small for U2 to even hold 4 day shows. So what they do now it seems is hit the big cities, ignore the rest of America and make quick cash that way. Even in Europe they are playing Stadiums so they have to play alot of shows, so they can make more of a profit. I am a huge U2 fan and i am so hurt by this. I feel that they really don't care about the fans anymore. I feel in ways that Bono has sold his soul and it breaks my heart to say this. I know alot of you won't agree with what I am saying but this is the way I feel. Even the quality of products like the T-Shirts they sell are not even as good as they used to be. I remember hearing during The Joshua Tree, that Larry made sure that the quality of the clothes were really good. I am happy for the people that got tickets and I hope you guys have a great time, but honestly for me, i don't have that kind of money to spend. The most i payed for tickets was Elevation and that was $250 a piece. Okay i am going to bed now God Bless everyone Nite:larry: :adam: :bono: :edge: :grumpy: :eek: :scream:

Last edited:
Since no one asked me for my opinion about the presales this week, let me add this to this thread:

As someone who has followed U2 since 1981 and as someone who has seen many ups and downs with this band - I SIMPLY CAN'T AGREE WITH THOSE WHO ARE CRITICIZING U2.

Be upset with Ticketmaster. Fanfire and even PM if you must, but leave the band out of this!

Until we know more than we do now about the intricacies of the presales debacle (I got nosebleed seats), let's give this band who has given us all that they could through their 25 years in the music industry the benefit of a doubt.

I HAVE NEVER KNOWN U2 TO TURN THEIR BACKS ON US - and I don't think that they're going to start now.

WE have shown our lack of judgment and our lack of rational perspective by our constant whining and complaining (which is reaching the ad naseum point with me) and we show NO Love and Respect for U2 and their music by our ungratefunessl and selfishness.

I would seldom say this but I think it is apprpriate now: if you no longer want to show U2 the Love and Respect that they deserve from us - then it behooves you (and me) to find another band to follow.

This ONE obviously isn't for you!

I WILL continue to FOLLOW U2.

:adam: :larry: :edge: :hug: :bono: :love:

It's true that there are bigger forces at work here and that the band should not be blamed for the bullshit. That said, the ordeal was so incredibly frustrating that a) i need to vent and b) we need ideas.
I can't help but feel violated that at 10:01 last tuesday i could not get a general admission seat in philli, nyc or either boston show. For $40 it was my privilidge to purchase the same junk i ended up with today in the general sale (nosebleed or behind the stage - both sets of tickets to the tune of $95 which rendered me completly broke).
Now i've done the math and realize that when - what, a million? - people are all competing for 15,000 tickets at each of these venues that there's gonna be a lot of unhappy people. That said, i really hope that there's some creative thinking out there to help remedy this. At the very least, the inclusion of a couple of huge outdoor venues strategically placed throughout the country would help (a'la Slane Castle). At least then people could hear the band and the whole thing wouldn't have a bitter borgeouis taste.
I can't help but thinking that the GA seats in these little arenas are going to be occupied by yawning middle agers who really could care less about the band but either scored the seats corporately or by virtue of the fact that plunking down $600 for an online premium ticket is no big deal to them. Regardless of who's to blame (if anyone), it's fucking wrong.

Jamila said:
Since no one asked me for my opinion about the presales this week, let me add this to this thread:

As someone who has followed U2 since 1981 and as someone who has seen many ups and downs with this band - I SIMPLY CAN'T AGREE WITH THOSE WHO ARE CRITICIZING U2.

Be upset with Ticketmaster. Fanfire and even PM if you must, but leave the band out of this!

Until we know more than we do now about the intricacies of the presales debacle (I got nosebleed seats), let's give this band who has given us all that they could through their 25 years in the music industry the benefit of a doubt.

I HAVE NEVER KNOWN U2 TO TURN THEIR BACKS ON US - and I don't think that they're going to start now.

WE have shown our lack of judgment and our lack of rational perspective by our constant whining and complaining (which is reaching the ad naseum point with me) and we show NO Love and Respect for U2 and their music by our ungratefunessl and selfishness.

I would seldom say this but I think it is apprpriate now: if you no longer want to show U2 the Love and Respect that they deserve from us - then it behooves you (and me) to find another band to follow.

This ONE obviously isn't for you!

I WILL continue to FOLLOW U2.

:adam: :larry: :edge: :hug: :bono: :love:

U2 is PM, though. I still love U2 and am incredibly excited about the San Diego shows and, hopefully, the others I get to go to as well but know that the four members of U2, as partners in Principle Management, do have a say in the partnerships made, venues selected and so on, so I can't honestly forgive them any fault in this mess and am waiting for a better response from the band, Principle Management, Ticketmaster and similar agencies than, "We didn't know that many people would want tickets." The only party I feel isn't to blame in this particular mess is FanFire because they didn't run the presale, U2.com and Ticketmaster/international ticketing agencies did.

I like to go to the in omaha Nebraska USA But I was send my code but now I can find it I will keep looking or maybe someone can help or send me my code? Sincerely U2 Fan Chris

Chris Nowicki said:
I like to go to the in omaha Nebraska USA But I was send my code but now I can find it I will keep looking or maybe someone can help or send me my code? Sincerely U2 Fan Chris

Sign in to U2.com, your code will be on the welcome screen.

Back
Top Bottom